Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

40 ltd vs kit 40 pancakes

Anyone up grade the K-01 standard 40 pancake kit lens to the 40 ltd? Did you notice a worthwhile IQ change between the two lenses?

07-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both lenses. You can check the excellent review posted on this forum comparing the image quality between these lenses. I don't see much difference in everyday use to justify an "upgrade" to the 40 limited. However, the filter size of the 40 limited is what makes the difference for me, as I can share filters (UV, CP, ND) with my other limiteds with the same 49 mm filter diameter. The 27 mm filter diameter of the 40 XS is an odd size and I'm not keen on acquiring another set of filters in this size if and when available. I find myself using the 40 XS almost like a body cap that doubles for quick snaps, but if I take the K-01 on an outing I am more likely to put on the 40 limited and take along the 21 and 70 DA limiteds and some accessory filters.
07-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
I have both lenses. You can check the excellent review posted on this forum comparing the image quality between these lenses. I don't see much difference in everyday use to justify an "upgrade" to the 40 limited. However, the filter size of the 40 limited is what makes the difference for me, as I can share filters (UV, CP, ND) with my other limiteds with the same 49 mm filter diameter. The 27 mm filter diameter of the 40 XS is an odd size and I'm not keen on acquiring another set of filters in this size if and when available. I find myself using the 40 XS almost like a body cap that doubles for quick snaps, but if I take the K-01 on an outing I am more likely to put on the 40 limited and take along the 21 and 70 DA limiteds and some accessory filters.
The review that just went up was not kind to the 40Ltd with some real issues with sharpness. The 40XS appeared to do better in a number of ways. Do you have the same issues with your pair, or do you think the reviewer got a bum copy of the 40Ltd?
07-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The review that just went up was not kind to the 40Ltd with some real issues with sharpness. The 40XS appeared to do better in a number of ways. Do you have the same issues with your pair, or do you think the reviewer got a bum copy of the 40Ltd?
I noticed that too, and I can say I don't see the same thing at all. I find my 40 DA limited to be quite sharp and I really think he had a bad copy of the lens which was also a concern that he expressed in the review.

07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Although I no longer own it, the DA40 I had was very sharp wide open.
07-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks fotogaffer and twitch. I know that twitch has nearly every limited and respect his work and agree with each of you that something seems amiss with that report. I just posted a criticism of the review in the 35 vs. 40Ltd vs. 40XS thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/191518-35mm-2-...ml#post2020975
07-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think we should be fair to deadwolfbones, the review is very much appreciated and seems to have been done very well, it's obviously not his fault he got a dud 40ltd though.

07-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think we should be fair to deadwolfbones, the review is very much appreciated and seems to have been done very well, it's obviously not his fault he got a dud 40ltd though.
Yes I agree with you. I certainly appreciate anyone taking the time to do a review of that magnitude. My concern is that it went to press with what appears to be a dud lens, instead of redoing it with another copy of the lens.