Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K01 or Q?

I'm debating on a K01 or a Q as my next camera. Thoughts? I like the K01 because it comes with the 40mm XS lens, and because I can use all my existing lenses... I like the Q because it's so small, and I have the possibility of some major fast telephoto shots using my existing fast lenses. But no focus peaking does hinder that somewhat.

So, pros/cons between the two?

Charles.

10-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

If focus peaking is important then consider choosing between the K-01 and the Q10, both of which have peaking.

The sensor in the K-01 is really amazing.
The sensor is the Q/Q10 is tiny.

If you don't have a great camera already, then get the K-01. The Q/Q10 is a fun second camera but not a primary camera unless your needs are particular and you already know that the Q/Q10 is for you.
10-10-2012, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I have a K-01 and handled the Q for some time. The great advantage for the Q is that it is small (I only liked the prime 01 lens). It is handy, makes great movieclips and has good image quality at base settings (iso 125 and f3.2 is amazing).

Q with the 01 prime

It has the advantage for being small. The small sensor has the advantage for delivering nice sharpness in a good DOF (yes some people say that is a negative, but your hits are greater due to the bigger DOF).

On the other hand the K-01 can deliver on images that can be amazing, but also not very different from a K-5. It is a smaller camera that will grow on to you. With fast primes it will be a lovely camera. It on the other hand does give you a lot of the smae that a K-5 can deliver (+ focus peaking, better moviemode and faster processing on the 12-bit raw).

With the K-01 and FA31mm:

So I had for 15 days both of these with me and I did grab the Q more often, because it could do something my K-5 couldn't. I still purchased the K-01 because it is yellow and I love it by now.
10-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

size matters!

Once you see the Q, how tiny it is & huge potential for telephoto and macro .. any other cam will feel like a monster!!
Image quality of the Q is impressive, I'd say in the range of 65 - 85% of an APSC cam, depending on shooting conditions ..
The kit 8.5mm lens is equally impressive & the built in leaf shutter works well for fill flash, also very sharp. It's a REALLY fun cam!!

K-01 is a funky cam with an awesome sensor, easy to see why Pentax now uses it exclusively for their APSC. For truly low light, it's the way to go and has at least a 2 stop improvement over the earlier samsung sensors they used. It's not the easiest cam to hold with one hand, save that for the Q. With two hand operation works out great. It's an excellent tripod & time exposure cam.
The 40XS lens is pretty cool, but the effective focal length is a lil long, something like a 21 would be a better choice imho.

I don't think I'd get either as a primary cam, you have to decide how or if either would complement your exisiting kit!

10-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K-01 and my wife has the Q. The Q is unbelievably tiny...but it still takes decent pictures. My wife enters pics from her Q in the competitions at our camera club. They get shown alongside pics from APS-C and FF cameras and there's no appreciable difference. However, that's using a digital projector. If they were comparing prints, there'd probably be a more noticeable difference. But my wife is just looking to record daily life and family events. She has no aspirations of going pro or selling her work. For her, the Q is perfect. I thought about getting one for myself, but opted for the K-01 instead. I was looking for an everyday camera that would be more convenient to carry than my DSLR, but which could do good video and would take my lenses. I was testing the sensor in the K-01 yesterday by taking pics in my office. I'm a video editor and the only light in here comes from a desk lamp on one side of the room and our monitors. It's pretty dark. But the K-01 handled it with ease. I was impressed. lol
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I have a K-x right now, and while I love it and have taken some amazing shots, the focus performance just isn't great. It *often* misses focus on easy targets. Mostly with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, but it will also often miss with the F35-70. It does best with the 50mm f1.7 and the 55-300 kit lens. I would eventually like to replace the Kx with a K30, but that's a little out of my price range at the moment, and the K01 comes with a lens I would really not mind owning.

On the other hand, the Q is really inexpensive right now, and I kinda have the feeling I'd keep it on me at all times. Ideally I'd buy all three cameras, but I'm not made of money :P

Charles.
10-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Well, I have a K-x right now, and while I love it and have taken some amazing shots, the focus performance just isn't great. It *often* misses focus on easy targets. Mostly with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, but it will also often miss with the F35-70. It does best with the 50mm f1.7 and the 55-300 kit lens. I would eventually like to replace the Kx with a K30, but that's a little out of my price range at the moment, and the K01 comes with a lens I would really not mind owning.

On the other hand, the Q is really inexpensive right now, and I kinda have the feeling I'd keep it on me at all times. Ideally I'd buy all three cameras, but I'm not made of money :P

Charles.
Reading this:

Sell the K-x and buy K-30, since that is your goal.

10-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honestly I don't know what I want. K30 would be nice, but it's too much money, and the Kx isn't worth much. $200 at most, body only. I'd rather give it to my girlfriend or use it as a backup. And I do kinda dig both the K01 and the Q. Argh, decisions... If the K01 worked with the GPS it'd be an easier decision...

Charles.
10-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If the K01 worked with the GPS it'd be an easier decision...
It does'nt work with the GPS? I had the O-GPS mounted yesterday and it showed up in the menu and I had the little tracking icon while shooting. I just got the K-01 so I have not unloaded any pics from it yet, but I sure hope there is GPS data in the EXIF.

On Q vs. K-01 I can tell you that I have both and from a "pick it up and shoot" standpoint the Q is much easier to carry in your jacket pocket. You still have to bring a bag for the K-01 IMO. The Q with the 01 standard prime has gotten off more shots during the last two months than my K-20D/K-5 for the portability reason alone. But from looking at the screen the IQ of the K-01 sure looks fantastic. My plan for the K-01 is to use it as a wide angle second body camera, well more or less I am going to bolt the DA 15 on it ;-)

If I was in your shoes, with a K-x (lovely little DSLR by the way) and a growing lens collection, then I would det the K-01 in a heartbeat. If you want a totally different mindset and shooting experience go for the Q. Oh, I tried the Sony RX100 vs. the Q and I still like the handling of the Q with all it's DSLR like controls a lot better but if you are going ultra portable with great IQ then maybe you should consider going out of the (Pentax) box.

Good luck choosing!
10-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had heard the star tracking capability wasn't supported yet, at least in the original k-01 bios version. That's the whole reason I would want the GPS.

Charles.
10-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had heard the star tracking capability wasn't supported yet, at least in the original k-01 bios version. That's the whole reason I would want the GPS.

Charles.
Ah I get it now :-). Alas no tracking on he new K-01 firmware