Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But imagine a metal-with-leather scheme K-02 with improved button placement and a couple of tiny XS primes - 21mm, 40mm, 70mm, maybe two XS zooms.. and improved technology, of course (AF, sensor, screen, functions).. This could get a cult following.

01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You forgot Full-Frame. If you are going to dream, dream big!
01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #63
Veteran Member

lol sure, I would be ready to sacrifice SR on a tiny mirrorless for a bigger sensor. With optional digital SR in video.
01-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty sure as far as IQ performance is concerned, the K-01 has most of the other MILCs beaten rather soundly.

AF is slow, and hunts in low light. That's the only performance that's lagging. Everything else is top notch.

Charles.

01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
[...] So it lost on size against Compact MILCs and performance agaist DSLRs. [...]
I see it completely the other way around. The K-01 wins on IQ over just about all MILCs and wins on size over DSLRs. (Since I mostly don't need lightning auto focus, for me performance pretty much comes down to IQ.)

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-23-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: verb tense adjustment
01-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #66

Faster AF, higher burst speed, better button placement, 21mm XS kit lens, articulating display.

Focus peaking during video recording. Rolling shutter mitigation of some sort.

An EVF is probably necessary so more people will buy it, but make it optional, 'cause I don't want to pay for it.

An electronic shutter would be nice, if it could be done without hurting IQ.

Wouldn't mind if they made it lighter, it's far more durable than I need anyway.
01-24-2013, 12:15 AM - 3 Likes   #67
Forum Member

Love to have a K-02 with a weather-sealed body

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I want a K-02! I'm not picky because I know that whatever they will put in it will be good anyway.
The only thing that I might prefer is a weatherproof body and rubber seal for the lenses ON THE K-mount!!

So, Pentax, please keep the K-0X line and improve on it!!!
Oh and expand the XS lens series!!!
Yes, a Pentax K-02 with a weather-sealed body, and overall more weather-sealed lenses, all for the k-mount, would be nice. Very nice indeed.

01-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #68
Veteran Member

As long as they continue to make a non-weather-sealed version. I don't need to pay for something i'll likely never use.

Charles
01-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #69
Forum Member

I want a K02 mirrorless with FF sensor, and I don't need weather resistant.
01-24-2013, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

An immodest proposal: the KW-# series. Basically a K-01 body, except with ergonomics designed by the normal hardware team, that is not just weather sealed but submersible. Here's why that works: the WA lenses that go with it--we can start with 15, 24, 40, and 70--are mostly inside the camera body, making it relatively easy to make them also submersible. Most of the time, you've got a K-mount camera; but when you need it, you've got a very compact underwater system. It would be far and away smaller than DSLR housings and have far better image quality than compact submersibles. It would cost a good premium, but even if it cost 2x as much as what we have now there would be pros who would rather risk a $2k backup camera that's designed for extreme conditions than a $5k kit that they know they need tomorrow and which will only "probably" survive.
01-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Mirrorless in K mount will continue -likely with the GXR with a K mounter.
I hope that.It will be a winner!
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the design of K-01. I'm only a casual portrait person, so all those features on K-5 on me is an overkill.

If anything, I want them to make the interchangeable faceplates for next K-0X cameras.
01-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #73
Veteran Member

A K-02 would allow Pentax to be the first to release a mirrorless APSC or FF DSLnR with an iPod dock. The iPhone would just slot in where the current LCD screen is and offer full control and connectivity etc. Like the adapter above, there wouldn't be any need for any buttons or anything else on it, all the controls are on the iPhone screen, including the shutter release. Just don't use/need the iPhone's own inbuilt camera/sensor.

It's a scenario which would suit Apple as they would never release their iOS to the manufacturers to include in the actual camera itself which is why they are all resorting to using Android instead. But why bother building all that into the camera itself when you can just dock the phone to it instead? So I assume Apple would be amenable to having/offering third-party camera support to combat these new Android cameras. And who better than Pentax Ricoh who are looking for that unique 'angle' that will allow them to gain an edge over the others - ie, millions of iPhone users choosing to 'upgrade' to a more serious camera would go the K-02/iPhone route instead of a separate MILC system.

So basically a blank, or a 'dumb' K-02 camera, leaves Pentax to focus on the IS and AF and optics etc, and the software to Apple and all the app makers. Each group doing what they do best.

Once it's a success, maybe one day go one further and take the technology and make an iPod-dock camera back with sensor for the old Pentax film cameras as well.
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That is way too logical for camera manufacturers. They prefer arbitrary numbers with no meaning....oh and for some unknown reason, it is better to stick an X somewhere in the name.
Being a former Olympusian, I always was amused about the relation OM10 << OM1.

At least, OM4 > OM3 > OM2 > OM1 applied - whereas for Pentax, whether LX is > or < than MX (after all, M comes after L in the alphabet) was always weird.

Back on topic, though...I actually recently ordered another K-01. All said and done, the IQ is great, the ergonomics acceptable. What I would *really* like in a K-01+ would be (i) a second wheel (so as to have one for aperture and one for shutter), and (ii) a bigger internal buffer as I take pictures in raw only.

A K-01++ would, additionally, have GPS built-in and geotag the images.

A K-00 (which must be the logical, ultimate, pro camera ?) would be the ultimate zen experience. It'd take only RAW (no jpeg, no development into jpeg, ...) in max resolution, and have almost no menus. Rather, it would have a switch to turn on/off SR, a switch to go from Hyper-P to M, an AV+/- for exposure and an independent AV +/- for flash, a switch to hack on/off the GPS, and two wheels for aperture and shutter. No digital filters, no HDR, and all that other junk that I never use
02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I'd just like the K-01 to support all the features of the GPS unit. They could do it with a BIOS update. I may end up snagging a used Kr, or eventually a K-30, just so I can get the star tracking support.

That's one thing that Pentax should really be pushing, IMHO. All cameras should support star tracking, even the cheap bodies and they should really upsell the star tracking functionality in their complete camera lineup.

Charles