Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Switch off AF on shutter release?

Just got myself an ex demo all black K-01 for £275 in UK. Generally liking it so far.

With both my K100D and Samsung GX-10 I have assigned AF to one of the buttons, I then use Continuous AF until I'm ready to shoot and then press the shutter (which at that point does not perform any AF function).

While I can assign the AF functon to the AF/AE-L button on the K-01 and I can assign Shutter Priority to the Shutter button this doesn't actually switch off the AF from the shutter. Is there any way to do so?

Sorry if I have missed a thread that tells me how to do this, but I did do a forum search and couldn't find anyhthing on this.

Thanks

Neil

10-03-2012, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah well - after a bit more investigating - I found what I wanted was in the AF2 setting rather AF1. So that's that bit sorted.

Struggling a bit with AF accuracy just at the moment. I was expecting slow AF in certain circumstances and that's not really an issue for me, but AF doesn't seem to be producing very accurate results at the mo. Will investigate further.

Neil
10-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the AF in the default (face) mode? I just got a K-01 last week, but I've been playing with manual lenses and haven't done much with the AF yet. Seems like I always end up changing to center-point focusing no matter what camera I use.

-Todd
10-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Todd - I'm using AF Tracking mode (known as Continuous mode on earlier Pentax cameras) as this coupled to the AF button in combination the shutter only being used for shutter release allows me maximum flexibility for deciding how and when to capture correct focus. I've worked this way with my cameras for the last few years.

I think I'm getting the hang of it now and having spent some time this afternoon point the K-01 at things I do seem to be getting better at judging correct focus. I haven't really used the face mode.

I hope I can get to grips with this camera before I go soon on a holiday to Australia as I really would appreciate the improved high-ISO performance for situations where I may not be able to use flash.

Neil

10-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well the tracking mode is the one I wouldn't use for anything faster then a dead mouse.