Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help me pull the trigger

Hey guys, I've been really interested in getting the K-01 Adorama bundle Pentax K-01 Digital Camera with Pentax 40mm F/2.8 XS Lens - White - Bundle 15400 A Is it the right time to buy? or should I wait?

*EDIT*
I'm also thinking of selling my beloved k7 and Tamron 28 - 75 f2.8 to fund it. Money wise I'm not really in a good shape. So I figured I'd sell my k7 and some other lens to get some $ and then buy the K01 so I still have a camera that I can use.
Thanks.

Last edited by kaiserz; 09-30-2012 at 08:47 AM.
09-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why??
09-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Why??
why?.

why sell the k7?
why buy a k01?
why get the adorama package?

Last edited by kaiserz; 09-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.
09-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would suggest that if you want to shoot action/sports, or you want to use a long zoom, then don't sell your K-7. The K-01 is not designed for that kind of shooting requirement. The K-01 is otherwise a great camera but it is just not designed to do certain things.

09-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I would suggest that if you want to shoot action/sports, or you want to use a long zoom, then don't sell your K-7. The K-01 is not designed for that kind of shooting requirement. The K-01 is otherwise a great camera but it is just not designed to do certain things.
Thank you. I do know the K01's limitation and am aware that it's not a capable camera for action/sports with that said I rarely shoot with a long zoom. The longest I have is my M 135 3.5. Also I'm only a casual shooter, and photography is a hobby a way to express my artistic side and very rarely a gig. I shoot film and I stick with manual focus lenses almost all the time. But I will get the k5 in the future once I get enough money.
09-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Then I think the K-01 should be just fine for you. I guess if you continue to wait for the price to drop, u will never get any camera. The way I approach this is to save up for the camera, and buy once I am comfortable with the price.
09-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
why?.

why sell the k7?
why buy a k01?
why get the adorama package?
Why sell the K-7 to get a K-01? With all the problems reported with it and a variety of lenses, no viewfinder, limited controls, etc. why go from a fully functional dSLR to a K-01? If you want it and selling the K-7 makes that possible, enjoy the K-01.

09-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Then I think the K-01 should be just fine for you. I guess if you continue to wait for the price to drop, u will never get any camera. The way I approach this is to save up for the camera, and buy once I am comfortable with the price.
Thank you sir.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Why sell the K-7 to get a K-01? With all the problems reported with it and a variety of lenses, no viewfinder, limited controls, etc. why go from a fully functional dSLR to a K-01? If you want it and selling the K-7 makes that possible, enjoy the K-01.
Thank you for elaborating your question and I have to say "True", why would I even think of selling my fully functional proven and tested k7 to get a new, might have some QC issues ugly k01. Money I guess? size? even though the k01 is not that smaller than the k7. Maybe because it's less intimidating? Right now the K01 + 40xs are being sold for $590. 40xs alone is almost $220+, Adorama's SD card, extra battery, and small camera container is roughly around 20+ bucks, so basically the k01 brand new is about $350.
With that said I would have to say that for about $350 the K01 beats the nex3 or nex5 for the price. In all honesty I was thinking of selling my camera gear to support myself "money wise" for a couple of months and then build my gear back again once I'm all stable.
I was planning on selling my beloved K7 and some of my lenses and keep my M&A lenses and then get a cheap NEX + P/K adapter, because I don't think I can be w/o camera. But then the k01's price went down to where I can afford it and here I am trying to decide if I should get it now or wait some more. Also I want to have a smaller camera that I can just throw inside my bag and would not take-up much space and I think the K01+40xs will do the job. Also using the K01 as my street "portrait" camera would benefit me because it's smaller, less intimidating, and looks like a child's toy and since I almost shoot manual all the time the k01's focus peaking will definitely help, specially when I win the lotto and get me some 55 1.2's and hopefully also get myself a k-5 to fill the K-01's huge deficit in some departments. Maybe I'm not making sense, cause I don't even get what I'm gonna do...
09-30-2012, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not? It appears that you have looked at the pros and cons of each camera for your needs. I've read a lot of negatives about the K-01 on this site, but not from the people that actually own them. You're not going to get a lot of DSLR owners saying this is a good idea, because it's not what they want. I wouldn't do it myself, but that's because of what I need and like. There is a very vocal group of people in the forums wanting a full frame. I don't care about a full frame at all, but if they want it I hope they get it. The point is do what you want to do, not what everybody else thinks you should do, if you did that initially you'd be walking around with a Rebel with the lens hood reversed.
09-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Why not? It appears that you have looked at the pros and cons of each camera for your needs. I've read a lot of negatives about the K-01 on this site, but not from the people that actually own them. You're not going to get a lot of DSLR owners saying this is a good idea, because it's not what they want. I wouldn't do it myself, but that's because of what I need and like. There is a very vocal group of people in the forums wanting a full frame. I don't care about a full frame at all, but if they want it I hope they get it. The point is do what you want to do, not what everybody else thinks you should do, if you did that initially you'd be walking around with a Rebel with the lens hood reversed.
Thank you sir. And I understand what you're saying about the DSLR owners. To be honest my real question was
Is it the right time to buy? or should I wait?
Thanks.
but as you can see I ended up just defending myself on why get the camera (: and good one on the rebel with lens hood reversed! I got a good laugh out of that heheheheh!
09-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you sir. And I understand what you're saying about the DSLR owners. To be honest my real question was but as you can see I ended up just defending myself on why get the camera (: and good one on the rebel with lens hood reversed! I got a good laugh out of that heheheheh!
You see that all the time, I just want to stop them and tell them they have it on backwards. The last wedding I was at one of the photographers had their hood reversed, and they are supposed to be pros.
09-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You see that all the time, I just want to stop them and tell them they have it on backwards. The last wedding I was at one of the photographers had their hood reversed, and they are supposed to be pros.
Hahaha true (:

Anyway just an update, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. wish I did it last night though so I would be able to get it here faster because of a one week holiday thing. So far I'm happy. I'm also going to be keeping the k7(My sister's going to buy it from me for super cheap, so she can use it and I can borrow it from her until I get my hands on a used k5)
09-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not own a K7 or K5, but the K-01 is great, and results for me are noticeably better than with my Nikon 5100, with much easier use (jpeg only). I really like the K-01 unless it is with flash, there the other option shines... The K-01 is a great camera, but I bet that could be said about any of the Pentax offerings. Enjoy!
09-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you'll get the best of both!
10-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
Banned