Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well that would be nice to have 4k video, but for that you need some pretty faster processor inside.
true.. a duo core version of the one in the k-01?
also I wonder if the new firmware opens up the possibility of live hdmi out while recording?

10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Miracles do happen! I guess better late than never.
On a seriously note, definite improvement in AF speed and lock with some of my lenses.
I was mentally prepared to ditch the camera had the long overdue firmware update not materialized.
10-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes! They fixed the green button problem with screw-mount lenses--at least partially. I tested with a narrow-base Helios 44-2 to make sure no metal touched the contact pins. Pressing the green button doesn't set shutter speed; you still have to use the EV scale to do that. But at least the green button doesn't lock the exposure anymore!

Tried a quick focus test with the F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 that happened to be on the camera at the time I did the upgrade, and it seemed to be a little faster, but more testing needs to be done.
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Forum Member

Although I've only had my K-01 for just over a week, as I've been trying out all my (cheaper) AF lenses, they really do seem quicker to focus and lock. I have no scienticif basis for this but I feel as though on the lenses where I could get a lock before, there may also be a slight improvement in accuracy as well.

Much appreciated for a newbie to the camera like me.

10-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #20

Oops! Let me correct my earlier post about the green button and screw mount lenses. The green button DOES set the exposure with the M42s. I erred because it does it silently, without the usual little click-click sound. The EV scale also appears on the LCD, and the EV (shutter speed) can be adjusted with the wheel, but to get back to 0 EV, just press the green button. It appears to do this with a variety of other screw mount lenses as well as the Helios I tried first.

Using screw and manual K mount lenses with focus peaking is one of the reasons I bought my K-01 in the first place. I've gotten used to using the EV scale with these lenses, but with this small fix Pentax has made the camera a lot more usable and enjoyable.
10-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #21

Very happy to see this update - I'm only using the Limited pancakes, so very little difference to me at the moment, but it's nice to see Pentax giving the K-01 some love.

Now, the question is how long until the reviews online reflect the firmware fixes? Even if performance is drastically improved, I worry that Pentax has squandered their publicity on the v1.0 which wasn't well received.
10-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i'm very happy! ounch! monday i will actualize my k01!

10-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
Oops! Let me correct my earlier post about the green button and screw mount lenses. The green button DOES set the exposure with the M42s. I erred because it does it silently, without the usual little click-click sound. The EV scale also appears on the LCD, and the EV (shutter speed) can be adjusted with the wheel, but to get back to 0 EV, just press the green button. It appears to do this with a variety of other screw mount lenses as well as the Helios I tried first.

Using screw and manual K mount lenses with focus peaking is one of the reasons I bought my K-01 in the first place. I've gotten used to using the EV scale with these lenses, but with this small fix Pentax has made the camera a lot more usable and enjoyable.
Thanks for testing it! The lack of a click-click is because the M42s don't have the K-mount's aperture lever to stop down the lens for metering.

I also enjoy using old glass, and the K-01 seems to encourage it. I've only had my K-01 for a few weeks, but I found Manual mode + Auto-ISO on the M42 lenses to be very convenient, since it would automatically give me a workable ISO and shutter speed even before playing with the EV scale. It was so convenient that I put some cellophane tape on the mount of my M 28/2.8 to make the camera think it was an M42.
10-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

On a slightly negative note, no increase in raw burst rate, no wireless flash support and no color options for focus peaking. Maybe next firmware?
10-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Now tested my other lenses..

Da14 is even faster and more decisive.
Sigma17-70 also focus a lot better
The most impressive so far is the tamron 70-200. It feels like the af speed on a k-x!! I m very happy. Previously it is a tad slow....
10-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Now tested my other lenses..

Da14 is even faster and more decisive.
Sigma17-70 also focus a lot better
The most impressive so far is the tamron 70-200. It feels like the af speed on a k-x!! I m very happy. Previously it is a tad slow....
Under what conditions did you try the 70-200? I tested mine out and it finally focused (would hunt forever before), but it was still pretty slow. I tested mine out indoors. It's currently raining outside so I couldn't go there.
10-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Under what conditions did you try the 70-200? I tested mine out and it finally focused (would hunt forever before), but it was still pretty slow. I tested mine out indoors. It's currently raining outside so I couldn't go there.
I tested this indoor under compact fluorescent light. Focusing is a lot faster than before. I have not tested this outdoor but would anticipate that in even better light, the combo will perform even better.

I would say of all the pentax DSLRs I have (though I don't have that many), this firmware update represent the biggest improvement to the stock body. Kudos to Pentax.
10-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I tested this indoor under compact fluorescent light. Focusing is a lot faster than before. I have not tested this outdoor but would anticipate that in even better light, the combo will perform even better.

I would say of all the pentax DSLRs I have (though I don't have that many), this firmware update represent the biggest improvement to the stock body. Kudos to Pentax.
I boosted the iso up to 3200 and 6400 on some shots. It seemed to improve the focusing. Those pictures that are focusing aren't very sharp. I'm assuming that's because of the high iso.

This picture is with confirmed focus... doesn't look very focused to me.
Attached Images

10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Hmm....That doesn't seem to align with my own observations of the Tamron 70-200 in use with my K-01. I will post a proper test shot tomorrow using this combo but my test shots when i tried it on my K-01 earlier today shows that the focus is perfectly fine and the pictures sharp.
10-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hmm....That doesn't seem to align with my own observations of the Tamron 70-200 in use with my K-01. I will post a proper test shot tomorrow using this combo but my test shots when i tried it on my K-01 earlier today shows that the focus is perfectly fine and the pictures sharp.
I would really appreciate that. I really want these things to work well. I just barely started using the K-01 recently. I'm hoping it's my error and not the equipment.