Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
....looks sheepishly at piles of m42 glass and praktica's sitting on the book shelf and wonders if the Zorki 4 really doesn't mind sitting next to the Sv1a, nor the Zenit XP. Perhaps it would feel more comfortable next to the Praktica FX, .. but then the praktica's wouldn't be all in line.

You guys are bad! S'if I need encouragement :S

Wait.. can some one take a photo of one with a Industar 50 attached?

Last edited by tromboads; 10-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.
10-05-2012, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*sigh* Yes, yes I can...

More K-01 fashion... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Just don't ask for a Holga... yet...
10-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Wow! the zebra on the K01 is looking hot!
10-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #19

Buy it! Like you, I have always been oddly attracted to this camera. I shoot a Fuji X-Pro 1, which I really like, and couldn't talk myself into "needing" a K-01 even though we've generally been pleased by our Q. After the recent price drop, I was again looking at photos of K-01's online (like a moth to a flame) when my wife said she loved the design and asked if I could get one for her. That was all I needed for an excuse to buy one!

I, of course, couldn't resist trying it out. We only have the 40XS, but I'm thrilled with the IQ. Handling is fine. Interface is typical Pentax (ie good). Build is excellent. I'm really enjoying it, and like the Q, I far prefer the Pentax "way" vs my Sony RX100 pocket cam. The RX100 stomps the Q in IQ, but not in handling. The K-01 wins at both, and I'm liking it so much I may buy one for myself, also. As mentioned above, it's kinda just an expensive rear cap for that XS lens. About the cost of 25 rolls of film with processing. Seems cheap when you think about it that way

10-05-2012, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One more K-01 / zebra combo:

Hmm, a bit large, but still classy! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
10-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My advice: Keep your K10D for ISO100 colors (especially landscape) and use the K-01 for MF lenses (with the focus peaking). Handling is just fine if you hold it as you would an old film camera, cradled in the left hand, finger and thumb on the focus ring (or not, if using AF) and a light right-hand grip. I have become accustomed to the Green Button. Movies have been fun through the months leading up to (and including) my son's wedding - a real bonus versus carrying a dedicated snoball mini-DVC (on which I use a Pentax 52mm K-series square 50mm lens hood ).

The K-01 isn't perfect but it does a few things excceedingly well.
10-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
Buy it! Like you, I have always been oddly attracted to this camera. I shoot a Fuji X-Pro 1, which I really like, and couldn't talk myself into "needing" a K-01 even though we've generally been pleased by our Q. After the recent price drop, I was again looking at photos of K-01's online (like a moth to a flame) when my wife said she loved the design and asked if I could get one for her. That was all I needed for an excuse to buy one!

I, of course, couldn't resist trying it out. We only have the 40XS, but I'm thrilled with the IQ. Handling is fine. Interface is typical Pentax (ie good). Build is excellent. I'm really enjoying it, and like the Q, I far prefer the Pentax "way" vs my Sony RX100 pocket cam. The RX100 stomps the Q in IQ, but not in handling. The K-01 wins at both, and I'm liking it so much I may buy one for myself, also. As mentioned above, it's kinda just an expensive rear cap for that XS lens. About the cost of 25 rolls of film with processing. Seems cheap when you think about it that way
Hi ndjedinak, how would you compare the K-01 vs X-Pro 1 in terms of handling, AF and IQ ?

10-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Wow! the zebra on the K01 is looking hot!
After the zebras how about a buffalo? (coz it's big round & grey)

Last edited by Kguru; 10-05-2012 at 08:31 AM.
10-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice... After the Industar, I put a Jupiter-36b 250/3.5 on my K-01, got ready to take a picture of it, then decided it was just silly.

Last edited by THoog; 10-05-2012 at 08:53 AM.
10-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I love this thread :P

So my conclusions. It doesn't matter what colour I end up with, and all you lot are just as mad as i be :P

Thanks a mint for all those dress up shots :P
10-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed, and agreed!

If the K-01 is going to have a cult following, it's going to need some crazies!
10-05-2012, 07:07 PM - 4 Likes   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Hi ndjedinak, how would you compare the K-01 vs X-Pro 1 in terms of handling, AF and IQ ?
It's a bit early for a conclusive answer, as I haven't had the K-01 at home for more than a week, and I've had the X-Pro 1 since May. But my first impressions after pulling it out of the box and playing around with it (can't resist shiny new toy) are that all three of those categories notch a "win" for the X-Pro, for my style of shooting and my preferences. But the K-01 has some irresistible strengths.

Handling: the K-01 handles much better than it looks, but there are some ergonomic niggles (the green button placement is unfortunate, there's no exposure comp dial), and its a heavy brick of a thing. But it's a Pentax--it's still a photographer centric camera, even with all the odd design choices, and I'm fine with the handling. No doubt the Fuji "disappears" better in your hands, though, if you're like me it feels like every camera you've shot since your film days. Very well designed and thought out, IMO.

