Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

How can I get "check depth of field (preview)" work?

Following the instructions in the page 99 in the k-01 manual , I configured the green button as "preview" and press the button after autofocus, but nothing is happening.

I am a newbie to k-01, and the lens is DA 18-55. How can I get this function work?

07-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My first thought is, have you entered an aperture setting that allows you to see a real difference, or looked through the front of the lens with a strong enough light to see that the aperture has closed?

On a slow lens like that, you probably would have to stop down to at least f/11 to see the effect. When you press the green button, you should hear a kind of chortle as a function of stopping down.

As a rule, I assign my more-used functions (typically depth of field - as that is a prime function in my work flow) to the Red button. The Green button - as so many have commented - is, ah, less than convenient unless you happen to be ET.

Button assignment is explained on page 147. You also might want to change Custom Setting 16 to "Enable" now (see page 235) as you will run into the problem of not being able to stop down a mechanical aperture ring until that function is enabled. I have no idea what benefit there possibly could be for disabling the function (and it is disabled as the default).

Good luck and enjoy your fine (if not quite perfect) new body!
07-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
On a slow lens like that, you probably would have to stop down to at least f/11 to see the effect
About that aperature yes.

Also try to practice with it a bit. Get the camera on a tripod and try taking a pic of something such as a split rail fence or even a line of trees. Get the camera/lens combination to near it closest focus; and lock it on the closest object. Then practice with the depth of field preview