Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Video mode SR impact

Perhaps others have noted this, but I haven't picked up on it in the threads I have read.

Most, if not all of the jello effect problem (rolling shutter), can be attributed to how the SR compensates. In testing with SR on and off, the difference is night and day.

Depending on how well your post-production stabilization program works, it might be best to shut off SR and make adjustments in post.

It would be nice, in movie mode, if you could lower the SR effect - find a just right compromise.

Luckily, most of the lenses I use for video, such as the A-35-105 and an m50/f1.4, allow me to dial in a lower value than full SR compensation. I plan to play with the setting, starting at half value (such as 24 for the 50mm).

07-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know it is a bit out of the concept, but I would like to see a discounted package of this body and, say, a DA 18-135, with its fast, quiet DC focus as a video setup. This body has so many video advantages, and that might put me over the edge for getting both those items.
07-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From my limited experience so far with video, faster lenses seem to provide a sharper overall look. When using a bracket with a relatively heavy microphone, the set up can get heavy and front loaded with a larger lens.

I am sure that SDM would be a huge advantage if you are depending on AF. Keep it mind that there is no continuous focus option when in operating video mode. You have to hit the AF button to refocus (and then generally in the center of the screen where you started - there is nothing like predictive focus available). My inclination is to work on my MF skills, but then again I have no SDM lenses for Pentax.
07-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
From my limited experience so far with video, faster lenses seem to provide a sharper overall look. When using a bracket with a relatively heavy microphone, the set up can get heavy and front loaded with a larger lens.

I am sure that SDM would be a huge advantage if you are depending on AF. Keep it mind that there is no continuous focus option when in operating video mode. You have to hit the AF button to refocus (and then generally in the center of the screen where you started - there is nothing like predictive focus available). My inclination is to work on my MF skills, but then again I have no SDM lenses for Pentax.
Ahh. I didn't know that there was no continuous focus. That makes the whole feature a bit less inviting.

01-07-2013, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #5

the new "Movie SR" that pentax has put in the K-01 and also the K-30 is terrible compared to the SR from previous cameras. The new SR uses digital compensation, which induces blur and jello effect, while the original shake reduction moved the sensor and did a much better job at stabilizing video.

The K-01 still uses the sensor moving SR in picture mode, but switches to digital SR in movie mode. The reason they put this compromised digital SR is to avoid the noise that the mechanical SR used to cause in movies, but since the K-01 has a mic input jack, they should have a option in the menu to use standard SR like you can when in the pictures modes.

I really hope in a firmware update, Pentax will put a option for digital or mechanical Shake reduction during movie. Because of the induced blur from Movie SR, I dont even like using SR anymore in movies.

If anyone wants to see the difference themselves, simply go to the custom settings #15, and turn on SR during live view. Go to picture mode and move the camera around, then go to movie mode and notice how much worse digital SR is. (its worst at 24, 25 or 30fps, at higher frame rates the blur is masked, but still more shakier than mechanical SR)