Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Close To Buying A K01 But Was Hoping To Get Some Answers First

Hello,

I've been seriously debating buying a K-01, but there are a few things that I'd like to find out before doing so.

1) How do the images compare to a K-5? It's supposed to have the same sensor right? I currently have a Kr and I'm pretty sure it has better image quality than that, but I'm really curious about how it compares to a K-5. But can someone confirm it?

2) How does it handle video? There is no autofocus with video, right? Also, my Kr has a tendency to overheat whenever I use the video feature for more than a few minutes. Does this happen with the K-01?

3) Can you use the camera properly in bright and sunny days? I do most of my shooting outside (usually taking sports pictures) and it's rare when I can actually use Live Mode with the Kr.

I've never actually seen a K-01 in person, but I'm sure it's around the size of my Kr. I have no issues with the way it looks. I've always liked it. My main reason for wanting to get one is because the new K-5II seems to be missing the video features that are already available in the K-01 and K30. I'm not really considering a K30 because of the lack of a mic input.

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get.

09-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gleaning from several review sites (I've been checking them, those prices are mighty tempting) tells me a few things - but an owner will serve you best. I was checking dcresource.com today so I'll "quote" from there.

1) dcresource claims it's the best sensor in any mirrorless cam (well that was 2 weeks ago of course, pre-photokina announcements).
2) AF is not continuous during video, but you can snap to focus with AF any time you wish. It might hunt though, so it's a risk.
3) dcresource also commends the bright screen.
Note however that their review overall was not glowing, they had their issues. Nearly every reviewer has been harsher than nearly every owner, that's for sure.
09-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Most of your questions are answered in our review:
Pentax K-01 Camera Review - Review Introduction - PentaxForums.com

If you'd like anything clarified in particular, let me know! One thing the K-01 isn't designed for, however, is sports. It's got a small burst buffer and the AF sucks when stuff's moving.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
1) dcresource claims it's the best sensor in any mirrorless cam (well that was 2 weeks ago of course, pre-photokina announcements).
2) AF is not continuous during video, but you can snap to focus with AF any time you wish. It might hunt though, so it's a risk.
3) dcresource also commends the bright screen.
+1
I have a K-01 and I agree 100% with jimr-pdx's comments.

Last edited by hcc; 09-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.
09-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1. I have both K-5 and K-01, in terms of IQ, I don't see much if any difference between the 2. You will however notice the IQ improvement from K-r(had one for a period of time and I started with K-x), especially in difficult condition, K-5/K-01 sensor are simply more forgiving and got more headroom in post processing.
2. I don't do video so I can't comment.
3. In VERY bright sunlight you'd better off with a traditional OVF, as good as the LCD screen on K-01 is, it can still be a bit hard to use in bright sunlight. As for shooting sports, K-5 is miles better in this field, K-01 I found don't handle lens longer than 100MM very well, I only have screw drive long lenses and they are painfully slow to focus with K-01.

If I were you I'd go for both K-30 and K-01, K-30 for stills and K-01 for video....but that's just my 2cents

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 09-14-2012 at 12:45 AM.
09-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Perhaps the new Q for sports would be better? Smaller so easier to walk into/around arenas with, and possibly faster AF due to the lens sizes?
09-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

1) The RAW images from K-5 have more room for getting hi-lights and low-lights recovered then the K-01 does. But this is still an impressive camera.

2) There is no AF, but you can refocussus during filming, but that can be noisy and slow, depending on the lens you use. SDM is silent but slow.

2) Only 90% of the width of the sensor is used for movie, making it a 1.7x crop sensor, and that probably makes it more resistant to overheating.

3) It's not for sports, but like for sports where you can prefocus you can use the K-01, but there is no AF-C function at all. I did use mine for volleybal service, highjump and pole-highjump since you know where the athletes are.

3) In bright light it can be trickey, but it never stopped me from taking pictures.
09-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What makes the K-01 better for video? Is it considerably better than a K5? Will the K5II also fall short on video features?

