Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did I already mention I think Pentax should make their future mirrorless cameras in E mount, and throw in an adapter that has everything but an AF-screw linkage? They should update their focus peaking to be more like Sony's. I think in terms of enthusiasts who buy mirrorless, the ones who demand AF with SLR lenses and are willing to pay the size penalty are a far smaller niche than the ones who want to use focus peaking on legacy glass.

Pentax could become to Sony what Panasonic is to Olympus on the M4T platform. They could release some much needed new E mount lenses, and provide better image processing than Sony (Sony colors aren't as good and they overdo noise reduction IMO).

10-18-2012, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Traditional Quote
Couldn't Pentax start all over producing mirror less cameras, and name the first one in the new line called something like "Pentax ML 1", where "ML" is short for Mirror Less?
and a new Full Frame camera Pentax MR 1 where MR stands for Mirror Rich!
10-18-2012, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
and a new Full Frame camera Pentax MR 1 where MR stands for Mirror Rich!
The digital version, MR D, wouldn't sell too well in France!
10-18-2012, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I think Pentax should make their future mirrorless cameras in E mount
And a full frame using the Nikon mount. And a 645D using.. I dunno, Hasselblad mount
And instead of Pentax it should just say "N1kon" [/sarcasm]

10-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm probably going to snag one next payday, if the price remains low. I also will probably snag a Q too, if they're still around by the following paycheck

Price on both of these is too good to pass up... but then, for the cost of both I could get a K30... but as I find myself leaving the house today, I'm leaving the camera at home, because I have no space in my laptop bag for it, and can't afford to carry a second bag at this tech conference. So, there is some need for a smaller camera for me

Charles.
10-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

For all the criticism of the K-01 for being "too big", it's just enough smaller than a dSLR, with all the bumps and bulges, that it can ride along in my work bag, fit in a jacket pocket, or replace one lens that I didn't really need in my small camera bag (that lens probably ends up in a pocket, of course).

<old guy mode on>I used to be able to go on a trip with two film bodies, two or three primes, and a shorty zoom in my small bag, and that was all I needed! Walking ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways, living on cold gruel, grateful for what I had, etc. etc. etc.<old guy mode off>
10-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
And a full frame using the Nikon mount. And a 645D using.. I dunno, Hasselblad mount
I wasn't going to go quite that far, but I think a Pentax/Sony - Panasonic/Olympus analogy is backwards - Oly is the optics company, Panasonic is the electronics giant that can achieve economies of scale. Sony already absorbed Minolta and owns a chunk of Olympus - they don't need Pentax. So far as making lenses to fill gaps in the Sony line goes, Sigma and Tamron and the other 3rd-party lens makers are already doing that, so there really isn't anything for Pentax to do there (except cease to exist)

Besides, making products for someone else's line goes completely against Pentax's stubborn philosophy of doing their own thing, at their own pace.
10-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Pentax could become to Sony what Panasonic is to Olympus on the M4T platform. They could release some much needed new E mount lenses, and provide better image processing than Sony (Sony colors aren't as good and they overdo noise reduction IMO).
Well that boat has sailed. I think that instead of making the Q, joining in on M4T platform with PanOly would be the better idea, but that was backthen and not now anymore.

10-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I wasn't going to go quite that far, but I think a Pentax/Sony - Panasonic/Olympus analogy is backwards - Oly is the optics company, Panasonic is the electronics giant that can achieve economies of scale. Sony already absorbed Minolta and owns a chunk of Olympus - they don't need Pentax. So far as making lenses to fill gaps in the Sony line goes, Sigma and Tamron and the other 3rd-party lens makers are already doing that, so there really isn't anything for Pentax to do there (except cease to exist)

Besides, making products for someone else's line goes completely against Pentax's stubborn philosophy of doing their own thing, at their own pace.
They made a good effort some time back though. Pentax/Samsung was a correct combination. Optics company married to a giant electronics company. Still a pity it didn't work out. I still have a D-Xenon 18-55 that I keep around as an oddity.

I completely missed why they stopped cooperation though. Can anybody fill me in?
10-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Pentax, please discontinue K-0x series... Please produce K-mount module for Ricoh GXR and please introduce new GXR body compatible with existing modules. Dear Pentax, please don't over-diversify and fragment your R&D and your marketing. Please get back to be the company producing excellent value gear with top notch engineering and not colorful designer toys...

IMHO.
10-18-2012, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Umm, no. I'd much rather have a K-0x than a GXR. The GXR has less than zero interest for me. If you gave me one I'd turn around and ebay it without even opening the box. A K-01 I'll actually use and enjoy, and I will likely get one next paycheck

Charles.
10-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #42
Forum Member

Please do excellent work, Pentax and Ricoh..!

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Pentax, please discontinue K-0x series... Please produce K-mount module for Ricoh GXR and please introduce new GXR body compatible with existing modules. Dear Pentax, please don't over-diversify and fragment your R&D and your marketing. Please get back to be the company producing excellent value gear with top notch engineering and not colorful designer toys...

IMHO.
Forgive me for being utterly cheerful, but I sincerely hope that Pentax, and Ricoh, will do excellent, what ever they do!
10-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #43
D0n
Banned

dear pentax/ricoh.....
take this camera.... steal as many ideas as you can from it (you don't need the mic and handle on top, we d-slr shooters are used to using separate recorders) including the form factor... I've used the vg 20 it is front heavy with the sony lenses, but would be awesome with the k-mount primes...

Sony announces NEX-VG30 and full-frame NEX-VG900 Handycams, we go hands-on -- Engadget

notice the vg 30 has a power zoom? aren't there pentax lenses out there with power zoom?

just a tip for your next k-0xxx experiment...
;0)
10-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
They made a good effort some time back though. Pentax/Samsung was a correct combination. Optics company married to a giant electronics company. Still a pity it didn't work out. I still have a D-Xenon 18-55 that I keep around as an oddity.

I completely missed why they stopped cooperation though. Can anybody fill me in?
I've got a one of the Samsung/Schneider/Pentax/Tokina D-Xenon 10-17 fisheyes.

The things I observed: There were stories that the Pentax-Samsung relationship was rather cool, Pentax switched to Sony sensors, Samsung came out with their own ILC system afterwards. Maybe Samsung wasn't happy not being in the driver's seat, design-wise, or perhaps they grew frustrated with Hoya's lack of interest in cameras.
10-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #45
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote

IMHO.
I'm afraid it's unreal...Ricoh said officially that it's unacceptable module. There are engineering complications to produce such unit...

Without AF - it will be marginal product. With AF - it's useless.