Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 not a "Flagship Mirrorless"

...according to The Phoblographer: Long Term Comparison Review: Fujifilm X Pro 1 vs Sony NEX 7 vs Olympus OMD EM5

Because of all the great things I've heard from people who have used it, I was curious:

QuoteQuote:
Why was the Pentax K-01 not included in this comparison when it is an extremely viable mirrorless option capable of competing with these cameras?
-Heie

When casually questioning this, Mr. Gampat's reply was:

QuoteQuote:
Let's just say that it's not a flagship mirrorless camera. As we stated in the beginning of the story, this is for the flagships.
Take that with what you will.
*-Chris Gampat*
And so that made me think..."huh?"

QuoteQuote:
Last I checked, it's the best mirrorless offered from Pentax, therefore making it qualify as "flagship mirrorless."

In case you were confused (understandable), I was not referring to the Pentax Q, which is a very diminutive camera that uses a small P&S sensor. The Pentax K-01, on the other hand, uses an APS-C sensor, which is larger (therefore at face value better IQ based on pure physics alone) than an entire third (33%) of the cameras included in this test that are considered "Flagship."

Or is your definition of flagship being the best offering from a company? Then that's understandable because the K-01 (again not the Q) is not the flagship offering from the Pentax lineup as there is the K-5 and now K-30 that are also offering APS-C. But then that means the NEX is disqualified by your definition (assuming I got it correct this time) because Sony offers APS-C sensor-sized DSLR-type cameras.

Let me see if I can understand correctly and see where the Pentax K-01 is rendered not a "mirrorless flagship," because according to this review and your comment, it clearly does not qualify as such.

Best mirrorless offered by a company? Pentax K-01 qualifies

Most recent mirrorless ILC released by the company? NEX-7 DQ'ed

Best camera offered by the company up to the mirrorless's sensor size? NEX-7 DQ'ed

Best camera offered by the company period? NEX-7 DQ'ed

Only mirrorless ILC camera offered by the company? E-M5, NEX-7, X Pro-1 DQ'ed

Only mirrorless ILC camera offered by the company in that specific sensor size? Pentax K-01 qualifies; NEX-7, E-M5 DQ'ed

Mirrorless that doesn't require an adapter to use primary-mount lenses? Pentax K-01 qualifies

Best mirrorless ILC offered by a company? Pentax K-01 qualifies

Mirrorless released by the company in 2012? Pentax K-01 qualifies, NEX-7 DQ'ed

Mirrorless ILC with an APS-C sensor? E-M5 DQ'ed

So, Mr. Gampat...what is the definition of "flagship mirrorless?"

-Heie
-Heie

07-12-2012, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
...according to The Phoblographer: Long Term Comparison Review: Fujifilm X Pro 1 vs Sony NEX 7 vs Olympus OMD EM5

Because of all the great things I've heard from people who have used it, I was curious:

When casually questioning this, Mr. Gampat's reply was:

And so that made me think..."huh?"

-Heie
Twist the screws, from his behavior toward his readers he deserves it. Arrogance without competence is a terrible thing.
07-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think they are basing Flagship on feature set partially. the K-01 definitely is not a flagship like the Nex7, or the OMD or the Fuji, which are all aimed at enthusiasts. All also have built in EVF. I imagine a flagship is under development for the K-0 line up and we may see it at photokina. the K-01 is very competent and better in my eyes tah a lot of mid level MILC, certainly better than the entry level stuff. Lack of EVF (even as an option) is a big issue. I could see a FF designed around the LX that would have a small top LCD to use in conjunction with various finders though It fits the unique offering idea, and could be ultra cool. It would cost more than the others (accept maybe the Xpro) but would have a ton of advantages (particularly if the mount was uncrippled for metering, and the meter was based on the LX meter). I could live without an OVF if that was the design.
07-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He went on to reply again saying that "something else is coming" from Pentax didn't he?

