Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

IR remote wont work on K-01

Bought a Pentax waterproof IR remote. It wont fire the cam. The instructions are pretty poor. Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks

07-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Well, the first thing to try - if you have another Pentax body - is to find out if it will fire that body.
I'd imagine that you did set the remote control button on back of the body (far right) so that the sensor blinks in front, and then aim the RC at the blinker.
Of course, making sure that the remote's battery is OK and inserted properly is another item on the check list.

My generic RC works just fine - as long as I remember to set the camera function to receive it!
07-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My remote control had a sheet of plastic meant to interrupt the circuit and avoid draining the battery before use. Make sure you don't have one too.
07-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope, didn't know there was a switch on the body. will look for it.

The $$ Pentax can't have the battery changed. Disposable unit...but not Disposable $$

07-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Slackercruster, I am assuming you have everything set up correctly on the camera, and I am thinking you are probably out of range of the remote. The effective range of the remote is only 4 metres as documented on page 105 of the K-01 manual. I didn't pay much attention to this either when I first got my WR remote and only learned from trial and error with my K5 that there is an effective range of the remote. I just tested my WR remote with the K-01 and it works fine, but doesn't if you are outside the 4 metre range. Test it out and let us know.
07-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, put it right up to the front sensor...nothing. Still have to look for a switch on the bod. It is not here. Will check it out later.
07-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Drive mode set to remote control, right?
07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The "switch" is the drive mode button on the right side of the OK button on the back bottom right of the camera. When you hit the drive button it gives options of single frame, continuous shooting, self-timer, and then an icon between the self-timer and exposure compensation bracketing. That is the remote setting that then allows you to fire remotely - immediately, or on a 3 second delay. You will know if you have this set up correctly, because when you are set for remote release the red IR light on the bottom right front of the camera is flashing continuously waiting for a signal from the remote, and it keeps flashing until you disengage the remote setting. Of course you have to be in front of the camera at a reasonable angle for it to fire and within the 4 metres. Try it out, if still not successful you need to try on another camera as already suggested. If it still doesn't work, and assuming all the cameras are set up properly, maybe you have a dud!!

Last edited by fotogaffer; 07-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.
07-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a dead battery. You can pull that unit apart but its a pain and it will no longer be WR. I go for the $8 Chinese copies myself because they take a standard CR2025 battery as a replacement and cost very little.
LLC RM-E7 Remote Control reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope, not in drive mode. Just turned on cam and thought it should fire. Still need to get home to check it out. Hopefully enuf solutions here to fix. Will report back later when I get hands on it.
07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sounds like a dead battery. You can pull that unit apart but its a pain and it will no longer be WR. I go for the $8 Chinese copies myself because they take a standard CR2025 battery as a replacement and cost very little.
LLC RM-E7 Remote Control reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Thanks for the link on these remotes.
07-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Thanks for the link on these remotes.
No problem, I own 3 last count so I have one in each bag. They even activate the focus with the 2nd button on my K-5. I was at my sisters over the weekend and her remote was dead for her Nikon. Just popped the CR2025 out of one of these and put it into her remote and she was good to go. Someone had told her that there was a special Nikon battery for it I love my sister but she runs with a Nikon-Canon crowd in her camera club
07-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I did what you said. I set the camera to the remote IR setting and it worked. That was the problem.

Can the camera be left on this setting all the time or should I set it back to single frame when I'm done with remote?

Thanks for ALL the help!!
07-24-2012, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I would definitely set it back to single frame when done using the remote feature. Although the camera will still take photos the "regular way" even if the remote feature is on, I don't see any reason to have the red light flashing all the time attracting unnecessary attention and I'm not sure it would be great on the battery life either.
Glad you figured it out and now can fire remotely!!
07-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Ok, I did what you said. I set the camera to the remote IR setting and it worked. That was the problem.

Can the camera be left on this setting all the time or should I set it back to single frame when I'm done with remote?

Thanks for ALL the help!!
I believe that with the remote ON in the menus the Shake Reduction is set to OFF. So, when you are not using the remote it is wise to turn off the remote setting so your Shake reduction is working.

Yup, just checked and with Remote set to ON the hand on the menu screen is grey with a Red line through it. Definitely off when set to remote.