Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #76
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blacknosugar Quote
I thought we were talking looks and the K-01 was never exactly going to win any design awards, now was it?
As is happens . . .

PENTAX K-01 lens-interchangeable digital camera wins Gold Prize at German Design Award 2013

11-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-01 still looks good and performs well. The rubber flap still works just fine too
11-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #78
D0n
Banned

was the voting the same day as octoberfest?

kidding.. I like the k-01, always have...
just wish Pentax had added raw or uncompressed live hdmi out, a battery grip, more video codecs include the original mpeg from the k-5 and well you get the idea.. just more video chops.
11-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I've got to say, I don't have an issue with the K01's looks.
To me it doesn't look bad, it doesn't look great, it just seems to lack character (it's a bit boring to look at)

The EOS-M to me looks quite a bit "my first camera" I think because of the rounded edges.

The only real cameras that stand out aesthetically to me are the Fuji X100, Leicas, and the Pentax Q (I really like the old fashioned look)
To me, the EOS-M looks a bit like a fat compact camera with those round edges. I sorta like the new Nikon V2. I enjoy the Q's look, love the Fuji X100, and the Oly OM-D.

I thought the K-01 looked terrible, but I also thought it was a pretty cool camera (especially with a FA 31 LTD mounted). Then I saw it in person and thought - hey, it's not THAT bad looking, but kinda big. Wish it had a bit more grip (by making the left of the body a bit thinner), but I much prefer it when compared to the NEX's. The NEX's just look super weird to me when having lens mounted.

11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Aren't they the same people that gave an award to a chair no human could possibly sit in? Design aficionados often only look at form and ignore function.
11-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
As is happens . . . PENTAX K-01 lens-interchangeable digital camera wins Gold Prize at German Design Award 2013
Excellent achievement, I didn't know that. Thanks.
11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #82
Veteran Member

There is no design award that would keep me from thinking "Fisher-Price" every time I see the K-01. I know it's a fine camera, but I just loathe the way it looks.

It must feel better than it looks, because I can't imagine anyone buying a camera that feels as toy-like as this thing looks. Maybe that's my problem. Maybe if I held one I'd change my tune.

At any rate, this huge price drop is a clear indicator that Pentax would like to flush the K-01 out of their system and move on to the replacement, even if that replacement isn't ready yet.

11-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
There is no design award that would keep me from thinking "Fisher-Price" every time I see the K-01. I know it's a fine camera, but I just loathe the way it looks.

It must feel better than it looks, because I can't imagine anyone buying a camera that feels as toy-like as this thing looks. Maybe that's my problem. Maybe if I held one I'd change my tune.

At any rate, this huge price drop is a clear indicator that Pentax would like to flush the K-01 out of their system and move on to the replacement, even if that replacement isn't ready yet.
It felt like what it looks like to me, a brick. The covers for the SD card and such are a joke IMHO. But, there are plenty here who love the darn thing and take terrific photos with it, which is what really matters in the end.
11-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see 'toy' at all when I look at my K-01, but I have a black one, not a Bumblebee. It doesn't feel plasticy or toy-like - more like the solid little brick it is. Sure, it looks like the bastard child of an 80s SLR and a dSLR, but there have been much, much uglier cameras over the years. I do think it looks better with a small lens like a M 28, rather than the too-flat 40 XS or some beercan zoom.

If I were Pentax (and clearly I'm NOT), I would hold off on a successor until they can use a sensor with built-in Phase-Detect focusing. All of the mirrorless cameras have the same problem - slow/innaccurate focusing. Firmware 1.01 helped a lot, but it's still Constrast Detect / LiveView focusing.
11-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #85
Site Supporter

It does have a metal body and that takes it out of "Fisher-Price" territory.
11-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It does have a metal body and that takes it out of "Fisher-Price" territory.
Yep. Nice and hefty. Very good bulk in the hands actually.
11-08-2012, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

IMHO the K-01 looks like it means business. Also, very industrial, German retro-futuristic. The other MLs posted look like someone shoved a big lens on an i-phone or point and shoot...they look silly and fragile.