Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Great real life view, thanks for that.

Well if you think that the 40mm xs lens is fantastic then you can even get better lenses. I sold my copy since I already own the 40mm Ltd pancak wich is in some way better (it has a hood and deals better with flare and purple fringing to name), but I still hardly use that lens on my K-01 since I like to have a little more grip to my camera with a larger lens. I use mainly FA31mm, DA*55mm and FA*85mm lenses on K-01. With the FA*85mm it tends to get a little heavy and have some frontweight from the lens. My preference is with the FA31mm since it does seem to make it to handle to my likings in my hands (I handle the the camera in my hands with my right thunb on the releasebutton and my left hand point and middle finger supporting the lens) and giving a nice angle for the things I do with the K-01. So I go on route with the K-01 only (and make a choice for one of the three lenses, just based upon what I'm expecting) or take it to join my K-5 and mostly take choices as K-5/DA*300 and K-01/FA*85 or K-5/FA*85 with K-01/FA31 or when I'm fyllu packed with all three camera's K-5/sigma70-200 and K-5/DA*300 and K-01/FA31 for sports.

The K-01 is faster in focussing and can make ore out of it when the light is going down when working with a faster lens. Simply to say the sensor needs light to work on contrast-AF and it gets more with a fast f1.4 lens then with a f2.8 lens like your 40mm or even worse a f5.6 kitlens.

Enjoy your K-01!
You're welcome, Ron. I do much as you; pick a FL based upon intended angle of view/mood, and go. I'm perfectly OK adjusting to anything in the wide to normal range and just living with it.

I am so impressed with the 40 because of its rendering; in some ways it reminds me more of my Rolleiflex's Planar than anything else I've ever used on digital. There's a "smooth sharpness" to it that I quite like. The rendering is quite beautiful, IMO. Most modern lenses are so heavy handed. I have noticed nasty CA and flare, but I'm not one to care, mostly.

Good point on faster lenses--I usually shoot the 18 or 35 on the Fuji which are f2 and f1.4, respectively. It sounds like I should seek out a FA31. I am attracted to the 21 because of the wider focal length, but that's not as fast. I'll ponder this one carefully. I do like shooting "normal" and often happily shoot with my 50 summilux on my old M3.

10-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
@ndjedinak > wow, thanks a lot for this detailed comparison, greatly appreciated!
You're welcome, nick and tromboads! I'd be happy to post more after a few months if the interest is there.
10-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a few thoughts.....

Pentax has created this, for lack of a better description, the K5 family of bodies - K5, K-01, K30, K5II and the K5IIs. Essentially the same (or very close) sensor, with a pretty common core set of capabilities. Right now in the US the price range stretches from a low of $450 for the K-01 to the K5IIs at something like $1300. The K-01 is just a raging steal at this price. It does have some limitations though. I like to shoot in the evening, ambient low light at ISO 80 for the great dynamic range. The K-01 has all the attributes of a great tripod body - LiveView with focus peaking and no mirror, but is limited to ISO 100 at the bottom end, and only does 12 bit A/D. These last two features are nice, but overall probably not that crucial unless you are intent on wringing out every last ounce of available dynamic range. I am guessing here, but with these limitations you can probably pull 90% of what a K5 would be capable of - at about half the price!

Then you come to the price. If I would have known, I may have held off on getting my K5 last January. But, I do have to say, having the K5 now, I do see these attributes favoring tripod use as a real positive. I probably shoot from the tripod 80% of the time, and this notion has been coming to mind over the last couple of months.

Bottom line - I see the K-01 as a pretty inexpensive landscape camera....

Just an update. A while ago, I read the post indicating that - I guess Quill.com was selling the K-01 for $450. Now every where I go, every site I visit (photography related or not), I get the #$@%& Quill.com advertisement. Its now long past being obnoxious, however to the point. Apparently the sale is gone along with the price, as their #$@%& obnoxious ads are telling me that it now $749.

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-06-2012 at 10:14 AM.
10-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #34

Buy one. I used a k10d prior to this and now the k10 more or less goes places where i think the WR is going to be crucial (fishing, more serious hiking, etc)

While the k-01 might not be as high dynamic range as the k-5, coming from the k-10 theres a huge improvement in terms of DR and the raw files have much more leeway to work with. I find that the pictures seem more detailed/crisper too.