09-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Perhaps the new Q for sports would be better? Smaller so easier to walk into/around arenas with, and possibly faster AF due to the lens sizes?
Technically speaking it would be better than the k-01 as it'll focus faster, but you'll find that its small size actually backfires when it comes to shooting stability. The main issue with all Pentax CDAF cameras right now is that there isn't really a continuous focusing mode (AF.C). At the end of the day, DSLRs still dominate mirrorless for sports, at least for now.
09-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
What makes the K-01 better for video? Is it considerably better than a K5? Will the K5II also fall short on video features?
The k-01 has got more shooting options (1080 at 30/25/24, 720 at 60/50/30 fps) than the K-5 (1080 at 25, 720 at 30/25 fps) and also uses a better format IMO (h264 .mov's rather than avi's). On top of that it has focus peaking, (rudimentary) on demand AF during video, and manual aperture, shutter speed, and ISO controls.

From the spec sheet it looks like the k-5 II has the same video specs as it predecessor, as it doesn't use the new PRIME M chip.
09-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
dcresource claims it's the best sensor in any mirrorless cam (well that was 2 weeks ago of course, pre-photokina announcements).

Yes dr did claim that, but they are also incorrect. Leica sells a mirrorless as well - it retails for about 2k. The sensor is better on the Leica, as are the optics, but... It also has only one lens. But the Pentax K-01 still does hold the title for best mirrorless sensor (for an interchangeable lens camera).

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
DSLRs still dominate mirrorless for sports, at least for now
But then again (given all of the Pentax line cameras for sale presently), Pentax is not exactly known for truly quick action/sports photography. Now if only Pentax could do the same as most all of the Sony lines ten frames per second.
09-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Technically speaking it would be better than the k-01 as it'll focus faster, but you'll find that its small size actually backfires when it comes to shooting stability. The main issue with all Pentax CDAF cameras right now is that there isn't really a continuous focusing mode (AF.C). At the end of the day, DSLRs still dominate mirrorless for sports, at least for now.
Never thought about that aspect of it! Thanks for the insight! Looks like I'll keep lugging the K20D to games.
09-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I keep my K-01 (mostly with FA31mm) in my hands, with right thumb and my left fingers under the lens. In that way you can look at the camera's back lcd and keep the camera stable. It's a different way for holding a camera, since you don't have your face to stabalise your camera against.
09-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have the K-r and K-01 and the K-01 definitely has better quality stills. The sensor is the same as the k-5, but it records less bits so there is slightly less image data than in the K-5. AF is good because there are no problems with front/back focusing since it is contrast detect only, but that does make it slower and not very useful for quickly moving targets. Focus peaking is useful, though, and you can just use manual focus for a lot of stuff. Regarding the LCD.. its good, it works for me even in bright sunlight, but of course at certain angles you might have some glare over it (though, I don't think I ever noticed it on the K-01, but I know I did with my K-r, so..)
Oh, and about overheating.. well, I think the K-01 is designed with live view in mind, though I did notice it getting warm when using it for a very long time (for hours with few breaks) in the summer. I never got an overheating warning on it, though. I did get it once with my K-r, but I tend to use the K-r more often so it may be just that. Remember that the K-r and K-01 do not use the same batteries.
09-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I have the K-r and K-01 and the K-01 definitely has better quality stills. The sensor is the same as the k-5, but it records less bits so there is slightly less image data than in the K-5. AF is good because there are no problems with front/back focusing since it is contrast detect only, but that does make it slower and not very useful for quickly moving targets. Focus peaking is useful, though, and you can just use manual focus for a lot of stuff. Regarding the LCD.. its good, it works for me even in bright sunlight, but of course at certain angles you might have some glare over it (though, I don't think I ever noticed it on the K-01, but I know I did with my K-r, so..)
Oh, and about overheating.. well, I think the K-01 is designed with live view in mind, though I did notice it getting warm when using it for a very long time (for hours with few breaks) in the summer. I never got an overheating warning on it, though. I did get it once with my K-r, but I tend to use the K-r more often so it may be just that. Remember that the K-r and K-01 do not use the same batteries.
Have you had any regrets about getting a K-01 instead of a K5? I think my biggest fear about getting a K-01 is having buyer's remorse. I actually really like the way the camera looks and it seems to have everything I would want. The lack of viewfinder is probably what concerns me most. Also, does the 40mm prime that comes with the K-01 work with the Kr? I don't see why it wouldn't, but you never know.