Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just got my K01

Just got my k01 after a very long 12 day wait from Adorama. Now here's my question, what do I look for? what should I test it on to make sure that I don't have a lemon.
I already did a shutter count test and so far I got 2 counts, for some reason I shot the first one with jpeg and the count did not register, so I did another one with raw.

Thanks guys.

10-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First do update the firmware:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/201724-k-01-firmware-update-1-01-a.html

I have a K-01 and I found the AF is more accurate with the new firmware.

Next charge fully your battery. And get a good quaity card. (There is nothing worth than to loose some shots because of a sub-par card.)

Then setup your camera settings. I like to use center focus point for example.

And then ... enjoy your camera and shoot ....

Comment: the best technique to check the shutter count is to check the EXIF data (eg using Photome) of your files.
10-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
what should I test it on to make sure that I don't have a lemon.

Well..................................make sure its not yellow?
10-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
First do update the firmware:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/201724-k-01-firmware-update-1-01-a.html

I have a K-01 and I found the AF is more accurate with the new firmware.

Next charge fully your battery. And get a good quaity card. (There is nothing worth than to loose some shots because of a sub-par card.)

Then setup your camera settings. I like to use center focus point for example.

And then ... enjoy your camera and shoot ....

Comment: the best technique to check the shutter count is to check the EXIF data (eg using Photome) of your files.
Thanks,

Right now the k01's main battery and spare is plugged and is on charge mode so I used my k7's, and yes I do believe that I have a good card (Sandisk extreme 45MB/s*)
Also done with set-up, changed the green-button, but I wish I can change the AE-L or the red button to act like the green, because the green is just way too far.
Spot metering, Focus peaking, center focus, check, check, check, there's so much to change lol.
It took me about 15 - 20 mins to be happy with my set-up. But what I'm really very happy is the high ISO capabilities. I can shoot over 1600 again and get awesome results! The 40xs is sharp wide open, no complains with that (: it also works well with my A and M lenses so I think I'm good so far.
Will do the firmware tomorrow, so far I'm happy with my Tamron 28-75 2.8's performance (AF wise) anyway. (and my K01 won't be needing to use AF so I think it'll be fine )

And yes i made sure it's not yellow.

10-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got my k01 after a very long 12 day wait from Adorama. Now here's my question, what do I look for?
Eh, you should look for EVF.
10-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Eh, you should look for EVF.
hahah I wish! I'm hoping the next generation K01 would have it though.
10-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats Kaiserz. I am sure the camera will bring u lots of joy. It is really a fun camera to use.

10-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Congrats Kaiserz. I am sure the camera will bring u lots of joy. It is really a fun camera to use.
Thank you sir (:
10-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unlikely you have a Lemon.

Here are Adam's Recommended Settings from the original review. I started with these and worked my way forward.
10-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here are Adam's Recommended Settings from the original review. I started with these and worked my way forward.

Yes sir I believe I do have an awesome camera and not a lemon, did some testing and stuff and I'm very happy. I also did change a lot of stuff last night and I've pretty much changed everything that's covered on Adam's recommended settings, wish that I found this last night though cause it took me a while to mess with the settings hehe. One thing that I didn't change was the "Expanded sensitivity setting" would it change the IQ if I do that? Case I don't really think I would be shooting over 6400 anyways.

Thank you
10-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats on the purchase!

One thing that I didn't change was the "Expanded sensitivity setting" would it change the IQ if I do that? Case I don't really think I would be shooting over 6400 anyways.
As long as ISO 100 is available, its good
In most photo modes you can choose ISO or ISO range anyway, so you limit the max ISO you will allow it to go. But you are right, in most situations going beyond 6400 will not be any good. Be sure to try some manual focus with peaking! That's one of my favourite parts of the K-01!
10-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Congrats on the purchase!

As long as ISO 100 is available, its good
In most photo modes you can choose ISO or ISO range anyway, so you limit the max ISO you will allow it to go. But you are right, in most situations going beyond 6400 will not be any good. Be sure to try some manual focus with peaking! That's one of my favourite parts of the K-01!
Ohh yes! I love peaking! Now I get to use my M set with ease (:!
10-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Forum Member

This may sound a bit lame but have you tried the in camera filters on your jpegs? I bought and sold this camera earlier in the year without ever even giving them a go and now that I have the camera once again, I'm really finding they can be quite nice for some subjects.
10-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sworks Quote
This may sound a bit lame but have you tried the in camera filters on your jpegs? I bought and sold this camera earlier in the year without ever even giving them a go and now that I have the camera once again, I'm really finding they can be quite nice for some subjects.

I'll make sure to mess with them (: thank you for reminding me that they are there XD