Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Memory Card Error

Have the K-01 and am currently using Lexar Professional 32 GB UHS 1 speed cards. I get random 'Memory Card Error' warnings. It stops the camera operating. Sometimes it is after taking a shot, sometimes when trying to view a stored shot. Turning the camera off then back on removes the error. It doesn't do it much, just enough to be annoying. I have two of the cards and it does the same on both. I haven't found any data corruption yet. Anyone experiencing this problem? I haven't tried non UHS cards yet and will and report back. I haven't reported this to Pentax as yet.

07-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you format them in camera or on the PC? I've had problems like you describe in the K-x when I format or change the data on the computer without reformatting the card in the camera.
07-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Memory cards are cheap and I hate to loose my shots. At your place, I would throw away the card and get a new one. Or better two new 8 Gb or 16 Gb high quality cards.

I lot some photographs before because of a corrupted card. With the low prices of the cards, there is no excuse to take some risk IMO.

That's my take.
07-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Always format in camera, never on the computer. It's just that two cards have the same random error. I will try a non-UHS card as I have plenty of cards. This should confirm if it is a card type problem, not quite compatible with UHS, which it should be, problem with camera, which I hope it is not, or real unlucky and have two high end professional cards that are faulty.

07-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That non-UHS card didn't work too well. The lock switch on the card is loose and locks the card when inserted, damn. Next option!!!
07-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Using the class 10 non-UHS in the K-01, no problems. Using the UHS in the K5 which means that it defaults back to class 10, no problems. I think that it might be a slight incompatibility issue with the UHS-1 cards in the K-01. Will wait for the K30 and see if there is a problem there.
07-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also had some card issues with my UHS-I SanDisk cards. I had it with jpg (as far as I remember not with raw) writing and with movieclip editing where a new file couldn't be stored (not during filming).

I didn't pay enough attention to it, but I think it was with my 32GB 95MB/s card and not with the older 45MB/s card. Switched them and waiting for another failure to see if I remembered it right.
01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #8

I have encountered the same problem, but with two different cards. One is a Sandisk Extreme 16GB UHS-1 and the other is an Eye-Fi Pro X2. Must try with an older sandisk card, but find it strange that two different cards to malfunction. They have never caused problems in any of my other cameras. I always format the card in the camera.

01-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Haven't tried to go back the the UHS card in the K-01 since the firmware update so perhaps I should. Although I don't see any speed issues that make it matter that much.
01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #10

I have the same issue using a Sony UHS-I 32 GB card, which never happens in my 16GB Sandisk Class 4 card. The chance is small and also can be resolved by power on and off the camera, so I just let it go. BTW it seems K-01 is the only Pentax camera supporting UHS card per the Pentax website.
01-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #11

Now, I have used an older Sandisk card (8gb extrem III)for a while, without UHS and I have not had any errors so far. keep My fingers crossed.
01-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've started using the UHS in the K-01 again and so far seems to be okay. The firmware upgrade might have solved the problem.
01-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
Forum Member

I have the same problem with 2 Lexar cards. I've noticed that it happens a lot more with old lenses than with the new ones that came with the camera. This is probably bad, but I've found that if it persists, removing and reinserting the card with the camera still on works.
01-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by millsware Quote
I have the same problem with 2 Lexar cards. I've noticed that it happens a lot more with old lenses than with the new ones that came with the camera. This is probably bad, but I've found that if it persists, removing and reinserting the card with the camera still on works.
Interesting fix. I am having trouble with memory cards in a POV.HD video so there seems to be a trend. Just wish POV would answer emails.
01-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Forum Member

I'm actually in the market for a new card or two for an upcoming trip, what is 'officially' supported with the latest firmware anyway, I've really lost track? The original manual has sd, sdhc, and sdxc cards without any size limits specified.