Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-01 vs Sony RX100 as backup camera?

Hello, all. I have just purchased a mint used K-5 to replace a K-7. Now I am wondering what to use as a backup camera. I could keep the K-7, but I am interested in reducing weight in my travel kit. So this brings me to the K-01, which is smaller than the K-7 but is not exactly tiny. Still, it can use all of my K-mount lenses. Also in the running is the new Sony RX100, which is very small and lightweight and has a bright LCD panel. However, it also has a smaller sensor, and despite all the praise it is receiving, it is hard for me to believe that the IQ will be as good as the K-01's. The early reviews of the RX100 are very positive, but I find that early reviews are often overly enthusiastic. New users feel a strong need to justify their purchases, and professional reviewers are not always completely objective either.

So, I am calling out to the K-01 user community for thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rob

08-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If this is for work K 01 if not doesn't really matter.
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Fundamental question: "backup" for what? Probably makes a big difference if you need a backup for your professional work, or if you need a backup as an enthusiast or for backup on a vacation trip.

I'm interested in the RX100 also, but of the comparison photos i've seen, the RX100 clearly can't compete with the pixel peeping detail from an APS sensor of the K01 or similar, which is much larger than the 1" sensor of the RX100. But any camera with an APS sensor with a lens, will not be as compact as the RX100.

I fully agree with your comment that surrounds new cameras, the buying frenzy seems to be in full swing on the Rx100. I'm tempted myself as I get a bit tired of lugging around my aps K5 camera and lenses, for casual shooting when an RX100 or similar would do just fine.
08-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree, backup for what? If for work, weddings whatever then K-01 hands down. But for personal use, vacations I would be tempted to get something much smaller and pocketable. Maybe the Sony, maybe a Pentax WG-1 or WG-2.

08-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Fundamental question: "backup" for what? Probably makes a big difference if you need a backup for your professional work, or if you need a backup as an enthusiast or for backup on a vacation trip.

I'm interested in the RX100 also, but of the comparison photos i've seen, the RX100 clearly can't compete with the pixel peeping detail from an APS sensor of the K01 or similar, which is much larger than the 1" sensor of the RX100. But any camera with an APS sensor with a lens, will not be as compact as the RX100.

I fully agree with your comment that surrounds new cameras, the buying frenzy seems to be in full swing on the Rx100. I'm tempted myself as I get a bit tired of lugging around my aps K5 camera and lenses, for casual shooting when an RX100 or similar would do just fine.
The backup camera would be used strictly for personal work--but serious personal work, if you know what I mean. Up until now, I have never carried a second camera, and fortunately, I have not needed one, but it might be nice to have one just in case. Stuff happens.

Right now, my guess is that when people start looking carefully at the files from the RX100, they will be found to be inferior to a good APS-C camera, although superior to any of the current generation of pocketable cameras. You get a lot in a very small package, but there are limits.

Rob
08-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
The backup camera would be used strictly for personal work--but serious personal work, if you know what I mean. Up until now, I have never carried a second camera, and fortunately, I have not needed one, but it might be nice to have one just in case. Stuff happens.

Right now, my guess is that when people start looking carefully at the files from the RX100, they will be found to be inferior to a good APS-C camera, although superior to any of the current generation of pocketable cameras. You get a lot in a very small package, but there are limits.

Rob
Confusing. For serious good IQ there are no small sensor camera's.
08-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

RX100 is a cool little camera thats for sure. But I could not see it being used for serious work. Pros used pocket cams back in the day because you could load them with your favorite film and not sacrifice quality, either way you look at it with the RX100 you will loose quality. But, my pentax Q doesnt push out the quality of my K-01 and I use it day to day and love it, the RX100 has the Q's appeal with a fixed lens. But small sensor cameras are only good for small prints and sharing on the internet and the Q has a one up on the RX100 due to all its great filters, havent touched a Q file in LR in months. There really are no pro pocket cameras anymore, not until they can fit in your pocket and dish out the SAME quality as your bigger camera. 35mm days are over and bigger almost always = better with electronics. So ya I would go with a K-01... Read some of the reviews on the K-01 and look at some of the images taken with high quality lenses, the K-01 picks up very small details with out having do that stupid HDR Grundge effect. I'm in absolute love with sony's 16mp APS-C sensor... I actually would suggest you pick up any camera with sony's 16mp sensor, even though pentax programers must be god like to push the kinda detail out of it but it's not that far passed the NEX-5n which has the same sensor and the sony guys swear by... it is also small and a good deal and can adapt your K or M42 lenses... So I think you should be weighing out the K-01 or sony nex-5n, that was the decision I had to go through...

