07-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #31
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krugorg Quote
there is no viewfinder and no option for an accessory add-on
QuoteOriginally posted by krugorg Quote
I realize this has been discussed many, many times
And so has this version of a reply...

I've used the Pentax K-01 even on a career professional level. Been published with it, the work has appeared in galleries, and many examples throughout my studio walls. A good portion of the work I do is also outdoors. I've rarely run into a problem with it under most outdoor lighting conditions - the screen compensates quite well. Don't like the result the first time; then reshoot it - after all this camera was never made or marketed towards items like sports photography. IF the lighting does get bad enough; simply shield it out - using ones hand or anything to block out the light.

But more to the point... Yes the do make non dedicated options that do work with the Pentax K-01. There are several hotshoe viewfinders that do work (to some extent) with the K-01. Are they matched perfectly; not yet. There's even a forum member that has a Q (sorry don't recall the name) that has adopted theirs with a type of red dot finder. So something like that would also work - just as long as one is not shooting pics outdoors in places such as Washington DC. There are also many variations of hoods and shades; and darn even monitors. All of those are in fact made to work perfectly with the K-01.

Is it a perfect camera? No, but what is.

Also noting; the Leica mirrorless seems to be doing quite well also - even in professional and artistic enviroments. Not bad considering it's lens size and also the fact that it costs about 2k

07-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think "flagship" only means "expensive" and "mainstream brand." It has nothing to do with actual characteristics of the product.
Also, if Pentax made a camera that would cost as much as some of those do, it would definitely outperform them. Bang for buck Pentax is usually best.
07-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think "flagship" only means "expensive" and "mainstream brand." It has nothing to do with actual characteristics of the product.
Also, if Pentax made a camera that would cost as much as some of those do, it would definitely outperform them. Bang for buck Pentax is usually best.
Flagship has a pretty specific meaning, and it is the best product from a particular brand (that's important -- a flagship is the leader of the fleet, so it is not cross-brand). So the K-01 is not Pentax's flagship camera (which is the K-5), but is it most definitely their flagship mirrorless, unless you want to give that honor to the Q.
07-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still think the whole issue is being over-analyzed. No matter how great the camera is, the looks turn a lot of people off. Myself included.

07-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #35
Banned

Ducktape

I was asked last saturday if I ducktaped my camera! I was at a soccergame and it was one off the other photographers (one with D3s and one with 1D iv) who asked it. So we took a look at my yellow monster and they thought it was cute! Handy for some portraits.

Does cute come in the package for a Flagship?
07-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't own a K01, though I've been tempted--mostly by the fact that it is NOT an expensive "flagship." It is a compact, sub-$600 alternative to DSLR bodies, and it has some interesting features. If we get bent out of shape about someone's opinion on the word "flagship," we will spend a lot of time upset.
08-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was asked last saturday if I ducktaped my camera! I was at a soccergame and it was one off the other photographers (one with D3s and one with 1D iv) who asked it. So we took a look at my yellow monster and they thought it was cute! Handy for some portraits.

Does cute come in the package for a Flagship?
The yellow is the one I would buy myself. Partially for this very reason.

when they put out the 2 different robot cameras (Kx and KR) I was sorely tempted to order one from japan, I was shooting a fair number of interview shots for music mags at the time and knew it would be the perfect icebreaker. Don't do it anywhere near as often now but they are still tempting cameras

08-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The yellow is the one I would buy myself. Partially for this very reason.
I was at another presentation for the soccerteam (men's) of PSV Eindhoven, wich is in the race for the coming championship next seazon. No other yellow camera's there and I had K-5 Silver with FA*85mm and K-01 with FA31mm.

soccerplayers

Basicly, you don't need anything else as long as you have access to places to make pictures.

*somehow the width tags don't work, so made it a link.
08-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was at another presentation for the soccerteam (men's) of PSV Eindhoven, wich is in the race for the coming championship next seazon. No other yellow camera's there and I had K-5 Silver with FA*85mm and K-01 with FA31mm.

soccerplayers

Basicly, you don't need anything else as long as you have access to places to make pictures.

*somehow the width tags don't work, so made it a link.
you are right, getting the best shot is more about access than having the best in many cases.

Iggy pop posted a shot the other day commenting on what a great concert shot it was, and how there aren't as many as back in the 70's
first response from a tog was in the 70's i could take my camera everywhere , now i get 3 songs before you even get warmed up. and then we are relegated to the back with a no shots rule aside from point shoot (which we all know is pretty much useless from a distance in low light)
I had the same conversation with him last time he was in town at a friends place over tea (after the promoter had shut down virtually all media coverage over safety concerns it was a free show downtown. I didn't see any good shots from that show, (a few of us tried from the crowd but it was just too insane to get anything). Unfortunately for togs like me the access is determined by the promoter more than the act in many cases
next time he's back I hope for a stage pass which would be great