Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am also a bit disappointed they are dropping the line. I liked the idea of the camera and enjoyed the chance I had to play with one. I was waiting for an upgraded body before buying one, with many of the hopes already mentioned here.
Guess I'll start looking more seriously at the original...

10-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I had a Samsung HZ35W p&s with 3" AMOLED screen, very usable in bright sunlight.
The K-01 being born without EVF should have used a similar screen technology instead of LCD.

So maybe for K-02?
10-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So they're dropping the K-01 line... But who says there won't be a different line of Pentax mirrorless cameras in which they do implement what they've learned from the K-01? All the K-01 needed was a good EVF and a more functional (DSLR-type) design and it would have been a big winner.
10-15-2012, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #19
D0n
Banned

If I were Pentax I'd keep the k-01.... as it is...
I'd make the k-02 something radically new...
a video centric cam system, that happens to take fine still images...
copy what RED is doing...
body.... same sensor as the k-01, with a duo core processor and 4 k video...
optional battery grip with live second sd card slot, and wi-fi
optional evf and live hdmi RAW or uncompressed video output
optional articulated touch screen monitor via smartphone dock and mounting bracket...
multiple video formats choices..
peak focus during recording..
weather sealed.
video and still image capture simultaneously...
then I could buy what I need when I need it and build up a system for specific tasks.

a new line of recessed, silent focusing video/cinema lenses based on proven lens designs...
Ricoh and Pentax combined could make this camera happen.... it would be a great system for pros... even better if they go FF sensor with it...

10-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't like the idea that K-01 is not a new line of cameras. Let's ask Pentax not to kill K-01's idea...Is it real?

I think it's silly to cut idea of mirrorless with K-mount. The money is already invested. K-mount mirrorless camera is good move... I don't see any problem to state to K-5's engineers the properly posed task with development of K-02...(
Yes, develop a model K-02 and make it look a little bit more traditional Pentax-like, weather sealed, with a high end sensor, and a really strong battery. I would buy it!

Last edited by Traditional; 10-15-2012 at 03:19 PM.
10-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
really bad idea. useless. you don't understand why it's useless.
without AF - niche product, with AF is unreal.
You don't understand how people in the NEX world use it for legacy Pentax, Canon and Nikon glass.
10-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #22
Forum Member

I took it to mean that the K-01 is unique.
I did not take it to mean there won't be another K-mount mirrorless, just that it won't be called "K-02" (and probably no quirky design).
The K1000 was manufactured for over 20 years and remains a classic, despite the fact a K2000 was never made.

10-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
The K1000 was manufactured for over 20 years and remains a classic, despite the fact a K2000 was never made.
The "1000" referred to the shutter speed, like with the SP1000 and SP500.
But "01" is just a goofy number.
10-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Forum Member

Perhaps a model called Pentax ML 1..?

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The "1000" referred to the shutter speed, like with the SP1000 and SP500.
But "01" is just a goofy number.
Couldn't Pentax start all over producing mirror less cameras, and name the first one in the new line called something like "Pentax ML 1", where "ML" is short for Mirror Less?
10-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Traditional Quote
Couldn't Pentax start all over producing mirror less cameras, and name the first one in the new line called something like "Pentax ML 1", where "ML" is short for Mirror Less?
That is way too logical for camera manufacturers. They prefer arbitrary numbers with no meaning....oh and for some unknown reason, it is better to stick an X somewhere in the name.
10-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Traditional Quote
Yes, way to logical. Moreover, it makes it seem as if that line of cameras is lacking something: mirrorLESS.

Maybe a totally new concept name like DTTL? (Digital Thru The Lens.) It kind of says that the reflex part of DSLR is digitalized too now.
10-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So wait, the K-01 is discontinued, and there will be no more in the mirrorless K-mount line? Dammit, I LIKE the K-01, and am having a hard time deciding between it, the Q, and the K30 as my next camera. I was hoping I could just wait and buy the next version, but now you're telling me this is it? That SUCKS!

Charles.
10-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
Forum Member

Perhaps a model called Pentax WM 1..?

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, way to logical. Moreover, it makes it seem as if that line of cameras is lacking something: mirrorLESS.

Maybe a totally new concept name like DTTL? (Digital Thru The Lens.) It kind of says that the reflex part of DSLR is digitalized too now.
Well, couldn't Pentax start all over producing mirror less cameras, and name the first one in the new line called something like "Pentax WM 1", where "WM" is short for Without Mirror?
10-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
So wait, the K-01 is discontinued, and there will be no more in the mirrorless K-mount line? Dammit, I LIKE the K-01, and am having a hard time deciding between it, the Q, and the K30 as my next camera. I was hoping I could just wait and buy the next version, but now you're telling me this is it? That SUCKS!

Charles.
I don't think they've said they are ending the line, but the sales numbers weren't huge, and the silence on a followup is deafening. The only solid (non-) statement I've seen was someone responding to a question about the proposed lenses that extend into the mirror(less) box with "I haven't seen that on any map". This may be it - for the time being.

I'm curious how successful the September instant rebate was, to get more cameras out in people's hands. That pushed me over the brink, and I'm enjoying the heck out of my K-01. With the new firmware fixing the most vexing bugs, the K-01.01 really is a fun camera. It can't replace a dSLR, but being forced away from the viewfinder is making me shoot differently, and that can be a good thing.

If they go on closeout, I'm tempted to get a Bumblebee (I went with Basic Black) and shoot 3-D with the pair.
10-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Why not make it as small as possible and call it Pentax XS-1, so it fits along the lens line (assuming they make more XS lenses). Even if they take the K-01's body and remove the outer rubber with a regular plastic shell it'll already look much more "traditional" (palatable to people who demand "pro looking" cameras). And then just add some features mentioned on this forum