Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #16

A screenshot from my K-01:

Is it a proof for you or I misunderstand something?

08-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #17

I know I am coming to this thread a month late, but:

I have just bought a K-01. I had read that TAv was possible, but then seing that it wasn't on the dial thought it must have been a mistake. So good to see it does have it after all.

Mastermisho, I think you have misunderstood what RonHendriks meant (though, to be fair, what he said was ambiguous.)

You can set the lowest iso setting, in that if you turn off highlight correction then the lowest iso will be available.

But I assume that what Ron meant was that you can't set what you want to be the lowest iso setting. For example, if I want the lowest iso setting to be 800, I can't do that.

That said, I am not sure why you would want to do that in TAv. In Av, it would sometimes be useful to do that, in order to keep the shutter speeds higher.
08-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #18

I understand, thank you rob_k20d!
08-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mastermisho Quote
Is it a proof for you or I misunderstand something?
QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
Mastermisho, I think you have misunderstood what RonHendriks meant (though, to be fair, what he said was ambiguous.)

You can set the lowest iso setting, in that if you turn off highlight correction then the lowest iso will be available.

But I assume that what Ron meant was that you can't set what you want to be the lowest iso setting. For example, if I want the lowest iso setting to be 800, I can't do that.

That said, I am not sure why you would want to do that in TAv. In Av, it would sometimes be useful to do that, in order to keep the shutter speeds higher.
QuoteOriginally posted by mastermisho Quote
I understand, thank you rob_k20d!
Missed out on this later on. But well explained.

I already adjusted to the situation. I sometimes now use bracketing to make three shots (for portrait) and that we even can do in RAW (so 3 RAW images in a 6fps speed recorded).

03-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Discovered Tav mode by accident, trying to take a picture of an airplane flying along.

Had the K-01 in M Manual, with the shutter speed and aperture set, and the Auto-ISO from 100-3200. As you know, in M, setting the ISO on Auto-ISO puts the K-01 into Tav mode (not that I even knew Tav existed). But the Tav image was all washed out... way overexposed! Why? Because I ignored the flashing red warning - and failed to increase my shutter speed or narrow the aperture to fit the ISO 100 that the K-01 was quite properly picking for the bright scene. And, if you ignore the warning and still press the shutter button, it will take the picture wide open.

Got a lot of help about this from Audiobomber on Dpreview... and hope this helps anyone else messing around with Tav! The only reference in the manual is footnote 2 on page 81, one sentence. Lots of luck, newbie me!

Last edited by jon404; 03-08-2013 at 12:40 AM.
03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

So -- today, with my 16-45 lens, I went down to the marsh near the sea, at sunset. A cold day -- and let me tell you, when it's so cold your hands hurt, the K-01 is a Godsend -- easy to hold and use with stiff fingers.

Testing the K-01's 'secret' TAv mode, where, on M manual, you set the aperture and shutter speed, but use Auto-ISO. I've learned that TAv isn't the best choice for airplane-pix with that steady sky light. But, it IS useful with light falling, changing fast, when you want to keep your settings. Like sunset! Used f/5.6 and two shutter speeds... 1/200 for the wide-angle of the marsh (the K-01 chose ISO 250), and 1/320 for the bridge at sunset (the K-01 chose ISO 100), and the train (the K-01 chose ISO 640). Pix below.

Made some edits with Xara Designer... besides cropping and mild sharpening , added some blue to the upper-right sky in the wide-angle marsh image. Added an orange gradient rectangle above the clouds in the sunset pic, as that area was sort of washed out on the original. Saturated the clouds at the right side of the train picture. But the Pentax lens colors, right from the camera, are wonderful. What a fine lens!
Attached Images

03-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well how cold exactly...the weather looks pretty good there . Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like Los Penasquitos lagoon over by Torrey Pines state beach! Makes me a bit homesick...my wife and I used to walk along the beach there and up that bluff back when we were undergrads at UCSD. Good tips regarding Tav by the way.
03-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Cold is relative! 50 degrees F yesterday, and a stiff wind. Enough to send Californians running to heated indoor shopping malls. I'm 69, and feel the cold more than I used to. Yes -- it's Los Penasquitos, by Torrey Pines State Beach... never changes, so far we've kept the developers far, far away.

TAv is tricky. Got a good comment from Audiobomber on DPreview that I should use base ISO 100 as long as possible -- to allow adding exposure later in post without running into noise. This advice will, at twilight, drive me to drink, to steady my hands as the sun and my shutter speeds sink lower and lower. Maybe I can get some Federal research money, before the well dries up, to study 'APS-C Photography -- A Chronic Alcoholism Precursor'... something like that.

Last edited by jon404; 03-09-2013 at 03:52 PM.
03-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Cold is relative! 50 degrees F yesterday, and a stiff wind. Enough to send Californians running to heated indoor shopping malls. I'm 69, and feel the cold more than I used to. Yes -- it's Los Penasquitos, by Torrey Pines State Beach... never changes, so far we've kept the developers far, far away.

TAv is tricky. Got a good comment from Audiobomber on DPreview that I should use base ISO 100 as long as possible -- to allow adding exposure later in post without running into noise. This advice will, at twilight, drive me to drink, to steady my hands as the sun and my shutter speeds sink lower and lower. Maybe I can get some Federal research money, before the well dries up, to study 'APS-C Photography -- A Chronic Alcoholism Precursor'... something like that.
I know what you mean...having moved to central west Florida hasn't done anything to thicken up my blood. What passed for a cold spell over here a couple of days ago would be shorts wearing weather in other parts In any case I did a double take when I saw your pictures as I recognized it right off the bat...even showed my wife and she nailed it too. Good luck dipping in that well!