Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, first I tried taking off and remounting the 40 XS--twice--and that did not work. Then I put on the 21mm, worked perfectly--better even. Then I remounted the 40 XS and it worked as well. Problem solved! I might not have had it fully engaged before, I don't know... David

10-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #62
Inactive Account

Firmware Update Boosts Performance

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus: the new firmware version substantially improves camera performance. For instance, focus is quite snappy now with the 18-55mm kit lens (with version 1.0, focusing with this lens was noticeably balky). It is quite an improvement, a real step up from the "live view" implementations of most dslrs. It feels on par with the performance of current generation, high-end point-and-shoot cameras. Kudos to Pentax.

Mike
10-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #63

I think I got it right? I dragged the BIN file on to the SD card, then went to firmware options & uploaded it. My camera is now showing firmware 1.1
Without sounding overly stupid, Is this a successful upload? I didnt unplug the camera from the computer when I uploaded it.
10-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is working and showing FW 1.1, it sure sounds like a successful update. Congratulations!

10-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #65
Forum Member

Yup, I tried to do the download to the card and no luck, so I know what the screen looks like when the process fails. Finally hooked up camera to computer, and it worked. And it is a very welcome improvement--my Bumblebee is snappy with the 55-300 and even with my Tamron 90mm macro, and the shake reduction was good enough for 1/20th of a sec with the Tamron handheld.
10-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #66

I'm wondering about this bug mentioned in DPReviews forum when K-01 just came out, has it been fixed with the new firmware?
It's hard to explain the bug so I'll just copy paste it here:

QuoteQuote:
What about the wandering of aperture blades during manual focusing in sunlight?
It's the greatest negative point for Sean Reid in is - as usual - very fine in deep and positive review of the K0-1, now online (Subscribers only).
QuoteQuote:
Sean explain that aperture settings constantly vary in manual focus mode with KA lenses in response to subject lighting changes. Reliable manual focusing despite a good focus peaking is nearly impossible if the lens aperture choosen by the KO-1 is say f/5,6 or F/8 (hight light situations). FP is only usable in low light situations, when the lens is wide open and DOF is narrow.
QuoteQuote:
Sean speak of KA lenses, i suppose in A setting. In autofocusing mode, focus is lock at the maximum aperture, so a firmware update will solve this problem, Sean say.

Their is the same problem with Ricoh GXR, Fuji X100 and XPro...
Complete thread here

To be honest I don't completely understand what the guy said and I don't have access to that review by Sean Reid. But since he said Ricoh GXR and Fuji cameras also have the same problem I assume the problem is real.
10-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #67
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
I'm wondering about this bug mentioned in DPReviews forum when K-01 just came out, has it been fixed with the new firmware?
It's hard to explain the bug so I'll just copy paste it here:

To be honest I don't completely understand what the guy said and I don't have access to that review by Sean Reid. But since he said Ricoh GXR and Fuji cameras also have the same problem I assume the problem is real.
I tried out an old manual focus Pentax Takumar 28-80 lens on my K-01 this morning. It's not a great lens (the later AF 28-80 is much better).

I could find no significant issues with Manually focussing using Focus Peaking at a variety of Aperture settings. I did notice that in some circumstances the aperture blades do open/close BEFORE depressing the shutter,but I believe this is by design - not a bug. In Av mode and whether or not the camera is being manually or automatically focussed, when the sensor detects a significant change in exposure for example by moving the camera view from a dark to a light area, the aperture blades appear to close as part of the re-setting of the shutter speed (although I'm not sure why they don't close all the way to the set F stop). Personally however I found this has little effect on focus peaking and to be honest - if you are moving the camera around you may need to re-focus anyway.

Since the Firmware update, my only remaining concerns about this otherwise fantastic camera are:

Incompatibility with my Sigma EF530 DG ST Flash (for Pentax P-TTL cameras). I really don't want to have to buy another flash that I won't use very often anyway.
Difficulty in viewing Liveview screen when pointing TOWARDS the sun (but this can be significantly reduced as a problem by increasing display brigtness and ensuring I wear a dark shirt or coat when taking photos!)

10-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #68

Not trying to be rude, but I don't think you understand the bug, and honestly I also have problem understanding it with only that available information.
But assuming I understand it correctly, let me give an example.

Let's say I'm using K-01 with FA 43 1.9 Limited.in Aperture Priority (Av) mode and have selected F 3.2 .

