Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unboxing the K-01 white from Pentax Singapore

Today I received the eagerly awaited Pentax K-01 white from Pentax Singapore. Here are my unboxing photos which I hope will give people an idea what to expect from Pentax Singapore. Personally I am impressed with their service.

Name:  IMG_9037_cr.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  97.9 KB
Here is the original packaging that arrived at my door. Package appears to be very well packed. There are no dents on the box whatsoever.

Name:  IMG_9044.JPG
Views: 997
Size:  80.5 KB
The original package was first wrapped by a bubble wrap, inserted into another box, and wrapped again by a black plastic wrap which should give good protection against water.

Name:  IMG_9047.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  63.4 KB
Here is a side view of the K-01 box. An interesting thing to note is that I ordered an "UNBOXED" version of the K-01. AFAIK, that means that I won't be getting the original box that comes with the camera. I am very pleasantly surprised to find that Pentax Singapore actually deliver the original box to me. Kudos to Pentax Singapore.

Name:  IMG_9053.JPG
Views: 893
Size:  82.7 KB
Here are the contents inside the package. All the stuff are there. Nothing is missing.

Name:  IMG_9066.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  92.6 KB
An overview of everything that comes in the box - Body, neck strap, battery, charger (comes with an Asian plug however...not a big deal to me), AV cables, software CD, warranty papers, manuals.

Name:  IMG_9054.JPG
Views: 813
Size:  58.2 KB
And here is the K-01 white

Name:  IMG_9060.JPG
Views: 804
Size:  67.5 KB
And another photo

So for anyone who has reservations whether to order from Pentax Singapore, I would say go for it

I hope this post is useful in any way.....

08-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice unboxing photos of that little stormtrooper

Did you charge the battery yet? When I was charging my K-01 for the first time it felt like the longest charge time ever Not because it took a long time, just because I was so impatient and excited.
08-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Na Horuk. I am charging the battery that comes with the camera right now....but because I have my other batteries from the K-7, I am able to start up the camera in no time at all

Everything works well so far. It is a nice camera.

I have not seen the white K-01 in person before i bought the camera (all local stores only carry the black version)...so I am pleasantly surprised that the white colour look even better than the internet photos.
08-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never notice this before at the store...but looking at the bottom of the camera where the battery compartment is, it can be observed that the battery itself occupy almost the bulk of the body's depth...had Pentax uses a smaller capacity battery, I don't see why the body can't be slimmed down further....but having said that I am kinda happy that Pentax uses a large capacity battery for the K-01 and not the smaller D-LI109 that comes with the K-30 (maybe because cameras using live view tend to eat battery more than normal)...

Name:  IMG_9069.JPG
Views: 1445
Size:  54.8 KB

08-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I have not seen the white K-01 in person before i bought the camera (all local stores only carry the black version)...so I am pleasantly surprised that the white colour look even better than the internet photos
I've seen all four colors - even the European only color. Twice while in NYC I've also seen non Pentax manufacturer that completely replace the factory skin. It looks a lot like the "skin" of the expensive K-01 case. One of these variations of the K-01 was seen leaving B&H - although I'm not sure if it was purchased there (even used).
08-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I never notice this before at the store...but looking at the bottom of the camera where the battery compartment is, it can be observed that the battery itself occupy almost the bulk of the body's depth...had Pentax uses a smaller capacity battery, I don't see why the body can't be slimmed down further....but having said that I am kinda happy that Pentax uses a large capacity battery for the K-01 and not the smaller D-LI109 that comes with the K-30 (maybe because cameras using live view tend to eat battery more than normal)...

Attachment 138544
The body depth would likely be the same due to mount to sensor registration distance. I compared my Kx to my film body and the difference in the body depth (mount to back of the camera) would probably be the sensor, SR system and the LCD electronics.
08-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #7

Congrats!

Yes the MLC takes more power because it's always on LV, i'm also happy that Pentax kept that big battery. In my NEX-3 the battery life is short compared to the K-01.

08-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your comments.

I tried out the K-01 today in good light....viewing the LCD screen is not as bad as what I have read...not perfect but useable most of the time.

Lens with long throw do seem to focus much slower compared with my K-7...for instance the DA35 Ltd Macro tend to hunt before it locks into place. I read this prior buying the camera so this is not unexpected to me. The DA15 and DA70 works well. In low light they will still fail to lock focus on things lacking contrast but this is also not unexpected.....It has its limitations yes but overall, I like the camera.
08-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats, I too bought the same white K-01 from Pentax Singapore and got my camera delivered to my doorstep in a matter of hours. Awesome service.