Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 as a backup camera ? Please help me decide !

Howdy,

July is a Sales month here in France, and I came across an insane deal for the K-01 from a well-established brick and mortar store.

They offer the K-01 with DA 40mm XS kit for less than 500$ !

When I saw the ad I told myself that the deal was too good to pass up, but now I'm starting to wonder if I really need it.

IMHO the big selling points over the K-5 that I already own would be the focus-peaking system, which should prove really helpful with my manual focus lenses, and the DA 40 XS itself which would be a convenient companion to the K-01 for candids/street shooting, or general walkaround.

I am prettty sure that Pentax is going to announce a successor to the K-01 at Photokina, should I wait for it ?

I am also really interested in the upcoming Sigma DP 1 (or 2) Merrill as a second camera, but that would be a very different approach are fitted with a non-interchangeable prime lens.

Thanks in advance for your help !

07-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

For that 399 euro I would say buy the set. When you don't need the 40mm xs, sell it for 149 euro, leaving you with a 250 euro costing K-01. What can go wrong?

P.S. I don't expect a K-02 this year.
07-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matchete Quote
I am prettty sure that Pentax is going to announce a successor to the K-01 at Photokina, should I wait for it ?
I think that is very unlikely to happen. I'd say if you like it and have the funds for it, go for it.
07-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To pay under $500 including the xs40, that is amazing. If all you do is stills then I think you've covered it. If video is of any interest, the K-01 can do more in that department: more features and better codec/compression. My K-5 is set to 720p in medium-quality mode, that's sufficient for me.. I think?

07-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Howdy,
July is a Sales month here in France, and I came across an insane deal for the K-01 from a well-established brick and mortar store.
They offer the K-01 with DA 40mm XS kit for less than 500$ !
Do they offer that in an online store? 'cause if I check my favorite pricing websites I can't get a deal in that range…
07-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couldn't go wrong

I purchased mine because! Well now I am down to one arm for a couple of months the K-01 is just the perfect camera with the 40mm. I have been shooting lots with it and some half decent shots I might add.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/190076-misc-daily-recovery-photos.html

This is my thread for the daily recovery all shot with the bumble bee.
07-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kheldour Quote
Do they offer that in an online store? 'cause if I check my favorite pricing websites I can't get a deal in that range…
I'll go to the store tomorrow to see the K-01 in person.

I will ask them if they have an online store and if they ship to EU countries.
07-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I bit the bullet

Kheldour, they have an online store and do ship to EU countries, here is their website:

Groupe Images Photo - appareils photo num

07-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
I am also really interested in the upcoming Sigma DP 1 (or 2) Merrill as a second camera, but that would be a very different approach are fitted with a non-interchangeable prime lens
The Sigma DP series concentrate on two subject types; limited portraits and limited landscapes. Sure there will always be the megapixel debate for that type of sensor. But for those two subject types the Sigma is considerably better than any non full frame up to about the 15mp range. And yes even though the lens is not interchangeable any of the DP models offer an optcally incredible lens. Even most slr lens cannot match the DP lens.

So unless you really happen to speacilize in portraits; I would not recommend any of the DP's.
07-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wich colour did you take and how many euro's did it cost?
07-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Wow I guess 399 euro. I could have driven to Metz, look at the Tour de france and go home with a cheap K-01 last week.
07-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The Sigma DP series concentrate on two subject types; limited portraits and limited landscapes. Sure there will always be the megapixel debate for that type of sensor. But for those two subject types the Sigma is considerably better than any non full frame up to about the 15mp range. And yes even though the lens is not interchangeable any of the DP models offer an optcally incredible lens. Even most slr lens cannot match the DP lens.

So unless you really happen to speacilize in portraits; I would not recommend any of the DP's.
Some of the samples on these pages look quite stunning:

Sample Photo Gallery | SIGMA DP2 Merrill : Special Contents

Google ??

But as you said the use is very restrictive, even if the DP1 will have a 28mm equivalent so maybe usable for a wider variety of subjects.

@RonHendriks1966: Yes I got the silver K-01 with the DA 40 2.8 XS for 399€.

They told me that they still had copies in some of their stores, so if you want to grab another one it's still time