AF: speed is no question, the X-Pro. A lot has been made of the lack of speed, but IMO ever since firmware 1.1 it's perfectly acceptable in use. 2.0 was an improvement in low light, and with the 60 especially, but I didn't notice the night and day difference some have reported. In accuracy, though, I think the k-01 comes out on top. The X-Pro can misfire at times, and even when you get a good lock its not always dead nuts on. The pentax seems a little slower, but more accurate. In poor light I've had to shift to MF with the Pentax whereas the X-Pro is still pretty quick. I can live with either system after adjusting to its quirks. There ARE some tricks and working method changes I had to make before I was happy with the Fuji. Now, I'm happy, and can keep up with my toddler. The pentax poses a bit bigger challenge if you like to be in close and wide open as I do.

IQ: the K-01 images are fantastic. The fuji's are decadent--but its not a totally fair comparison as i have all 3 fujinons and only the "kit" 40xs for the pentax. That said I have a general "feel" after some shooting and pixel peeping. I have a sense the Fuji has sharper fine details and better micro contrast, and detail is maintained better at high ISO. Colors are different--I think both are viable and valid, but I give the nod to the Fuji overall which allows subtle, lovely, and genuinely useful shifts with the film simulations. The Fuji emphasizes blue and greens, the pentax is warmer ( more yellows and reds, maybe? i havent nailed this down yet). The fuji can struggle with red on occasion, one of the only negatives of that sensor IMO. I have been really impressed with the way the K-01 draws light, though; it has a lovely manner of recording the finest nuances of light and its interplay with your subject. I love that. Pentax has HDR, Fuji doesn't, Fuji has DR modes which take advantage of the high ISO capability (200-800 is essentially the same IQ on the Fuji), both approaches have validity and use, you may prefer one over the other.

The Fuji is a much bigger camera. It's thinner, but taller, longer, and of course with a lens much thicker (if you use the 40XS on the pentax). Until the Fuji pancake comes out, and only if paired with the smaller X-E1, the Pentax is actually pocketable whereas the X-Pro really isn't. That's a win for pentax. I'm honestly considering making the K-01 my daily camera, as its just so easy to carry, unassuming while shooting (its more disarming than the x-pro in my limited experience), always impresses with IQ, and I find the 40mm lens fantastic, to be honest.

I should mention movies: the K-01 does well, the Fuji really doesn't. In fact, I prefer the Q over the Fuji for movies. It's unfortunate, but there is a ton of artifacting in X-Pro movies.

Of course, the Fuji has a viewfinder, if you like that. I'm a viewfinder guy, but I've adapted to screens and shoot more like using my rolleiflex. That's viable for me. Some won't bend on the viewfinder thing.

One more thought: I'm a Leica shooter, but I have struggled a lot with the Fuji's viewfinder. Not the finder itself, which I like... But confirming focus. I miss quite a bit more with the optical finder, if you shoot as I do (in close, wide open) you should really use the evf. And in that case... The X-E1 looks like a mighty fine deal to me. I was an early adopter, so I pay the price (literally and figuratively!)

As I found with the Q, my first pentax, there's something great about these cameras in use. I've been shooting with the K-01 for the last few days and have really enjoyed it. I like both cameras. I'd love to try it with some other pentax lenses. I tried a few legacy lenses, but aside from a vivitar series 1 tele zoom which had good IQ but was too unwieldy, and an old Takumar 55/2 which was surprisingly good, I haven't tried any of the newer pentax stuff, and I should.

A bit of a ramble, but I hope it proves useful.
10-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not a rant and all, I've always wondered about those "little" fiji's. Many thanks
10-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

@ndjedinak > wow, thanks a lot for this detailed comparison, greatly appreciated!
10-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
I've been shooting with the K-01 for the last few days and have really enjoyed it. I'd love to try it with some other pentax lenses. I tried a few legacy lenses, but aside from a vivitar series 1 tele zoom which had good IQ but was too unwieldy, and an old Takumar 55/2 which was surprisingly good, I haven't tried any of the newer pentax stuff, and I should.

A bit of a ramble, but I hope it proves useful.
Great real life view, thanks for that.

Well if you think that the 40mm xs lens is fantastic then you can even get better lenses. I sold my copy since I already own the 40mm Ltd pancak wich is in some way better (it has a hood and deals better with flare and purple fringing to name), but I still hardly use that lens on my K-01 since I like to have a little more grip to my camera with a larger lens. I use mainly FA31mm, DA*55mm and FA*85mm lenses on K-01. With the FA*85mm it tends to get a little heavy and have some frontweight from the lens. My preference is with the FA31mm since it does seem to make it to handle to my likings in my hands (I handle the camera in my hands with my right thumb on the releasebutton and my left hand point and middle finger supporting the lens) and giving a nice angle for the things I do with the K-01. So I go on route with the K-01 only (and make a choice for one of the three lenses, just based upon what I'm expecting) or take it to join my K-5 and mostly take choices as K-5/DA*300 and K-01/FA*85 or K-5/FA*85 with K-01/FA31 or when I'm fully packed with all three camera's K-5/sigma70-200 and K-5/DA*300 and K-01/FA31 for sports.

The K-01 is faster in focussing and can make more out of it when the light is going down when working with a faster lens. Simply to say the sensor needs light to work on contrast-AF and it gets more with a fast f1.4 lens then with a f2.8 lens like your 40mm or even worse a f5.6 kitlens.

Enjoy your K-01!

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 10-06-2012 at 07:16 AM.