Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery
I see. So it changes aperture when minimum ISO and maximum shutter speed 1/4000 is still too bright? In ithat case I agree that this is not an issue and is not a bug.

But what about less extreme situation? I have a feeling that even when maximum aperture (wide open), minimum ISO and maximum shutter will not result in overexposure, the K-01 still changes aperture, and this is what that reviewer called a bug. But please prove me wrong (and prove that that reviewer is a fool).

Anyway, I had NEX-5 and used it with some Pentax lenses. Since NEX can't control the lens, the focus peaking is always showing the correct DOF, but the drawback is the LCD can become dark and or grainy (more grainy than the resulting photo). Now I think about it, I'm not sure which one I prefer, NEX way or K-01 (without bug).

10-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can only say I haven't had any problem manual-focusing A lenses outdoors @ f/5.6 or f/8, even before the firmware update.
10-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

After some thought, I'll add: It sounds like the reviewer was trying to force the camera to behave the way they expected and ignore that it had A-capable lenses, rather than adapt to the camera's design features. Maybe they weren't familiar with Pentax dSLRs. If someone really wanted to "dumb down" a K-01 with PKA lenses so that it behaved like an NEX, they could put tape over the lens' 'A' contact points. Personally, I'd rather use Av mode.
10-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
I see. So it changes aperture when minimum ISO and maximum shutter speed 1/4000 is still too bright? In ithat case I agree that this is not an issue and is not a bug. But what about less extreme situation? I have a feeling that even when maximum aperture (wide open), minimum ISO and maximum shutter will not result in overexposure, the K-01 still changes aperture, and this is what that reviewer called a bug. But please prove me wrong (and prove that that reviewer is a fool).
The camera is constantly in live view. It isn't actually doing a 1/4000 shutter because its in video mode. That means it is constantly exposed to light and it might cause heating issues or permanent damage to the sensor if the aperture is fully open for extended periods of time in bright sunlight. I am sure that in some conditions that can be a problem, but those conditions are very rare. In most situations, however, this behaviour saves your camera. Can it be optimized further? Sure, maybe, only Pentax knows the details.

11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #80
Pentaxian

It might make sense to revive this thread considering the new price of the K-01. I've been considering selling my backup point-and-shoot and getting an inexpensive used Pentax body to use as a backup/2nd camera. Here's my question about the aperture in manual focus lenses:

My experience with the mechanics of lenses with an aperture ring is this: Whatever the aperture is set to is the smallest size that the camera can set the aperture to by moving the aperture lever. For example, if my K 50 f/1.2 is on the camera, and I set the aperture to f/5.6, the aperture level can open the lens all the way up to f/1.2, but it is not possible to close the aperture beyond f/5.6. This is why the A setting of a lens with an aperture ring is the minimum (highest number) aperture. It gives the camera the freedom to use the entire f-stop range of the lens.

With this in mind, how in the world could the K-01 close the aperture of a lens with an aperture ring beyond the f-stop that the lens is set to?
11-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
With this in mind, how in the world could the K-01 close the aperture of a lens with an aperture ring beyond the f-stop that the lens is set to?
I don't know if anybody expects this -- I think the concern is when using KA lenses or newer autofocus lenses (aperture set to 'A') that in brighter light the camera is automatically stopping down the lens for live view (even smaller than shooting aperture) such that focusing is performed stopped down instead of wide open where focus point can be most easily distinguished.

Things I want to try -- is this true only in manual focus mode or in bright light does AF occur with lens stopped down? Does use of optical preview provide any help in this area?
11-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #82
Pentaxian

lol I think you guys are overdoing it. This is such a minor thing, you will probably never notice it unless you are trying to do some bokeh f1.4 shots in bright sunlight in a situation where you cannot redo a shot. Its a defense mechanism of the camera. My fear is actually the other way - for example if I have a preset lens (or a lens where the camera has no control over the aperture) wide open in very bright light. But I have never had the temperature icon appear on my K-01, even when shooting for a long time in the summer heat. I have had it appear on my K-r before, though, when using live view for a longer duration.
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
lol I think you guys are overdoing it. This is such a minor thing
I have no idea of the real danger of sunlight damaging the camera, nor has my experience using manual focus lenses been so positive on the K-01 that I'm anxious to do any more manual focusing than necessary. For me it's a matter of technical curiosity, and wondering how much it might affect AF accuracy as well. I've noticed the aperture chattering away while moving the camera around. It's actually made me wish sometimes that the camera would go to sleep sooner.

11-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Why does the aperture chattering bother you so much? Pentax cameras have always been noisy, the SR clanking, the live view buzzing, the AF motors.. The K-01 at least has a silent shutter and live view Not that this is an excuse, I agree that the more silent the better, but its not a big deal to me. I doubt Pentax will explain the inner workings of the K-01, especially since it appears there will never be a K-02.
Also, I turn off my camera as soon as I am done using it. That way you prevent overheating and stuff.
11-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Why does it bother you that it bothers me? Anyway, it doesn't bother me when I'm actively using it, I'd just rather it quieted down and LCD was off shortly after I lower it while carrying. And it's not just the noise itself but the thought that it's pointlessly using power and adding wear to mechanical components.

I'm just spoiled by SLRs (especially ones with top-panel LCD where the rear LCD isn't needed for shooting info) that are so well behaved that you really only need to turn them off when storing in a bag. I should just get used to the idea of turning K-01 off. At least (unlike Q) it has a nice big & positive on/off switch.

Why so certain there will be no K-01 successor? How many people were sure Q would be one-and-done? I think it would be a shame if Pentax didn't further develop this concept. I'm hoping they release an XS zoom that is semi-recessed in the mirror box.
11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #86
Pentaxian

So, it sounds like the answer to my question is that it only does it when the lens has an A mode and is set to A mode. An M or K series or equivalent will not ever have this happen.
11-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Why does it bother you that it bothers me?
Because the posts on this topic make an impression as if this is a terrible scourge on these cameras, when in fact it isn't. But curiosity is good, I'd also like Pentax to explain in detail how many of the features work. We'll never get that though
03-13-2013, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member

I bought a K-01 yesterday at the low price of $299 for the body and I was wondering why the aperture blades were being opened and closed all the time even in Av mode but this thread has answered this question, being that it is done to protect the sensor. I found this was affecting my ability to accurately manual focus on wide aperture settings but have since assigned the GREEN BUTTON to DOF preview, which forces the camera to set the aperture to your choice, thus allowing more accurate Focus Peaking. The Focus Peaking is also aided by using the OK button in SINGLE AF point mode as hitting that button will zoom into the screen and allow closer inspection. I'm still discovering this camera and reading the manual but am enjoying the ride so far.