When using AF:
Before shutter is pressed and during focusing, camera keeps the lens wide open at F1.9 . So the DOF that you see is the DOF of F 1.9 . The aperture only changed to F3.2 after the shutter is pressed. DOF of F3.2 is wider than F1.9 so this is not a problem.

When using MF:
Before shutter is pressed, according to that guy, K-01 will not keep the lens wide open, but will change aperture according to the available light. When it's very bright it will chose small aperture, say F8 even though the selected aperture is F3.2 . Of course when the shutter is pressed the aperture will then be changed to F3.2 . Only when the light is low then K-01 will keep the lens wide open before shutter is pressed.

But at F8 the DOF is much wider than F3.2, and more things will be in focus shown by Focus Peaking. When the shutter is pressed, aperture is back to F3.2 and the DOF also smaller/thinner. So it is very likely the actual object we want to be in focus, and is shown in focus by Focus Peaking at F8, might not in focus in the resulting image because it's only has a DOF of F3.2

I think this is the bug. When using AF, K-01 is able to keep aperture wide open and change shutter or ISO to compensate for the light level, but when using MF it fails to do so.

I don't have K-01 and I don't know how severe this bug is in real use. But I'm curious and actually contemplating to buy a K-01 so I'm hoping someone could confirm this bug and its existence with the new firmware? Thanks.
10-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
Before shutter is pressed and during focusing, camera keeps the lens wide open at F1.9
Um, I don't think that is necessarily true. I think the K-01 changes apertures when in standby according to light conditions in such a way that it can use lowest iso for live view. The DoF in focus peaking is not accurate. Its not really a bug that the camera uses f8 in very bright sunlight (to protect the sensor, if nothing else), but its side effect is that the DoF might be different from the final photo. This means you can manually focus at f8 in bright light, but then when you take the shot you have it set to f5.6 (to freeze action or to make an overexposed photo) and you notice the focusing is off. (because at f8 the DoF was so much bigger than it is in the final photo)
Now, a 'fix' could be to allow changes to this behaviour in the menu, or to have something like "focus lock also locks aperture blades" or to set the camera such that in aperture-priority modes it shows the actual selected aperture or faster (unless dangerous to camera).

The thing is, you shouldn't point a DSLR at the sun and shoot wide open - you will damage your camera (and eyes through OVF). But the K-01 doesn't have a mirror to protect the sensor while metering, so in effect it is always 'exposed'
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #70
Pentaxian

For focus peaking with an A lens,
does it help if you manually set a wide aperture with the aperture ring?
10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
For focus peaking with an A lens,
does it help if you manually set a wide aperture with the aperture ring?
It shouldn't make a difference - for any K-mount lens, the camera holds the aperture wide open for focusing (with the exception in manual mode discussed above), then (if it is an A-series or later) stops down to shoot. K- and M- lenses don't stop down, because they don't have the A- contacts to tell the camera what their range of apertures is.
10-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It shouldn't make a difference - for any K-mount lens, the camera holds the aperture wide open for focusing (with the exception in manual mode discussed above).
That's what I'm asking about.

Will setting a wide aperture manually on the aperture ring
prevent the camera overriding to a very narrow aperture via the "A" setting
where focus peaking becomes inaccurate?
10-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That's what I'm asking about. Will setting a wide aperture manually on the aperture ring prevent the camera overriding to a very narrow aperture via the "A" setting where focus peaking becomes inaccurate?
That would be a very interesting test lol
Btw, the peaking is still accurate, its just that its DoF is not always correct and this can be misleading.
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
That would be a very interesting test lol
Btw, the peaking is still accurate, its just that its DoF is not always correct and this can be misleading.
I just tried it with my K-01.01 with a A35/2, and apparently, the answer is yes, it will override.

Seriously, though, if you are working in light so bright that the camera squints at it (I had to point it directly at a 150W light to get it to stop down), will you even be able to SEE the screen well enough to manual focus that accurately? I just don't see this 'bug' coming up in real use.
10-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I think one idea here is that focus peaking might be considered an aid that can help somewhat when LCD viewing conditions are borderline, already somewhat compromised. You may still be able to see it when it has become harder to distinguish subject contrast visually.

Thoog may be right though -- if it's so bright camera wants to stop down for live view, perhaps opening aperture back up may result in blown out viewfinder image?