Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 11:24 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Skeptic won over by the K-01

I tried to not like the K-01. Bought it with a 30-day return policy. Shot for 3 weeks and tried to justify returning it, mostly because it’s not small enough or light enough to replace my daily carry (Canon Powershot G10). And if I need a good camera for work or a family outing, I’ll take my K-5. I don’t like not having a viewfinder in sunlight. The doors are flimsy. You've heard this all before. But after shooting for a few weeks, I just have to keep it. Reasons:

Wife loves it. It's easy to shoot. We handed it to our 6 year old niece and she shot with it, no problem. Wife loves being able to hold the camera out in front of her, aimed at the two of us for self portraits, and you just can’t do that for very long with the K-5, unless you have wrists like Popeye. Of course you can do it with a smaller camera like the G10, but . . .

The difference in image quality compared to the G10 is incredible! I’m a fast learning amateur and have pulled some images from K-01 (and K-5 obviously) that are incredible, professional. Many of them taken by my wife who doesn’t know Av from Tv. It’s now a little disapointing pulling images from my G10, and I’m more inclined to figure out ways to take the slightly bulkier, slightly heavier K-01 wherever I go.

It’s non-intimidating. It seems like everyone is a little more relaxed around a non-dslr. Especially with the pancake lens, this camera looks like a point-and-shoot from the 80s, nobody has any idea the kind of shots you’re getting. When you send them some prints, they’re amazed.

Reviewing photos is fast, finally! Canon DSLRs, for years, have had the best playback features for reviewing photos on camera. The dial on the back of a Canon lets you spin through photos super fast, with animation, and the same feature is available on their mirrorless cameras, which is huge. The K-5 playback seems archaic in comparison. The K-01 got a mutch needed boost in speed, it still doesn’t have Canon’s dial, but it’s super fast now with controls that are about as good.

It ilicits comments and praise from clients and casual observers. Doesn’t affect results, but makes it hard to give up. It's classy not flashy. Exudes quality with style, and a little bit of sophistication. So if you're not a professional photographer but need to take photos for your profession (pics of producs, images of clients, or shots of services you provide) this is a great camera.

If you simply can’t take that DSLR with you every day and image quality is important to you, meaning you’re not just taking pics for Facebook or the web, then this is an amazing camera. If you already have a couple good Pentax lenses, then really what are you waiting for?

Note: I know it's not really fair to compare the K-01 to a Canon G10, but it's what I have, and it's kinda representative of other mirrorless cameras: lighter, smaller, has a viewfinder, great build quality...

07-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great insights. I tend to agree very much with you. My wife has a K-01 that I use as a secondary camera. (I have a K-7.) I am blown away by the IQ of the K-01. An amazing camera IMHO.

Thank yiou for sharing.
07-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've handled it a few days ago. I think I could live with it quite easily. And the controls aren't that bad, the 'inaccesible' red button is quite easily pushed with your right thumb.
07-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well said. I also thought it would be one of those cameras you give to a newbie family member because it isn't good enough for us photographers. But it performs well and is fun to shoot!
Sure, its no D800 or 5D, but who would expect that

07-19-2012, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's great to see I'm not the only one pleasantly surprised at what a great camera it is to actually *use*. The opinions of anyone who hasn't are irrelevant.
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

Spot on, Buceemie! It’s a camera for the open-minded photographer who values superb image quality and is not afraid of using a camera that isn’t a clone of all the others. I agree - the K-01 has a touch of class about it.
07-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Spot on. Quirky yet appealing at the same time.

07-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you!!
07-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree. There is something about this camera that grows on you. I must admit, I think the photos of it that everyone sees with the 40 mm XS affect opinions negatively. Switch out the lens and see what your K5 looks like with the 40 XS on it! The K-01 (especially in black) looks far more "traditional" with any of the limiteds on it, especially those with a little more bulk. Maybe that is why those of us who actually use it are more accepting of it than those who tend to judge it by initial appearances from the promo photos.
07-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would like to have one with a full set of Samyangs.
07-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buceemie, agree with most of your post. Part I disagree with is picture review. The Canon might be fast just flipping thru thumbnails. I like to blow the pics up and "pixel peep". Pentax cameras are always faster doing this. Roll the thumb wheel ( which I much prefer over that Canon dial) to zoom and hit OK to return to normal.
Like the K-01!
thanks
barondla
07-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Canon might be fast just flipping thru thumbnails. I like to blow the pics up and "pixel peep". Pentax cameras are always faster doing this. Roll the thumb wheel ( which I much prefer over that Canon dial) to zoom and hit OK to return to normal.
Like the K-01!
thanks
barondla
Agreed. The pentax OK button saves a ton of time reviewing photos.