Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I keep my K-01 (mostly with FA31mm) in my hands, with right thumb and my left fingers under the lens. In that way you can look at the camera's back lcd and keep the camera stable. It's a different way for holding a camera, since you don't have your face to stabalise your camera against.
Do you find that it's common to have stabilization issues?

09-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Do you find that it's common to have stabilization issues?
well I made almost 10.000 pictures with my K-01 and I'm very used now to its functioning. I also changed the setting for SR, to working all the time, this does drain the battery, but it is always functioning and this makes it quicker and more reliable. You always keer SR issues, I have them with my K-5 and with the OS in my Sigmalens. SR is something that helps, but you have to use it proparly.
09-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Ya I've shot quite a bit with my K-01, the reason why I bought my K-01 was for a native mirrorless body to use the Voigtlander SLII series... I'm one of the hopeless saps waiting on a FF pentax, so until than I figured I'd collect all the SLII lenses before they can no longer be got at a good price, need camera to shoot them cause film is getting expensive. They are a dream to use on the K-01 and look great on it too... Manual focus lenses on the K-01 is seriously where it's at, landscape, portraits and street photography is what this camera is good at, I've noticed the bright yellow of the camera and it's anti camera appearance causes people to look at your camera but the yellow and looks throws them off so they don't instantly think "camera" so by the time they even noticed you snapped a picture with them looking at your camera your long gone. The way the camera is shaped it's easy to fist it and shoot with your thumb which makes zone focusing very easy as zone focusing is a vital element to street photography, I've shot portrait mode while throwing the camera over my shoulder to shoot the people walking behind me. I would not get this camera if you have no clue how to focus properly, the auto focus blows with zooms, have not got to try it with any primes as I have no auto focus primes. The camera also looks great in person, the only time I ever heard this camera called ugly is by people who hang out on the internet, I get nothing but complements on it in the real world.
09-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #19

I have a K-01 and had a K-r, so I can also say you get better IQ and less noise on the K-01. The 40XS fits the K-r just fine (just looks a little bit funny the K-r with such a tiny lens). Also you really use more MF with it. Focus Peaking is great, and it will really make you use the AF less and less. It can really make you start looking to buy those wonderful old MF lens.

Never had a problem with the LCD, (and I live in Brazil, a very sunny place), SR is the same as the K-r, but I think that putting the palm of your left hand bellow it and you fingers on the lens you can make it more stable and slow down a bit you f speed if needed.

Oh yeah, the K-01 goes great with small limited primes. Those keep the overall size small and with great IQ to boot.

09-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #20
Forum Member

Deja vu!

I had a K200D and tossed up whether to supplement with a K-01 or get a K-r. Unfortunately I got the K-r, then recently went ahead and got the K-01. It is a bit smaller than the K-r and considerably smaller than the K-30.

1) IQ is definitely better than the K-r. Don't have a K-5, but I suppose the question now is how it compares to a K-5II?

2) Handles video brilliantly. Get an external mic. Very dissapointed that Focus Peaking does not work with video. Auto focus is noisy and mostly useless (compared to any DSLR).

3) Keep the K-r for shooting sports outside for both the PDAF and the OVF. K-01 is not good for sports and the K-r is not good for indoors under tungsten.

I am happy with the combination of cameras.

You may also consider a Sony NEX if you don't have a lot of K-mount lenses. I do, so it was not an option for me.