Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the next Pentax will have a swivel screen either. Pentax doesn't seem to have much enthusiasm for the swivels. Have they ever made anything except a couple of P&S cameras with swivel? I remember the model 33 and 750 and thats it.
thanks
barondla (would love a swivel screen Pentax)

07-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the Phoblographer had a point not including the k-01. It's only a flagship mirrorless by default - it just lacks the features of those more expensive flagship models.

It's a shame that Pentaxians feel they need to comb his articles for perceived sleights against the brand to rail against, it doesn't paint us in a very flattering light. It's also a shame that the Phoblographer gets himself embroiled in responding to such comments IMHO.
07-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You know how sometimes if somebody asks you out, and you don't find the person attractive, you may try to make all kinds of excuses since it's not nice to just say "I don't date ugly people." You'll hurt feelings and make yourself look like a shallow jerk. I think that this may be a similar situation. The K-01 is just not a sexy camera, and so it is not exciting people to try get to know it.

Of course, the K-01 has all kinds of great qualities, and we know that it's what on the inside that's important. But that's not how it always works in the real world. That's my theory, anyway.

It's Pentax's fault, really, for releasing a camera with styling that they should have known would be polarazing (to put it kindly). Long before the E-M5 was making waves, I saw people on this board saying that Pentax should make a modern version of one of their classic cameras. Too bad they didn't listen. But what do we know? We're just their customers.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-18-2012 at 06:51 PM.
07-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
You know how sometimes if somebody asks you out, and you don't find the person attractive, you may try to make all kinds of excuses since it's not nice to just say "I don't date ugly people." I think that this may be a similar situation. The K-01 is just not a sexy camera, and so it is not exciting people to try it out.

Of course, the K-01 has all kinds of great qualities, and we know that it's what on the inside that's important, but that's not how it always works in the real world. That's my theory, anyway.

It's Pentax's fault, really, for releasing a camera with styling that they should have know would be polarazing. Long before the E-M5 was released, I saw people on this board saying that Pentax should make a modern version of one of their retro cameras. Too bad they didn't listen.
I agree with what you've said but, the K-01 made headlines for Pentax and got them more exposure at a time when that was important following the acquisition. And, I think its important to note that we got a nice little lens out of the K-01 rollout. The real question for me is has the K-01 harmed Pentax in any way?

07-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I've been following the K-01 with interest, though I haven't bought one. The #1 turnoff is the 1FPS RAW shooting rate. We know that Pentax can do much better than that -- see the K30, for example. So I have to agree (reluctantly) that the K-01 is not a flagship product.

Thus it does seem to be a '1.0' product, as suggested earlier in this thread. This may be disappointing to hear, but it holds the promise that much more capable solutions are on their way.
07-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
Pentaxian

You know how sometimes if somebody asks you out, and you don't find the person attractive, you may try to make all kinds of excuses since it's not nice to just say "I don't date ugly people." You'll hurt feelings and make yourself look like a shallow jerk. I think that this may be a similar situation. The K-01 is just not a sexy camera, and so it is not exciting people to try get to know it.

Of course, the K-01 has all kinds of great qualities, and we know that it's what on the inside that's important. But that's not how it always works in the real world. That's my theory, anyway.

It's Pentax's fault, really, for releasing a camera with styling that they should have known would be polarazing (to put it kindly). Long before the E-M5 was making waves, I saw people on this board saying that Pentax should make a modern version of one of their classic cameras. Too bad they didn't listen. But what do we know? We're just their customers.

I chanced upon a trendy Lomo shop the other day and could not believe that the ugly/plastic Lomo cameras were sold at such high prices. (very pricey accessories too)
So I think whoever at Pentax thought of the K-01 design route, they had that market in mind.
I don't know how K-01 fared with the young/trendy/want to be different/lomo community though...

Last edited by pinholecam; 07-19-2012 at 12:06 AM.
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Some people dismiss Pentax as low end and don't know much about it...it is just ignorance!

07-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #23
Banned

Photos: Albums
Too bad they didn't listen. But what do we know? We're just their customers
Leica now has a fixed lens mirrorless on the market - at just under 2k.

But besides the lengendary Leica optics; most all of the technical specs aren't even anywhere near a Pentax K-01.

Add to that... The Leica also has no grip to speak of, and a few functionality issues. Yet it will still sell in volumes
07-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

.......It's Pentax's fault, really, for releasing a camera with styling that they should have known would be polarazing (to put it kindly). Long before the E-M5 was making waves, I saw people on this board saying that Pentax should make a modern version of one of their classic cameras. Too bad they didn't listen. But what do we know? We're just their customers.
[Man using stick on deceased equine] According to Ned we are NOT their customers, Adorama, Amazon, and B&H are their customers.
07-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Leica now has a fixed lens mirrorless on the market - at just under 2k....the technical specs aren't even anywhere near a Pentax K-01....Yet it will still sell in volumes
I bet they didn't have Marc Newson design the exterior.
07-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Leica now has a fixed lens mirrorless on the market - at just under 2k.

But besides the lengendary Leica optics; most all of the technical specs aren't even anywhere near a Pentax K-01.

Add to that... The Leica also has no grip to speak of, and a few functionality issues. Yet it will still sell in volumes
It actually is not well loved by the leica crowd, though I'm sure it sells I don't think anything actually made by Leica sells in volumes (the Panasonic made models being the exception)

In reality all leica products(except the S2) are mirrorless though, and the only FF mirrorless models are all Leica (several variants on a theme)

you could add up all the leica unit sales of items they make though and i doubt it would total kr sales volume in units, or for that matter K5
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Nice review of the K-01 over on a UK tech/IT website, The Register. Like the review or not, the bottom line of it is "Despite these few niggles, the Pentax K-01 is a superb shooter for the price. Any other camera combining this level of image quality and features will cost you hundreds of pounds more." But then having a K-01 myself, I already agree with that.
07-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Its not a flagship its the Mothership.
07-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Its not a flagship its the Mothership.
Does that mean crop circles and cattle mutilation come with it too?
07-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think styling is the reason that the K-01 is disrespected by reviewers/bloggers.

IMO, the K-01 is a strange proposition to anyone that does not already own Pentax lenses because: (1) there is no viewfinder and no option for an accessory add-on, (2) no tilt/twist screen and (3) it is nearly the same size as the K5. [sorry, I realize this has been discussed many, many times]

I like my weird little K-01, but no way to I think it has as broad appeal, or is as advanced, as the offerings Phoblographer compared. Yes, it has great IQ, but I have to admit it seems to be beta effort/experiment by Pentax and is a fairly unique fit for a select group of photographers. I still like mine, by the way!