Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE, USA
Posts: 1,302
40 ltd vs kit 40 pancakes

Anyone up grade the K-01 standard 40 pancake kit lens to the 40 ltd? Did you notice a worthwhile IQ change between the two lenses?

07-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member
fotogaffer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 716
I have both lenses. You can check the excellent review posted on this forum comparing the image quality between these lenses. I don't see much difference in everyday use to justify an "upgrade" to the 40 limited. However, the filter size of the 40 limited is what makes the difference for me, as I can share filters (UV, CP, ND) with my other limiteds with the same 49 mm filter diameter. The 27 mm filter diameter of the 40 XS is an odd size and I'm not keen on acquiring another set of filters in this size if and when available. I find myself using the 40 XS almost like a body cap that doubles for quick snaps, but if I take the K-01 on an outing I am more likely to put on the 40 limited and take along the 21 and 70 DA limiteds and some accessory filters.
07-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
I have both lenses. You can check the excellent review posted on this forum comparing the image quality between these lenses. I don't see much difference in everyday use to justify an "upgrade" to the 40 limited. However, the filter size of the 40 limited is what makes the difference for me, as I can share filters (UV, CP, ND) with my other limiteds with the same 49 mm filter diameter. The 27 mm filter diameter of the 40 XS is an odd size and I'm not keen on acquiring another set of filters in this size if and when available. I find myself using the 40 XS almost like a body cap that doubles for quick snaps, but if I take the K-01 on an outing I am more likely to put on the 40 limited and take along the 21 and 70 DA limiteds and some accessory filters.
The review that just went up was not kind to the 40Ltd with some real issues with sharpness. The 40XS appeared to do better in a number of ways. Do you have the same issues with your pair, or do you think the reviewer got a bum copy of the 40Ltd?
07-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member
fotogaffer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 716
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The review that just went up was not kind to the 40Ltd with some real issues with sharpness. The 40XS appeared to do better in a number of ways. Do you have the same issues with your pair, or do you think the reviewer got a bum copy of the 40Ltd?
I noticed that too, and I can say I don't see the same thing at all. I find my 40 DA limited to be quite sharp and I really think he had a bad copy of the lens which was also a concern that he expressed in the review.

07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Although I no longer own it, the DA40 I had was very sharp wide open.
07-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Thanks fotogaffer and twitch. I know that twitch has nearly every limited and respect his work and agree with each of you that something seems amiss with that report. I just posted a criticism of the review in the 35 vs. 40Ltd vs. 40XS thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/191518-35mm-2-...ml#post2020975
07-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
I think we should be fair to deadwolfbones, the review is very much appreciated and seems to have been done very well, it's obviously not his fault he got a dud 40ltd though.
07-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think we should be fair to deadwolfbones, the review is very much appreciated and seems to have been done very well, it's obviously not his fault he got a dud 40ltd though.
Yes I agree with you. I certainly appreciate anyone taking the time to do a review of that magnitude. My concern is that it went to press with what appears to be a dud lens, instead of redoing it with another copy of the lens.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, kit, ltd, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA LTM pancakes 21mm, 40mm, 70mm hillhong Sold Items 7 04-14-2012 05:36 PM
K-01 with Da Pancakes? bqiu86 Pentax K-01 4 03-10-2012 11:23 AM
Your Favourite Non-Pentax Pancakes Clarkey Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 01-21-2011 02:11 PM
Politically correct pancakes! ftpaddict Post Your Photos! 9 06-16-2008 08:49 AM
How to carry DSLR and 3 pancakes? Ben Rubinstein Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 04-11-2007 10:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top