Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is a follow on model to the K-01 going to be released?

I ask because Adorama is offering them for $739 with the 40XS and a coupon code and now BigValueInc on ebay is offering the same setup for another $64 off at $675.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/192393-k-01s-sale-adorma-coupon-code.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/192835-k-01-40mm-675-99-ebay.html

07-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I think this price is to make the K-01 more attractive.
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think this price is to make the K-01 more attractive.
I agree. That is also with the 40XS. the problem is that BigValueInc appears to be a reseller of discontinued or surplus items. That is what prompted me to ask if there are any rumors, already, of a follow-on to the K-01.
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While there are fans of the Q and K-01, they are hardly big sellers. Both the Q and K-01 are taking big hits on their price over the last few weeks. Pentax/Retailers are either blowing the inventory out to make way for some updates, or they are going away.

Personally, I think they are going away as hold-overs that don't fit into what Pentax/Ricoh want to move forward with.

Again, with only so much manufacturing capacity, Pentax needs to focus on the money makers. We need more lenses and more accessories (Flashes/Remotes/do-dads)

Possibly, I can see Pentax giving us a hybrid Q/K-01/GXR that would satisfy the MILC crowd and remedy the many criticisms of the Q and K-01.

07-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The other thought is that the Q/K-01/GXR did not attract droves of people to those cameras. I think the market for those cameras is tapped. There is a greater demand for FF or higher spec DSLRs. The idea/concept of the Q/K-01/GXR had their day and they were not game changers.

Collectively those three cameras are at best "niche", and drain too much resources.

I would roll all of those teams together, and tell them to make something together. Then I would re-tool one of those production lines and make the Pentax FF.
07-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hope so with a swivel screen and I wouldnt doubt it. When I took a random vacation to santa cruz two weekends ago I saw two K-01's in the wild, a yellow and a white one both on hipster chicks. So my guess is it's selling as I live in the bay area and I see dudes taking pictures of there kids at the wharf with phase one's and Leica SLRs even rarer cameras than pentax and never see anyone with pentax gear, it was actually refreshing to see even if it was on two chicks who I saw never even take the lens caps off haha... But I also have had a lot of people come up to me asking me what camera I have as they have never even heard of it, but this is mainly from people who buy from the over priced camera stores in the city.
07-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if more FF dslrs sell in a year than the Q, GXR, and K-01? The Q has been very popular in Asia. There are over 6 pgs of Q lens adapters on eekbay. Someone is buying them.
thanks
barondla

10-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Mr_Canuck

I'd like to see a Pentax the size of a Sony NEX 6 or 7 (I know it'd have to be thicker, but c'mon the K-01 is a chunker), and with an OLED display (everybody's got them now). Can you imagine that with all the wee limiteds? Bonkers. I'd toss my K5 in a minute. I'd switch to Sony NEX, but the Pentax lenses keep me here.
10-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've had the the K-01 for about a week (almost two) and every single female that has seen it has wanted the camera. If I were still single, I'd probably be getting so many dates because of the camera. It's better than a dog.

It almost seems like Pentax's goal with the K-01 should be to try to make a smaller version of the camera and market it as a more fashionable camera (how do I say this without being sexist?) aimed at women. I know a lot of people hate the design, but I've always liked it. It really seems like other people really like it too, they just don't know it exists. I think the 600 dollar price range is also what it needs to be at. The camera might be worth more than that, but the numbers Pentax needs to keep it alive won't pay more than that. I was able to justify buying it because of the rebate last month. Anything higher and it will be too much. It's a great camera but it's auto focus is decent at best (even with the new firmware upgrade). The camera might be great for manual focus but most people don't want to deal with manual focus.
10-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It would indeed be awesome if Pentax does come-out with a new mirrorless k-mount, with an EVF, slicker design more like the k30, fashionable colors(Like hello-kitty pink), but seriously, if they do come-up with something good looking with k01's performance, I'm pretty sure it would be a hit.
02-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #11

Hey, with the FF K-1 arriving (April 2016), maybe we can look at a FF K-02!!!
02-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Nice move by Sigma with their two new SD Quattro mirrorless ILCs: Sigma announces SD Quattro and SD Quattro H Foveon mirrorless cameras: Digital Photography Review

Same path that the K-01 paved and got heckled on. Now just put the K-1 FF sensor into it and add an EVF - PRESTO!
02-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Nice move by Sigma with their two new SD Quattro mirrorless ILCs: Sigma announces SD Quattro and SD Quattro H Foveon mirrorless cameras: Digital Photography Review

Same path that the K-01 paved and got heckled on. Now just put the K-1 FF sensor into it and add an EVF - PRESTO!
I would love to see Ricoh/Pentax get Sigma to allow them to have a K-mount version of those new SD Quattro mirrorless cameras. This is a perfect fit. A Foveon Mirrorless APS-H K-mount camera. Just the edge they need. Would save on having to develop their own mirrorless.

Isn't the Sigma SA mount not that far off from the K-mount?
02-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Isn't the Sigma SA mount not that far off from the K-mount?
Physically they are practically identical. Electronically, they are very different.
02-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could the Q mount support a 1" sensor and use the existing lenses in crop like DA lenses on FF?

Q-1 ?