Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-02 - I wish. Anybody want it?

I don't like the idea that K-01 is not a new line of cameras. Let's ask Pentax not to kill K-01's idea...Is it real?

I think it's silly to cut idea of mirrorless with K-mount. The money is already invested. K-mount mirrorless camera is good move.

MZ-M / ZX-M - 135 x 90.5 x 55 mm
*ist - 122 x 84 x 63.5 mm

K-01 - 121 x 80 x 59 mm is already smaller than smallest AF film cameras.
I don't see any problem to state to K-5's engineers the properly posed task with development of K-02.

K-01 has a lot of work of designer, not engineer. The controls and body is made by designer, first of all.
I think it's really to make K-02 smaller - at least 116*75*54 mm with deep grip and thinner body, change battery to D-Li109 and add EVF as option.

New line of lenses - I don't understand why Pentax decided not to develop such lenses....

Last edited by ogl; 10-13-2012 at 03:24 AM.
10-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to see a k-02 as well. But I would rather the battery to stick back to the D-LI90 as the D-LI109 of the k30 does not give a lot of shots when lv is used.

A smaller body is welcome as u suggested. I don't really mind if there is no EVF. Didn't miss that really when I use the k-01. I would like a swivel screen though....
10-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't mind EVF, but here is what would be nice improvements:
-The K-5ii now has a better screen, put that on the K-01
-add tilting and swiveling to the K-01 screen
-EVF maybe, a lot of people claim to want it, I don't care much. If they add it, it should be unobtrusive and should not try to look like a DSLR VF, but rather should be incorporated into the overall K-01 style
-Improved button placement (especially red and green buttons)
-More video output modes (some videographers want 4k video and stuff)
-Peaking during recording video
-and keep the overall design, with only a few changes where needed (for example the SD card door, a lot of people are whining about it, even though I had no problem with it so far)
-Add an all-black version for people who are afraid of colors and have a pathological need to "look pro"
Beyond that, just standard improvements in AF, sensor technology, noise reduction, better camera cooling, more detailed screen, uncrippled mount, if they go for that etc. Of the K-01 I like the solid build and the image IQ, the long battery life and its compactness.
10-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I would like to see a k-02 as well. But I would rather the battery to stick back to the D-LI90 as the D-LI109 of the k30 does not give a lot of shots when lv is used.

A smaller body is welcome as u suggested. I don't really mind if there is no EVF. Didn't miss that really when I use the k-01. I would like a swivel screen though....
Pentax has the technologies of energy saving in their cameras. Anyway, they can choose new type of battery - powerful and compact.

10-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Mirrorless in K mount will continue -likely with the GXR with a K mounter.
10-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I think you're right. I like that the GXR can be whatever a person needs it to be. Heck, as long as they're making a module big enough to accept the K mount, they might as well stick in a FF sensor, too, and leap-frog the competition, right?
10-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
New line of lenses - I don't understand why Pentax decided not to develop such lenses

The use of PK lens was the only reason I purchaed the Pentax K-01 - otherwise I would have got the Q instead, which btw is still on my wish list for the near future - especially with the new lens adapter which adds the 5.5 magnification factor. More about staying with the PK's. One still has to visualize that there are still some existing 100+ marketed lens at this very moment. Add to that the PK line which goes back to the early 80's. It sure beats with what Fuji came out with (or didn't) with only three lens offered for one of it's cameras. There's also nothing like having those available optics to match up with the sensor - anything less just wouldn't do it and would be far too limiting.

About the battery in the K-01... For any future camera (especially a K-02) why not consider cutting the size of the battery in half - even if that means cutting the capacity in half. Then if someone wants the additional power they can simply swap out batteries or add a battery grip

