Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #1

Shutter Button

Is anyone eles but me having problems with the shutter button being too flush with the on/off switch on the K-01 making it hard to press Maybe it's just me and my big index finger but I'm finding it hard to press, seems it should been raise up more. I'm trying hard to like the K-01 but things are not working out for me. I did the firmware update but still she struggle to autofocus mainly in low light. This should not be using the 42mm with it's f2.8 something is still not right and that leaves with keeping it hoping Pentax will fix things or return it before the my time runs out

10-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The buttons on my K-01 are slightly... firmer than the ones on my K-r. They are snappy, though, with no problem. Can you compare your shutter button to those on photos of the K-01? Return it if it looks different.
Also, online there are many stores that sell little shutter button gue-ons to make the shutter button protrude more.
The 40mm xs f2.8 lens is fairly slow with its f2.8, but keep in mind that "blur" might also be caused by the long exposure time in dim light (you can notice this because nothing seems to be in focus and maybe you can even see light sources having a directional trail). Of course, contrast detect AF cannot possibly be as fast or work in dim light like PD AF. I suggest you try using the camera in different locations and light situations, though.
10-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The buttons on my K-01 are slightly... firmer than the ones on my K-r. They are snappy, though, with no problem. Can you compare your shutter button to those on photos of the K-01? Return it if it looks different.
Also, online there are many stores that sell little shutter button gue-ons to make the shutter button protrude more.
The 40mm xs f2.8 lens is fairly slow with its f2.8, but keep in mind that "blur" might also be caused by the long exposure time in dim light (you can notice this because nothing seems to be in focus and maybe you can even see light sources having a directional trail). Of course, contrast detect AF cannot possibly be as fast or work in dim light like PD AF. I suggest you try using the camera in different locations and light situations, though.
Thanks for posting. First I'm not new to SLR/DSLR cameras been at it using cameras like Nikon D3200, 5100, Sony A57 and now my Pentax K5 which I love. So I do understand about slow shutter speed and what can happen. The shots I took in doors was using a Tripod and the K-01 just did not want to lock on with it's autofocus. Now in good light she not having any problems per say and the photos look very good. The shutter button is really annoying for me, as I said looking at it's, it's almost flush with the top of the power button and I hate to have to buy a gule on button just to make it work for me. Over all I like the K-01 but there things that keeps me from really falling in love with it. I got 57 days left to return it for a refund or get something eles.
10-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

I haven't experienced this particular problem at all. However I use a different technique for using the shutter button to many others by re-assigning the focussing to the AE-L button on the back of the camera. I've worked this way for a long time as I get really irritated when setting focus with the shutter button as well as the exposure. I'm just wondering if by applying a slightly different way of using the buttons you would find the problem goes away.

However - the flash popping up everytime I hold the camera with my left hand - that really irritates me! (But not enough to get rid of it)