Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-01 focus assist lamp and external flash

Hi guys, I just realised a couple of days back that when u mount an external flash on the K-01, the camera will still use the body's focus assist lamp instead of using the one on the external flash. Tried it with the Metz 48 and this is how I see it. I think this is a good thing as i never really like the focus assist lamp from the external flash....hope this info is helpful to anyone...cheers.

09-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, that would seem to be a problem with the camera because there will be times that the flash assist will be stonger.
09-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm....I dont have my 360FGZ with me and I wonder if this is specific only for Metz flashes...
09-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hmm....I dont have my 360FGZ with me and I wonder if this is specific only for Metz flashes...
Perhaps others will chime in on this? If its only the Metz that would be less of a problem IMHO.

09-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I just checked this out with my Pentax AF-360FGZ and I don't get the assist light of the external flash to work either. Then I thought I would play with the menu settings just to experiment a little. So, with the AF assist lamp setting enabled it uses the camera's built in flash even with the Pentax external flash mounted. Next I thought perhaps if I disabled the menu setting for AF assist lamp it might default to the external flashgun, but in that setting it puts out no AF assist light from either the camera or the external flash, as you would expect. All of this is also constant no matter if the flash is set for P-TTL, SB, or A. Also true for different lenses - ie the new XS vs DA limiteds and the DA 18-135.

Therefore, I also find that the K-01 uses the camera's built in AF assist lamp even when the Pentax 360 external flash is mounted, just like with your Metz. This got me digging into the manual a little bit too, and seems strange since on page 220 of the K-01 manual there is a table of external flash functions and it seems to indicate that the AF assist lamp of the Pentax external flash (360 and 540) should be available to the camera - but indeed - I'm not getting that when I test it out !! So, there you go. (100th post for me !!)

Last edited by fotogaffer; 09-16-2012 at 08:33 PM.
09-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
I just checked this out with my Pentax AF-360FGZ and I don't get the assist light of the external flash to work either. Then I thought I would play with the menu settings just to experiment a little. So, with the AF assist lamp setting enabled it uses the camera's built in flash even with the Pentax external flash mounted. Next I thought perhaps if I disabled the menu setting for AF assist lamp it might default to the external flashgun, but in that setting it puts out no AF assist light from either the camera or the external flash, as you would expect. This is also constant no matter if the flash is set for P-TTL, SB, or A. Also true for different lenses - ie the new XS vs DA limiteds and the DA 18-135.

Therefore, I also find that the K-01 uses the camera's built in AF assist lamp even with the Pentax 360 external flash is mounted, just like with your Metz. This got me digging into the manual a little bit too, and seems strange since on page 220 of the K-01 manual there is a table of external flash functions and it seems to indicate that the AF assist lamp of the Pentax external flash (360 and 540) should be available to the camera - but indeed - I'm not getting that when I test it out !! So, there you go. (100th post for me !!)
Seems like a firmware fix may be called for in this case.
09-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks fotogaffer for that info. I have now tried with my 360 flash as well and true enough the flash assist light does not come on.....whether this is desirable or not I really don't know but I am not complaining.

I never really like the flash assist light as I find AF focusing using the flash's AF beam is a lot slower and less predictable...I am happy that my K-01 uses its own AF beam.