Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member
kaiserz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NoVa The "burg"
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 899
Can this be done?

I'm not a big fan of the K01's looks but after seeing this I'm like hmmm not bad


This is just a quick mock-up that I made. Do you guys think it's possible to change the rubber thingymagigs that the K01 have and change it into something like wood or leather








Last edited by kaiserz; 09-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.
09-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
The problem is that this image doesn't show the grip correctly on the left, and would be a little harder to shape the wood too the true shape of the grip.
09-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattt's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,820
Co-branding with IKEA now?

creative
09-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
ASa
Senior Member
ASa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tampere/Helsinki
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 218
I think the wooden version would be doable with veneer or something similar. How ever it would take quite a bit of craftsmanship to make it fit even remotely perfectly due to all the buttons and stuff. Leather would be far more easier, yet not a walk in the park to make look good. Also moisture may become a problem with wood, so you'd have to lacquer the wooden parts.

09-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,947
I think this is feasible...I don't see why not....at least someone seem to have done this.

http://photographybanzai.com/2012/05/30/replacing-the-pentax-k-01-grip/

And this is how the K-01 looks like internally...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/196130-info-how-internals-k-01-look-like.html
09-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Well that looks good and it should be real wood to sell. Or just wrap a dead animal around it for fashionables.
09-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
ASa
Senior Member
ASa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tampere/Helsinki
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 218
QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
I think the wooden version would be doable with veneer or something similar. How ever it would take quite a bit of craftsmanship to make it fit even remotely perfectly due to all the buttons and stuff. Leather would be far more easier, yet not a walk in the park to make look good. Also moisture may become a problem with wood, so you'd have to lacquer the wooden parts.
Actually now that I look at it there aren't too many buttons to go around, so main points would be the few doors you'd have to figure. But I think it wouldn't bee too hard actually..! And would look cool too.
09-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18
Looks wak. K-01 looks ace as it is, why change a mind blowing design??? Nothing on the market now compares to it. All the HCB wannabees using retro designs need to find their own style & subject matter.

09-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Look here:

JAGUAR XJ6 1983 83 1984 84 1985 85 86 87 DASH TRIM KIT | eBay

They use cherry wood in Jaguar, so you can make it around the K-01. Maybe for the Red Dot Award Limited Edition!
09-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member
kaiserz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NoVa The "burg"
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 899
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Co-branding with IKEA now?

creative
Haha IKEA, good one!


QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I think this is feasible...I don't see why not....at least someone seem to have done this.

Replacing the Pentax K-01 Grip | photographybanzai.com

And this is how the K-01 looks like internally...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/196130-info-how-internals-k-01-look-like.html
That's actually why I had this idea, I saw that "Replacing the pentax K01 grip" from photography banzai and then saw this guy

And I was like "hmmm why not?"





QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
Actually now that I look at it there aren't too many buttons to go around, so main points would be the few doors you'd have to figure. But I think it wouldn't bee too hard actually..! And would look cool too.
Nice! Good to know, and you have some good tips. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Robski Quote
Looks wak. K-01 looks ace as it is, why change a mind blowing design??? Nothing on the market now compares to it. All the HCB wannabees using retro designs need to find their own style & subject matter.
Why change a mind blowing design? Cause I can and because I want to, and it's going to be my camera anyway, probably just a matter of personal taste.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Look here:

JAGUAR XJ6 1983 83 1984 84 1985 85 86 87 DASH TRIM KIT | eBay

They use cherry wood in Jaguar, so you can make it around the K-01. Maybe for the Red Dot Award Limited Edition!
Nice! thanks for the tip! But I'm not exactly sure if I'm going to do this. I don't even have a K01 yet. still going to order before the 30th. But knowing that it is plausible is a good thing.
10-17-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
Forum Member
ChrisJowett's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 79
I'd like grainy leatherette like most 1970/80s SLRs.
11-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
I'm interested if the rubber door can be trimmed back -- and still look nice -- giving me unrestricted access to the memory card port. I don't care if the data ports are covered, but the memory card slot has its own door after all... and judging by how often I'm taking the card out of my Kx, I do believe the K01 is going to be annoying in that regard. (Dunno yet, mine arrives tomorrow!)

Charles.
11-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,493
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I'm interested if the rubber door can be trimmed back -- and still look nice -- giving me unrestricted access to the memory card port. I don't care if the data ports are covered, but the memory card slot has its own door after all... and judging by how often I'm taking the card out of my Kx, I do believe the K01 is going to be annoying in that regard. (Dunno yet, mine arrives tomorrow!)

Charles.
You could easily take it off, but it would probably feel odd under the hand - the rubber forms the rear corner of the camera. I've only seen one or two people who had as much trouble with the door after they got the camera as they thought they would before. Once you learn the trick of sliding the rubber piece in from the rear, instead of trying to push it in from the side, it really isn't a problem (at least, in my experience).
11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I think this is feasible...I don't see why not....at least someone seem to have done this.

Replacing the Pentax K-01 Grip | photographybanzai.com
I actually dig the looks of that fake white and yellow camera ...
11-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Forum Member
wolffy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Saint Paul, MN USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 63
this guy makes some real nice covering kits I have one for a Oly E-PL3 it's well done. maybe if we start emailing him he will do something for a K-01
Aki-Asahi Camera Coverings
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
change, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top