Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I have a feeling that the K-01 does not work too well with 3rd party zoom lenses in general. I tried the sigma 17-70 and while it does not have the same kind of issues experienced by the Tamron 70-200, certain shots are a tad out of focus too. Interestingly, i tried the DA18-135 with the K-01 and experienced none of the above issues.

I also tried out the DA35 Ltd macro extensively this morning....and i have to say, focusing speed in good light is at least 70% as fast as on my K-7 and/or K-30. I am very pleased. Previously it will hunt back and forth before locking focus. It is now a lot faster.

Now if Pentax can make this kind of improvement to K-01 CDAF, I would like to think that the K-5IIs will be awesome.
It works really well with the Tamron 28-75; however, it does seem to work better with Pentax lenses. Let's hope that another firmware update is in the works. It would be amazing to be able to use the k-01 with the 70-200. Unfortunately, something tells me this might be it for the K-01, as far as firmware updates go, but let's hope I'm wrong about that.

10-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am finding that using the Tamron 70-200 with the K-01 is no easy task as you will need to hand hold the heavy lens at a distance such that u can look at the LCD screen comfortably....so I guess unless the lens is mounted on a tripod, whether K-01 actually support the 70-200 is becoming secondary to me personally.

But I agree with u that it will be good if the next firmware update at least bring better support to other 3rd party lenses. I would like to see better performance of my Sigma 17-70 although I don't usually shoot with that lens with the K-01.

I am also hoping there will be at least 1 more firmware update that allows the focus peaking to be in yellow/red colour.
10-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I am finding that using the Tamron 70-200 with the K-01 is no easy task as you will need to hand hold the heavy lens at a distance such that u can look at the LCD screen comfortably....so I guess unless the lens is mounted on a tripod, whether K-01 actually support the 70-200 is becoming secondary to me personally.
Hi raider, i just wondering, how difficult it is to hold the 70-200 lens with the K-01? I've been looking for some photos of the K-01 with a 70-200 lens but i couldnt find one. Im thinking to buy the K-01 but I dont think it is suitable for a heavy lens like the 70-200. can you please tell me more about it? Thanks.
10-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #49
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by basikal_kusayang Quote
i just wondering, how difficult it is to hold the 70-200 lens with the K-01? I've been looking for some photos of the K-01 with a 70-200 lens but i couldnt find one. Im thinking to buy the K-01 but I dont think it is suitable for a heavy lens like the 70-200. can you please tell me more about it? Thanks
Mind if I give that question a try... My second most commonly used lens is considerably larger and heavier than the 70-200; the Pentax 60-250mm f4.0. It's also my most frequently used non DFA lens. I've had little problems using the lens for very extended periods - mostly hand-held. At the wider 60 range I'm typicaly able to brace hand-hold to well below 1/30. At the more telephoto ranges I'm also still able to hanhold at a focal length of 250mm yet down below 1/100th.

But then again, I'm one of those people that also ue the K-01 with something such as a Sigma 300mm, or perhaps an ole fashioned mirror lens.

10-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #50
Veteran Member

@medium formatpro: not all all. Go for it mate

@basikal: I guess if you have strong hands, there should be no problems to hand hold the 70-200 with the K-01. I find this a bit tough to say the least
10-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #51

Thanks Medium FormatPro and raider
10-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I was curious about how the firmware upgrade affected the K-01's autofocus with the da 55-300. It is a lot faster. I was really impressed with how it focused. I just took it outside and took a few pictures of the lone flower in my backyard, here's how it looks: First image is with no post processing (only resizing) and the second one obviously has some post processing. I think it looks pretty good. Shot f8; ISO 100; 260mm.

Attached Images

Last edited by reivax; 10-13-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: I apparently can't spell the word "here".
10-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This must be a really stupid question, but:
With my Mac Air, I put the card in a reader in the USB slot. I open the card file and the update file, and I can copy the firmware file but not paste it onto the card, and it will not drag either. The formatted card just has one directory, so I assume it is the "root."

They say you can download directly into the camera but do not give instructions for that...

David
10-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I understand, the website says to use a SDHD32 card, and I have a 16... The instructions did not mention that.
10-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #55
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
This must be a really stupid question, but:
With my Mac Air, I put the card in a reader in the USB slot. I open the card file and the update file, and I can copy the firmware file but not paste it onto the card, and it will not drag either. The formatted card just has one directory, so I assume it is the "root."

They say you can download directly into the camera but do not give instructions for that...

David
I have a MacBook Air as well, but I didn't try inserting the SD card directly into the computer's slot. I'm not sure why that wouldn't work. I attached the camera using the supplied USB cable. So the procedure was:

- format the card in the camera (after ensuring you've copied any pictures on it)
- download the mac version of the update (it creates a folder called K01E101M, which includes a file called FWDC214B.BIN)
- attach the camera with the USB cable (it will appear as K-01 on your desktop and in the Finder)
- quit iPhoto if it opens automatically
- drag the file FWDC214B.BIN into the top level of the SD card (not in the DCIM folder)
- eject the camera/SD card from the computer properly
- then follow the procedure in the readme.txt to update the camera

If you have a 16gb card, it is large enough to use. Mine was 8gb. Good luck!
10-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, JPT, got it done. I was not simply dropping the file onto the icon before. Worked like a charm, now to take photos! Dave
10-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I understand, the website says to use a SDHD32 card, and I have a 16... The instructions did not mention that.
The website says to use a card of at least 32 MB (megabytes, not gigabytes). A couple folks have misread this - it's been so long since SD cards were measured only in MB... (a 32 MB card would hold four shots - but only if you shot JPEG!)
10-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes,I made that mistake... Now, after doing the update, and checking to see it was installed, the 40XS does not focus. The camera makes noise, but there's no focusing. I will try with the 21mm to see if that's consistent. I hope not!
10-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes,I made that mistake... Now, after doing the update, and checking to see it was installed, the 40XS does not focus. The camera makes noise, but there's no focusing. I will try with the 21mm to see if that's consistent. I hope not!
I seem to remember someone else having this issue with the 40 XS lens (unrelated to firmware) and it ended up being that they hadn't fully mounted the lens... it had not been turned quite all the way until it clicked. So maybe just try again putting it on again. This is actually very easy to happen as the lens does not afford much room to grip when mounting and removing.

Hope maybe this helps.
10-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #60
Banned

Well there are still some corrupted files. I made load's of pictures yesterday, all in dng and had a handfull off corrupted files. Not to many to worry, and maybe because I used the K-01 for about 7 hours and it was warm inside up to 40 degrees of celsius.