08-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Confusing. For serious good IQ there are no small sensor camera's.
What Ron said... haha...
08-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so let's talk a little about the K-01. How does it feel with a larger lens, e.g. the DA*16-50 attached? Or is this camera best suited to Limited primes? (I have all three FA Limiteds an the DA15.) How bad/good in the LCD viewfinder in bright sunlight? I read Steve Huff's review, and the LCD seemed to be deal-breaker for him.

Rob
08-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
OK, so let's talk a little about the K-01. How does it feel with a larger lens, e.g. the DA*16-50 attached? Or is this camera best suited to Limited primes? (I have all three FA Limiteds an the DA15.) How bad/good in the LCD viewfinder in bright sunlight? I read Steve Huff's review, and the LCD seemed to be deal-breaker for him.

Rob
I have a K5 and, back in May, picked up a K-01 on the way to the airport for a recent vacation. I don't consider it so much a backup as an alternative to the K5 when you want a little lighter package, but still the same great lenses. Although not small, it just seems to handle lighter than the K5. I also have all the DA limiteds. I have stated previously that I think the K-01 is at it's best with the DA limiteds - just seems to suit the "form factor." The K-01 was much easier to hike around with clipped onto my belt with carabiners and one of the LTDs mounted. It is a great platform if you like primes and easy to have any of the 21, 40 and 70 limiteds mounted with the others in either pocket. The 35 macro and 15 LTD are pushing if for pocket convenience but easy to carry in a light day pack. This is a great setup for landscape and vacation photography where speed of AF is not an issue and composing through the LCD is sometimes preferable than the OVF - personal opinion here. I only rarely found composing on the LCD a problem in bright sunlight and for practical purposes don't ever feel I missed 'the shot" due to the LCD. This wouldn't be different than any other camera requiring use of an LCD to compose - unless it was perhaps articulated. I don't have the 16-50 but do have the 18-135. I have put this lens on the K-01 once to try, and don't like it much on the camera. I prefer it for the small primes. Hope that helps and good luck with your decision.
08-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Inactive Account

May I suggest a Kx (unlikely to find one new though) if you wanted something smaller as a K5 backup, will get one for a lot less than a K-01 although uses AA instead of the K5s battery (which could be a good thing).
08-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

K-01 is a great backup, RX100 is a superb second camera, you need to work out what it is you're after.
08-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The questions are :

1. Sony or Pentax?
2. Fast AF (rx100) / Fast/Decent AF depending on lenses (K01)
3. Size
4. Backup to use the dslr lenses?
5. Better IQ? (K01) : RX100 (good enough IQ)
08-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #14

I bought my K-01 to be my back-up camera for my K20D and to use it mainly for Macro for my work. For family photos and for a smaller camera i have a Sony NEX-3.
Depends on your needs and compromise on IQ you're willing to accept.

Good luck.
08-11-2012, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #15
Banned

I use my K-01 for a few things. One is for familystuff or outings that I'm not on a photographic assignment, but just want to have a camera with me. On those occasions I only take the camera with a lens attached and no other lenses, I just make a descision to what would works the best (FA31mm, DA*55 and FA*85 mostly).

When I want to make narrow dof pictures then I also have the feeling that the K-01 is far more handy then my K-5.

Took K-01 and FA*85 with me for this trip (a friend of mine is dancing in the new dancegroup).

Video (handheld): Vera in 5.0.7!! dancing

Pictures: Dance 5.0.7!!

Can you do this with the RX100? Yes! Can you reach the narrow DOF? No!