When you do it, buy the 40xs as well. the two work well together, I find the camera fits in a jacket pocket that way, and honestly, the prices they're at now are rediculously good

I use it with lots of different lenses, from a sigma 10-20, various DA/FA ltds, a DA* 60-250 (some of my better photos recently were taken with that), and recently an FA*24. I think its comfortable up to a 16-50 or sigma 10-20 sized lens whether zoom or prime. the 60-250 is useable, but maybe a bit awkward.

You meniton looking odd with older lenses, I actually think that the camera looks best with old lenses on it (but, i have the black and kinda like the way it looks overall). I recently sold a helios 44, vivitar 28, jupiter 9 and all were good. i think the old pentax m and k 50's look great on it. Focus peaking is a really nice touch, but can be a bit tough to see in bright sunlight (not the screen, just the highlight). also, the jupiter9 was really fun to use overall.

Oh yeah, vs the k10, I think the AF motor is much quieter and seems fairly accurate (although, I just leave both on center point). its not super fast, but has gotten the job done so far.

Overall, I like that it doesnt look like a "serious" camera, but takes really nice pictures. i find I use it most for casual pictures at events/travel and landscapes when the weather is good. Not a replacement for a traditional DSLR necesarily, but fills a slightly different need with a bit of overlap. My only complaints about it are minor annoyances and no matter what camera I bought I'd find something that wasnt exactly right for me.

10-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #35

I paid about 580 for the k-01 w/40, and I think that's a steal. That's point and shoot money for a very high quality apps-c camera, with a great lens! The sad thing for Pentax is the price is what got me to make the leap, yet now that I've used one, I would have paid more...
10-06-2012, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
I paid about 580 for the k-01 w/40, and I think that's a steal. That's point and shoot money for a very high quality apps-c camera, with a great lens! The sad thing for Pentax is the price is what got me to make the leap, yet now that I've used one, I would have paid more...
Well you can transfer some money to me, since I paid a little more
10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well you can transfer some money to me, since I paid a little more
It's all gone, I was an early X-Pro adopter and paid much more than those buying them now
10-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Wait, a reasonable, balanced discussion of the K-01's capabilities based on actual experience? That's not right! (Thanks, by the way!)

I'm still learning the ropes of my K-01, but I can offer one crumb of real-world experience: a lot of reviews say it's too big to fit in a pocket. With the 40 XS mounted, it rode in a pocket of my fleece jacket for a couple hours yesterday, so I think they are mistaken. (Or do they mean pants pocket?)

10-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #39
Site Supporter

I bought a K-01 earlier this week and I have been carrying it around in my jacket pocket. It's a great size with the 40 XS and still pocketable but more bulky with the DA 40 limited. My first impressions are that this is a great carry around camera. It's lighter and smaller than my K-5 and feels light on my neck. This camera is perfect for using when bike riding or hiking in good weather. I have shot both raw and jpeg with it and have had good results. The one I bought was an open box model from Crutchfield with an outstanding price of $450 with the XS.
10-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

I've also found the K-01 to be a lot more practical for one-hand shooting (something I generally haven't done with my dSLRs, because it wasn't comfortable).
10-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #41

If you can't fit the k01/40xs in your pocket, your pockets are too tight

Honestly, the size isn't an issue in the pocket, I can fit it in a suit pants pocket fine. But the weight is a negative there, the Q rides better in pocket. I may put the strap on the k01, I bet it feels nice around the neck.
10-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I've also found the K-01 to be a lot more practical for one-hand shooting (something I generally haven't done with my dSLRs, because it wasn't comfortable).
I was joked just about that a few weeks ago when I was shooting at a Muay Thai fight night. That was the other photographer, with a large set, 5D Mark III with grip and new 24-70mm/f2.8 II lens. I had my K-01 with DA*55mm.

He said (not an excact quote):
"edited"

But then again, I was taking a picture off the roundmiss

Last edited by Blue; 10-08-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: language
10-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Last edited by tromboads; 10-08-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: corrected the happy faces :P
10-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Err that should be a line of giant happy faces
10-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #45
Site Supporter

My K-01 has produced excellent results with all my primes and my wider zooms. It really shines with the little DA limiteds. It's a brilliant entry-level still camera, but now I also have the Q for compact street and travel shooting I will reserve the K-01 for mainly video, which it also does quite nicely.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-08-2012 at 05:48 AM.