10-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The use of PK lens was the only reason I purchaed the Pentax K-01 - otherwise I would have got the Q instead...
Same here. I found a used Q with all lenses, except the toy telephoto, for under $500...with the chance to get it for even less. However, the more I thought about it, the more I decided that the trade-off between size vs the ability to use all my lenses (+ sensor size) was just too great.
10-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
really bad idea. useless. you don't understand why it's useless.
without AF - niche product, with AF is unreal.
10-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The use of PK lens was the only reason I purchaed the Pentax K-01 - otherwise I would have got the Q instead
I think he meant XS lens prototypes that we saw. They were K-mount, but receded further into the body because there is no mirror in the way. The idea was that they would still be K-mount, but only usable on mirrorless systems (or maybe with an adapter on DSLRs). At first there were rumours that the 40mm XS is like that, but when it came out it turned out that it is normal.
10-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

really bad idea. useless. you don't understand why it's useless.
without AF - niche product, with AF is unreal.
It's not supposed to be the future of Pentax...only a link to the past to retain legacy users.
10-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I don't like the idea that K-01 is not a new line of cameras. Let's ask Pentax not to kill K-01's idea...Is it real?

I think it's silly to cut idea of mirrorless with K-mount. The money is already invested. K-mount mirrorless camera is good move.

MZ-M / ZX-M - 135 x 90.5 x 55 mm
*ist - 122 x 84 x 63.5 mm

K-01 - 121 x 80 x 59 mm is already smaller than smallest AF film cameras.
I don't see any problem to state to K-5's engineers the properly posed task with development of K-02.

K-01 has a lot of work of designer, not engineer. The controls and body is made by designer, first of all.
I think it's really to make K-02 smaller - at least 116*75*54 mm with deep grip and thinner body, change battery to D-Li109 and add EVF as option.

New line of lenses - I don't understand why Pentax decided not to develop such lenses....
I like my K-01 and thus I would like Pentax to build on that series. I do like the K-01 as it is, but there is always room for improvement and making a design different. I do see there could be a market for a mirrorless without VF (like K-01) and having one with viewfinder.

Making the K-mount mirrorless smaller is one off the tasks that Pentax could work on. Aldo I don't mind the bulkyness from the K-01.

Making it thinner then K-01 is a difficult one, since flangedistance, sensor with SR-platform and back lcd are the three items that absorb room.

One off the big reasons I bought the K-01 is that it has the D-Li90 inside. I like the power inside my K-01 and don't have to worry about it. I like it that I can use the same as in my K-5's. On the other hand when Pentax makes one with the D-Li109 and put stwo battery's inside the box then I wouldn't complain. It does make the grip different and smaller (aslong they don't want to include the AA's). The D-Li109 is different in power, so that would make the camera much less powerfull in energy and that does make it working maybe different.

The EVF: I really don't see people buy that EVF. So just make a model that includes it. It is much more expensive, but also making the model without one different in price. That would make the modelline out of two camera's, wich isn't abnormal.

Well I would like to see some intruding lenses, but on the other hand I like my K-01 with the little bit more larger lenses like FA31 and DA*55, more then with DA40mmLTD since I then have something to hold on. I would not buy any slow lenses since they don't perform fast in AF with current technology. A faster intruding lens could only be possible when the mirrorbox (the one without the mirror) would be made bigger then in K-01 to make room for the tube that let's the light onto the sensor.
10-13-2012, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
-Add an all-black version for people who are afraid of colors and have a pathological need to "look pro"
And a pink one, just to irritate those people and maintain balance in the universe. They don't even have to sell the pink one, just the fact that it exists seems to do the trick... (Actually, I think there should have been a pinkenta version of the K-01 along with the yellow bumblebee.)

The K-01 is pretty solid, for what it is - the only MILC with a legacy mount, with great image quality. The slow auto-focus was the biggest problem I had, and FW1.01 has addressed that. It could use some improvements for the video shooters and better button placement/ergonomics for the still shooters

I'd be interested in seeing what they could do with XS lenses - a semi-pancake shorty zoom would be handy as a walking around lens.
10-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would really like an articulating screen to use it at waist level.
10-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

New line of lenses - I don't understand why Pentax decided not to develop such lenses.
Something like the Voigtlaender SL Heliar 12/5.6 (Voigtlander SL 12/5.6 15/4.5),
manual focus only, would make a very compact outfit on a K-01 or successor
for real-estate and interior photography.
The Photozone test of the M-mount version on the Sony NEX
(Voigtlander Ultra-Wide Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical II on Sony NEX - Review / Lens Test Report)
suggests that the edge effects are manageable.