Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2013, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #91

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizowel Quote
Okay, it's a bit funky looking and whoever located the Green Button had no idea what it was supposed to be used for but for less than half the price of a K-30 I got a MILC with a state of the art APS-C sensor that takes great pictures through any lens I own and it works equally well on manual or auto. I love it! Who needs a K-02 when you have a K-01?
I agree. Just keep the firmware development going and produce more K-01 as it is; and keep the price below 300usd -- in a million color varieties

Common folks love it.

Edit: Hmmm, for K-02 I wish for faster AF in video.

Last edited by Salagubang; 02-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #92

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
My thought was to make the adapter more intelligent, some sort of snap-in 'snoot' that incorporates the various lens contacts and even the screwdrive motor, if they could stuff it all in there. Maybe different modules for other legacy mounts (probably completely unrealistic).

But that would be a whole new beast, with no more relation to the K-01 than the K1000.
Kind of like an EOS-M. It has it's own lenses but Canon makes an adapter to use EF and EF-S lenses with full capability. The K-01 features in an EOS-M type of camera would be killer. If the screw drive motor could be put in the adapter then you wouldn't have to saddle the new mount with it and it could just use SDM style auto focus on it's native lenses. And to top it all off, if the aperture lever could also be actuated by a motor in the adapter the camera could have a fully electronic native mount.
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #93
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I would really like an articulating screen to use it at waist level.
An articulated screen would detract from the ruggedness of the K-01. A camera perfect for my world would have the screen on top for waist level viewing and a detachable viewfinder like the old Nikon F for eye level.
02-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #94

These are all good ideas but lets get real. We're never ever going to find a single camera with everything we want or need. I have a dozen and there are still things I want that none of them have. The K-01 is what it is and it's a beautiful thing.

02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #95

K-02 should be like a film cam. You open the back and insert a card with sensor in it much just like a sim card (size of a calling card). Now sensor cards will be in available in all sizes: FF, APS-c, PnS so those all of us will buy with our preferences and budget he he, i.e., Pentax RED Sim

02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #96

Hello,
I agree with ogl.
I don't own a K-01 nore I had it ever in hands. My K10D is too bulky and I don't want to go back to the K100D although is a fine camera in its class. The K-01 seems not to save bulk like it could.
Change brand to get a mirrorless with interchangeable lenses? Fuji X-E1 is too expensive even second hand and I don't like the control feeling. Ricoh GXR? I didn't try it, but changing lens together with image sensor is an expensive luxury.
I come from the old school film-SLR edge and like their feeling, therefore I would like a mirrorless with more dedicated control buttons and wheels and less empty space. The described-imaginated K-02 seems to meet my taste.
Konstantin
05-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #97
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Kind of like an EOS-M. It has it's own lenses but Canon makes an adapter to use EF and EF-S lenses with full capability. The K-01 features in an EOS-M type of camera would be killer. If the screw drive motor could be put in the adapter then you wouldn't have to saddle the new mount with it and it could just use SDM style auto focus on it's native lenses. And to top it all off, if the aperture lever could also be actuated by a motor in the adapter the camera could have a fully electronic native mount.
Every MILC has an optional adapter, not just Canon. You can put Sony, Zeiss and Minolta lenses on a NEX; Olympus 4/3 lenses (and others to a lesser degree) on a PEN; Nikon F on a 1 and even Pentax KAF on a Q etc etc.
I agree that in hindsight Pentax should have made a smaller camera and a couple of basic kit lenses (probably E-mount for APS-C statndard and to avoid yet another system and afford compatibility with all those Sony and Zeiss lenses) and a fully functional KAF to E adapter including mechanical aperture lever. I would prefer to have a walk-around MILC with an 18-55 and the option of full compatibility with all my KA lenses. If I wish I can buy any NEX and a basic K adapter for stop-down functionality, but I prefer to lug around my K-01 until/if/when there is a functional alternative.

06-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Changes for a K-02 ?
QuoteQuote:
Pentax should make their future mirrorless cameras in E mount
NO !!

If you want to use E-mount lenses, why buy a Pentax, go by a Sony. If you want to use EF mount lenses, buy a Canon, (etc etc for Nikon, Leica,..)

Real world changes for a K-02?

Better button placement - so they fall under the fingers more comfortably, perhaps a wider bevel across the back edge at about 45degrees, with the green/red/+- buttons tilted back on that bevel to fall under the thumb, when the index finger is on the shutter release button.

External power socket - so you don't need a separate power unit that plugs in to the battery socket, and can charge the battery while recording.

Pretty sure everything else I'd want is in the Firmware thread.
06-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
K-02 should be like a film cam. You open the back and insert a card with sensor in it much just like a sim card (size of a calling card). Now sensor cards will be in available in all sizes: FF, APS-c, PnS so those all of us will buy with our preferences and budget he he, i.e., Pentax RED Sim
Yes! And sensor cleaning would be much easier. Just put them in the dishwasher.

All jokes aside though, this is an excellent idea. I would love to buy an extra IR-filterless sensor for my K-5. Or a sensor fully dedicated to monochrome.

But realisticly, I think this would be an engineering nightmare for cameras with IBIS.

And I am not sure this would be interesting for Pentax. In a world with exchangeable sensors the K-5IIs would not even exist. And the extra income from an extra body in the line up wouldn't exist either.

