Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
D0n
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 530
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well that would be nice to have 4k video, but for that you need some pretty faster processor inside.
true.. a duo core version of the one in the k-01?
also I wonder if the new firmware opens up the possibility of live hdmi out while recording?

10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Miracles do happen! I guess better late than never.
On a seriously note, definite improvement in AF speed and lock with some of my lenses.
I was mentally prepared to ditch the camera had the long overdue firmware update not materialized.
10-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Site Supporter
nparsons13's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 218
Yes! They fixed the green button problem with screw-mount lenses--at least partially. I tested with a narrow-base Helios 44-2 to make sure no metal touched the contact pins. Pressing the green button doesn't set shutter speed; you still have to use the EV scale to do that. But at least the green button doesn't lock the exposure anymore!

Tried a quick focus test with the F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 that happened to be on the camera at the time I did the upgrade, and it seemed to be a little faster, but more testing needs to be done.
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newbury, England
Posts: 50
Although I've only had my K-01 for just over a week, as I've been trying out all my (cheaper) AF lenses, they really do seem quicker to focus and lock. I have no scienticif basis for this but I feel as though on the lenses where I could get a lock before, there may also be a slight improvement in accuracy as well.

Much appreciated for a newbie to the camera like me.

10-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
nparsons13's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 218
Oops! Let me correct my earlier post about the green button and screw mount lenses. The green button DOES set the exposure with the M42s. I erred because it does it silently, without the usual little click-click sound. The EV scale also appears on the LCD, and the EV (shutter speed) can be adjusted with the wheel, but to get back to 0 EV, just press the green button. It appears to do this with a variety of other screw mount lenses as well as the Helios I tried first.

Using screw and manual K mount lenses with focus peaking is one of the reasons I bought my K-01 in the first place. I've gotten used to using the EV scale with these lenses, but with this small fix Pentax has made the camera a lot more usable and enjoyable.
10-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
New Member
jimntonik's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 15
Very happy to see this update - I'm only using the Limited pancakes, so very little difference to me at the moment, but it's nice to see Pentax giving the K-01 some love.

Now, the question is how long until the reviews online reflect the firmware fixes? Even if performance is drastically improved, I worry that Pentax has squandered their publicity on the v1.0 which wasn't well received.
10-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Michi Joel's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Catalonia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 403
i'm very happy! ounch! monday i will actualize my k01!
10-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,401
QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
Oops! Let me correct my earlier post about the green button and screw mount lenses. The green button DOES set the exposure with the M42s. I erred because it does it silently, without the usual little click-click sound. The EV scale also appears on the LCD, and the EV (shutter speed) can be adjusted with the wheel, but to get back to 0 EV, just press the green button. It appears to do this with a variety of other screw mount lenses as well as the Helios I tried first.

Using screw and manual K mount lenses with focus peaking is one of the reasons I bought my K-01 in the first place. I've gotten used to using the EV scale with these lenses, but with this small fix Pentax has made the camera a lot more usable and enjoyable.
Thanks for testing it! The lack of a click-click is because the M42s don't have the K-mount's aperture lever to stop down the lens for metering.

I also enjoy using old glass, and the K-01 seems to encourage it. I've only had my K-01 for a few weeks, but I found Manual mode + Auto-ISO on the M42 lenses to be very convenient, since it would automatically give me a workable ISO and shutter speed even before playing with the EV scale. It was so convenient that I put some cellophane tape on the mount of my M 28/2.8 to make the camera think it was an M42.

10-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Pentaxian
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,931
On a slightly negative note, no increase in raw burst rate, no wireless flash support and no color options for focus peaking. Maybe next firmware?
10-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,931
Now tested my other lenses..

Da14 is even faster and more decisive.
Sigma17-70 also focus a lot better
The most impressive so far is the tamron 70-200. It feels like the af speed on a k-x!! I m very happy. Previously it is a tad slow....
10-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Now tested my other lenses..

Da14 is even faster and more decisive.
Sigma17-70 also focus a lot better
The most impressive so far is the tamron 70-200. It feels like the af speed on a k-x!! I m very happy. Previously it is a tad slow....
Under what conditions did you try the 70-200? I tested mine out and it finally focused (would hunt forever before), but it was still pretty slow. I tested mine out indoors. It's currently raining outside so I couldn't go there.
10-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,931
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Under what conditions did you try the 70-200? I tested mine out and it finally focused (would hunt forever before), but it was still pretty slow. I tested mine out indoors. It's currently raining outside so I couldn't go there.
I tested this indoor under compact fluorescent light. Focusing is a lot faster than before. I have not tested this outdoor but would anticipate that in even better light, the combo will perform even better.

I would say of all the pentax DSLRs I have (though I don't have that many), this firmware update represent the biggest improvement to the stock body. Kudos to Pentax.
10-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I tested this indoor under compact fluorescent light. Focusing is a lot faster than before. I have not tested this outdoor but would anticipate that in even better light, the combo will perform even better.

I would say of all the pentax DSLRs I have (though I don't have that many), this firmware update represent the biggest improvement to the stock body. Kudos to Pentax.
I boosted the iso up to 3200 and 6400 on some shots. It seemed to improve the focusing. Those pictures that are focusing aren't very sharp. I'm assuming that's because of the high iso.

This picture is with confirmed focus... doesn't look very focused to me.
Attached Images
 
10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
Pentaxian
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,931
Hmm....That doesn't seem to align with my own observations of the Tamron 70-200 in use with my K-01. I will post a proper test shot tomorrow using this combo but my test shots when i tried it on my K-01 earlier today shows that the focus is perfectly fine and the pictures sharp.
10-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hmm....That doesn't seem to align with my own observations of the Tamron 70-200 in use with my K-01. I will post a proper test shot tomorrow using this combo but my test shots when i tried it on my K-01 earlier today shows that the focus is perfectly fine and the pictures sharp.
I would really appreciate that. I really want these things to work well. I just barely started using the K-01 recently. I'm hoping it's my error and not the equipment.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
firmware, k-01, k-01 firmware, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, performance, stability
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 Firmware update fishnuts Pentax K-5 2 06-28-2011 04:57 AM
Firmware Update jwpinnacle Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 05-28-2011 02:16 AM
K5 firmware update rechmbrs Pentax K-5 41 03-10-2011 03:51 PM
Firmware update for K-x and K-7 elg Pentax News and Rumors 26 01-27-2011 01:44 PM
K-7 Firmware update? LDBennett Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 12-30-2010 04:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top