Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Have fun with your new K-01! In my experience, when used with prime lenses the auto-focus is mostly pretty quick and the accuracy beats any of my DSLRs. It is only lenses with long focus throws or once the conditions get dark (thinking the 50-200mm at f8) that I've seen it perform slower than I'd like. I am still holding out hope that Pentax will release a few more lenses optimized for the K-01 (or future models) as it seems to me it wouldn't take a lot of re-engineering.

08-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #17

Original Poster
In the end, I actually returned the camera, and will be keeping my K-r. With my prime lenses, the focus was okay. Not as quick as the K-r, but I was thinking it would be okay. One thing I didn't like was it would refocus each time, even if it was already more or less in focus from the last shot. And, often this wouldn't just be a minor adjustment, going all the way from one extreme to the other before finding the focus. But I thought I could deal with this by simply moving focus to the AF button and disabling the focus on the shutter button. And then playing around with focus peak, I thought that using a lens with quick shift, and using AF and focus peaking seemed great. Ultimately though, I was disappointed. the focus was too variable on different lenses. On the kit lens it struggled. More problematically for me, it had similar problems with one of my favourite lenses - the FA 35-70. And that problem was made worse by the fact that that lens doesn;t have quick shift. So in the end, I just thought I would find it frustrating too often, so I returned it. Which is a shame, because if it wasn't for that, I would have really liked the camera. I am hoping that Pentax won't be put off by the poor sales, and will continue with this style of camera. And, although I returned it, a part of me remains a fan. I certainly don't think this is just a camera for people who want a point and shoot, but want to change lenses. Using it with the 70mm ltd, switching easily between AF and and focus peaking, I can really see how a photography enthusiast could enjoy this camera. But for me, it does need to improve the AF first.
08-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Think focus lock - MF switch

All of your reasons for deciding to return make sense to me. You probably are in the majority. As someone who just resorts to MF as soon as I encounter a difficult AF situation, it just becomes second nature. Truth be told, the combo of superior Pentax legacy lenses and current Samyang lenses has me moving toward MF instinctively more and more for situations where catching action isn't an issue. However, with the better fast lenses, the K-01 is very good.

The solution to the problem of repeated focus hunt in static situations is really simple. Once you achieve focus with an initial AF shot, flip the switch on the body to MF and you're ready to go - clutch or clutchless - shoot away.

The camera really demands attention to workarounds - and thrives with the highest quality lenses. The camera demands patience. Unfortunately, it was marketed in the exact opposite direction. So many of us thought Ricoh would bring some intelligence to the marketing end - after all how could it get worse? Hmm... close call.
08-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #19

Original Poster
Yes, totally agree. Although I sent it back, I still think it had a lot going for it. But not for people moving from point and shoots, but for people wanting to use it with the ltd lenses, or old manual primes.

On the plus side, in the UK the major camera seller is Jessops. Not long ago, they didn't stock any Pentax - as a matter of policy. Now they have the Q, the K-01, The K5 and the K30 all in stock at once. So something is getting better for Pentax.

06-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
K-01 will be better than K5 for pTTL, and video. However, if you don't like using the screen for shooting, or you plan to ditch the K20D and KR - which is going to be far better for action shooting - I think going with the K-01 as your only body is the wrong move. The K5 is the best single option unless you do a lot of pTTL flash, then the K30 is your best option.
Hi. I realise that this post is from a long time ago, but maybe you will see it.

Iwas just re-reading this thread (partly because I am beginning to consider the K-01 again), but noticed this comment about the K5. What is the issue with the K5 and pTTL flash?

Thanks