Last edited by Clavius; 06-14-2013 at 02:10 AM.
06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #100

I don't see why a new line of lenses is wanted. There are so many great lenses for K-mount to use, why make a new line of lenses just for a mirrorless camera? Then a big part of the reason to get one would be gone for me.
06-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #101
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
I don't see why a new line of lenses is wanted. There are so many great lenses for K-mount to use, why make a new line of lenses just for a mirrorless camera? Then a big part of the reason to get one would be gone for me.
Because it's so damn big and awkward.

I love my K-01, but I don't kid myself it's compact. Consider a Pentax K-02 with all the features and size of a Sony NEX-6 plus a fully functional KAF to E mount adapter attached when a K mount lens is desired. That would satisfy every request on this page and still be smaller and lighter than the K-01. Unfortunately, no-one is going to make any adapter other than the no-contact K mount adapters available now due to lack of popularity/demand for Pentax accessories.

That idea doesn't really translate to the Q series due to the tiny sensor and massive crop factor (a nifty 50 becomes a 230mm telephoto!) so that adapter is not so useful.

In hindsight, Pentax have probably missed the boat on the best combination of lens mounts. The Q series are not that much smaller than equivalent MILCs from Nikon, Olympus and Sony despite the much smaller sensor. That's 3 mounts (Q, K, 645) and no real option of a 4th unless they go for an existing E or MFT mount.

In any event, an entire range would not be warranted, or necessarily that hard if they went for the E mount. The APS-C lenses are already the right size, they just need the mount and a motor if screw-drive only. Full-frame lenses would remain K mount and compatible with the inevitable Full-frame DSLR. I'm not a Canon fan, but they and Sony got the combination right. One mount for APS-C and one for Full-frame. I anticipate that one day all DSLRs will be Full-frame and those 2 will have APS-C MILCs and no need for smaller sensors/mounts.
06-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
Consider a Pentax K-02 with all the features and size of a Sony NEX-6 plus a fully functional KAF to E mount adapter attached when a K mount lens is desired. That would satisfy every request on this page and still be smaller and lighter than the K-01.
An NEX-sized body would have no in-body image stabilization, and about half the battery capacity. The KAF-E adapter would have to be fairly chunky to house a screwdrive motor on one side (capable of turning big heavy zooms), another motor to operate the aperture arm on the other, and electronics to translate the E-mount electronic interface to the KAF's electromechanical interface - all of which would use more power than native E-lenses, further reducing shot count. I'm not trying to to be negative, just pointing out that any design has costs and tradeoffs.
06-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
Because it's so damn big and awkward.

I love my K-01, but I don't kid myself it's compact. Consider a Pentax K-02 with all the features and size of a Sony NEX-6 plus a fully functional KAF to E mount adapter attached when a K mount lens is desired. That would satisfy every request on this page and still be smaller and lighter than the K-01. Unfortunately, no-one is going to make any adapter other than the no-contact K mount adapters available now due to lack of popularity/demand for Pentax accessories.

That idea doesn't really translate to the Q series due to the tiny sensor and massive crop factor (a nifty 50 becomes a 230mm telephoto!) so that adapter is not so useful.

In hindsight, Pentax have probably missed the boat on the best combination of lens mounts. The Q series are not that much smaller than equivalent MILCs from Nikon, Olympus and Sony despite the much smaller sensor. That's 3 mounts (Q, K, 645) and no real option of a 4th unless they go for an existing E or MFT mount.

In any event, an entire range would not be warranted, or necessarily that hard if they went for the E mount. The APS-C lenses are already the right size, they just need the mount and a motor if screw-drive only. Full-frame lenses would remain K mount and compatible with the inevitable Full-frame DSLR. I'm not a Canon fan, but they and Sony got the combination right. One mount for APS-C and one for Full-frame. I anticipate that one day all DSLRs will be Full-frame and those 2 will have APS-C MILCs and no need for smaller sensors/mounts.
The size is fine for me, I don't need it any smaller. I don't want it any smaller, it will be too awkward to handle properly.
06-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #104

Can I play?

I'm fairly happy with the K-01 as it is, with only some minor niggles.

But,......... since we're fantasizing about a K-02..............

> An option for a grip would be nice, as the K-01 is a bit clunky/clumsy in portrait-mode, at least for me.

> +1 on an articulating screen, that's probably something I would say is #1 or 2 on my list of features I wish Pentax would adopt for their cameras, after releasing a FF of course. I'm getting older and have a bad knee, so getting up and down repeatedly is not pleasant for me, but stooping over with an articulating screen is no problem.

> I liked the suggestion by RustyWrangler, of a screen on top, but it wouldn't likely be very useful to me in portrait-mode, and if we're gonna add an EVF, well then we might as well just use a K-5 or something.

> Maybe improved low-light AF as well while we're at it.
06-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #105

The things that I can think of now:
  • An M-mode that actually works with completely manual lenses would be nice.
  • A buffer so raw isn't just one image per second, at least a couple of images.
  • Adjustment for focus peaking, so precision can be adjusted, also color of peaking.
  • Ability to take a digital preview (maybe it's there already, but I'm not figuring out how, I'm only getting the camera to stop down with any of the red og green button as preview, not digital as on the Pentax DSLRs).
  • Composition adjustment.
  • Option to use sensor shift for shake reduction.
  • Interval shooting that just goes until either battery is empty or card is full, not stopping at 999 images.
  • Proper image quality for video.
  • Levels for audio during video, so the record volume can be set sensibly, maybe even headphones out.
  • Option to use the full sensor for video when shake reduction is off (now a little field of view is lost in video).
  • Live View via HDMI to an external monitor with HD signal out.