07-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

So it would appear that he was not trying to slight the Pentax by saying it wasn't a flagship, but instead trying to tell you that there is another higher-end mirrorless coming from Pentax soon. What does he know?
07-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So it would appear that he was not trying to slight the Pentax by saying it wasn't a flagship, but instead trying to tell you that there is another higher-end mirrorless coming from Pentax soon. What does he know?
From his reviews and the comments to his readers - not much........ Seems a convenient dodge give that Photokina is coming soon and EVERYBODY is releasing something new.
07-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

his reviews are pretty useless for the most part from what i see. I can't believe he found the AF select on the K5 (and K7 therefore) a con. I find the layout better than the competition and it's dead simple.
it does show that ergonomic functionality is definitely tied to what you are used to though
07-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Tagged to see if he actually responds...
(not holding my breath)

07-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
his reviews are pretty useless for the most part from what i see. I can't believe he found the AF select on the K5 (and K7 therefore) a con. I find the layout better than the competition and it's dead simple.
it does show that ergonomic functionality is definitely tied to what you are used to though
Or are willing to actually investigate in the course of "reviewing" a new item.
07-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So either he locked the comments or just me from commenting - either way, he is proving the point over and over again. This is what I had to say one last time before going to bed lol:

QuoteQuote:
I didn't know that bringing legitimate inconsistencies and holes to light was considered being argumentative, especially with how I presented my questioning. Not once did I insult the man (being honest and critical is not the same as being insulting).

The fact that he didn't include a camera is not what bothers me at all. Honestly, it really doesn't. What bothers me is his continued vehement refusal to accept any sort of criticism, despite the fact that it has been presented by multiple people and all in a professional and calm manner. The selective attention to comments.

If I were in his shoes, I would welcome any and all criticism, not tell my audience - the people I write for and beg to support me monetarily - that they can't read correctly because they disagree with me. That's egregiously insulting, and I would not be surprised in the least if that has an affect on the Phoblographer's viewership and revenue.

Now if you wanted me to assume the mantle of this assumptive person you perceive me to be, then I would be left with no choice but to assume a gravely disheartening level of incompetence combined with narcissism and insecurity on the behalf of Mr. Gampat because of the quality of prose and imagery that are childishly protected from any sense of criticism that seem to be prolific throughout his reviews. But I am not that assumptive person, so allow me to remain a gravely disappointed audience member whom has been insulted via the questioning of his literacy by an author that refuses to answer questions and validate his own "exhaustive" research.

Very Respectfully,
Heie
If anyone wants to post that with "Heie_x" or something as the name and make up some bogus email, I won't think any less of you

Doc, you are 100% spot on - Arrogance without competence is a terrible thing

-Heie
07-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
So either he locked the comments or just me from commenting - either way, he is proving the point over and over again. This is what I had to say one last time before going to bed lol:

If anyone wants to post that with "Heie_x" or something as the name and make up some bogus email, I won't think any less of you

Doc, you are 100% spot on - Arrogance without competence is a terrible thing

-Heie
Unfortunately his response was inevitable, bullies always either run away or blame the victim when boldly and confidently confronted.
07-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Unfortunately his response was inevitable, bullies always either run away or blame the victim when boldly and confidently confronted.
Of course the worst part is we drove traffic to his crappy site and he made money, it's like referencing Ken Rockwell. But at least Rockwell admits he's a Tool sometimes, and says not to take him seriously, oh and please support my family by following this link and buying something LOL
07-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Of course the worst part is we drove traffic to his crappy site and he made money, it's like referencing Ken Rockwell. But at least Rockwell admits he's a Tool sometimes, and says not to take him seriously, oh and please support my family by following this link and buying something LOL

That's what's so pathetic about the whole thing. If the guy had a brain he'd realize that controversy sparks viewers but being monolithic in your refusal to positively engage with your readers when they disagree gets old fast and results in fewer hits over time.
07-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd actually rather it be not considered as a Pentax flagship MILC.

That's coming from someone who has handled the pre-production as well as production model on various occasions.
The K-01 is 'ver 1.0' product.
"Rough in the corners" at this point of time. (ie. design, feel, handling, AF, LCD vs the competition, to say the least)
Don't mistake this as being bad, all cameras have issues (eg. like the NEX lousy line of lenses and corner issues with WA lenses)
It just means that it has quite some room for improvement (IMO)

I'd rather ppl/sites start considering a improved/refined future Pentax MILC (eg. K02) as 'flagship MILC"
Then it can proceed to kick the other's butt.
07-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'd actually rather it be not considered as a Pentax flagship MILC.
Same here, I dont mind not having an EVF, I shoot 100% manual prime lenses in K and M42, K-01 = godsend for someone like me, but wtf leave out a swivel screen with no evf option? That should of been the real complaint about the camera, would of been a nex-5n crusher, the not having a swivel screen made it a joke... K-02 better have a swivel screen and like the best swivel that swivellers have ever seen since we were denied the first time around...