Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Those CV pancakes look really great on your K-01. I seriously considered getting the yellow but the white one really grabbed me in the pics and in the videos. I may still end up regretting it but I guess I'll reserve judgement till I have the camera in my hands. God, so many options when it comes to lenses for this body! It truly boggles my mind, but I guess that's one of the best selling points of this camera.

11-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #62
Forum Member

Canon looks very nice - ergonomic, sleek, modern, compact.
Nikon comes second.
Pentax is vomit inducing - looks like a mock up of a camera that a design student threw together at the last minute after skipping class all term.
11-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blacknosugar Quote
Canon looks very nice - ergonomic, sleek, modern, compact.
Nikon comes second.
Pentax is vomit inducing - looks like a mock up of a camera that a design student threw together at the last minute after skipping class all term.
Is the Canon or Nikon aps-c? Can they take EF or F lenses?

Last edited by Blue; 11-02-2012 at 09:02 PM.
11-02-2012, 09:41 PM - 3 Likes   #64
Forum Member

Anyone who thinks the K-01 is vomit inducing probably thinks his rusty Chevette is a sexy car.
Get real. For those of us who actually have seen the K-01 in person, it's great looking and extremely well built.
Pentax deserves a lot of credit, IMO.

11-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Is the Canon or Nikon aps-c? Can they take EF or F lenses?
I don't know. Probably not?
Does having the K mount make the Pentax prettier? I thought we were talking looks and the K-01 was never exactly going to win any design awards, now was it?

I was actually considering it briefly as an possible alternative to the K-30, but it's still ugly. Luckily I'm not choosing either based on looks.
11-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #66
Forum Member

The idea of the K-01 having a K-mount is a great idea, particularly given the large number of small Pentax prime lenses.
It's not a perfect execution in some ways, but it's certainly not bad looking in person. Actually, the pics do not do it justice....you have to see it in person. And of course, every one has different tastes. You want an ugly, hard to hold camera...look at the Sony NEX line. What a mess.
11-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #67
Site Supporter

I don't know. Probably not?
Does having the K mount make the Pentax prettier? I thought we were talking looks and the K-01 was never exactly going to win any design awards, now was it?

I was actually considering it briefly as an possible alternative to the K-30, but it's still ugly. Luckily I'm not choosing either based on looks.
Looks don't drive function and possible performance. Considering the K-30 or K-01 is considering K-mount bodies which is part of the point I was making. The Canon and Nikon examples should be compared to the Q.

11-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #68
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Looks don't drive function and possible performance. Considering the K-30 or K-01 is considering K-mount bodies which is part of the point I was making. The Canon and Nikon examples should be compared to the Q.
Agreed & fair point re the Q.

BTW, vomit inducing is perhaps a bit strong but I still think it looks like a first year design school mock-up model of a real camera.
11-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
Anyone who thinks the K-01 is vomit inducing probably thinks his rusty Chevette is a sexy car.
Get real. For those of us who actually have seen the K-01 in person, it's great looking and extremely well built.
I'm glad you like your camera.

When I got mine I thought it looked bad. Everyone's got an opinion, of course.

I also thought the rubber flaps were not well built.
11-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Luckily I'm not choosing either based on looks.
So what you are saying is looks don't matter that much to your purchase decision.

BTW, vomit inducing is perhaps a bit
childish?

In any case I'll take your critique of the K-01 much more seriously after you show me your designs.
11-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #71

C'mon, this discussion of the K-01's looks is so last April. By now everyone has decided they either like it or they don't. Dead horse, man.
11-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
C'mon, this discussion of the K-01's looks is so last April. By now everyone has decided they either like it or they don't. Dead horse, man.
I suppose if you've been following the camera since it came out but some of us are just now taking a hard look at it especially since the huge price drop. Plus I thought that was kind of the whole point of this particular thread. Not as if the topic of another thread is being hijacked to accommodate this subject...
11-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
Personal opinion on aesthetics. I handled K-01s on several occassions - I think they are ugly, ungainly, and the covers for the ports are a joke. Glad you like yours, but please don't tell the rest of us what to like or slam our taste because it differs from yours.
11-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I've got to say, I don't have an issue with the K01's looks.
To me it doesn't look bad, it doesn't look great, it just seems to lack character (it's a bit boring to look at)

The EOS-M to me looks quite a bit "my first camera" I think because of the rounded edges.

The only real cameras that stand out aesthetically to me are the Fuji X100, Leicas, and the Pentax Q (I really like the old fashioned look)
11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #75
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
The only real cameras that stand out aesthetically to me are the Fuji X100, Leicas, and the Pentax Q
Leica has a mirrorless as well; yet for some unknown reason it frequently seems to get a rating of about 4.8 out of 5.0 There's also the ever eluding Leica M Monochrom which really needs the three hundred dollar optional grip.