Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Should I do it?

I'm in the need for money right now and believe it or not am thinking about selling my beloved silver Pentax K-5. Since I still need something to do my real estate photos with I was thinking about picking up a K-01 since my photos will be done on a tripod mostly and LCD works good in that situation I figured this might be a good choice. What do you guys think?

10-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never sell anything you love, Always sell things because you love other things more.
10-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
Banned

Keep the K-5!
10-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For real estate photography the K-01 should be good. The sensor is almost the same as the K-5, but it has focus peaking, which can be useful. People here are saying not to sell anything you like, but maybe they don't understand that money can be tight sometimes. The K-01 is great for still photography and video; you can probably get a great deal on it now. Sure, the silver K-5 is also special, but its up to you to decide what your needs are right now.

10-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you serious?
I consider my K-01 as a partner for my K-5's, but definitely NOT a replacement.
11-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
WMW

shoalen,

Perhaps you should ask yourself, "Why do I want a K-01"? This is especially significant since you already own a K-5. I trust that you have the necessary lenses to do want you need in regards to real estate photography. The only plus to this is that selling the K-5 would possibly be worth double the price you'd have to pay for the K-01 body.

Granted, anyone would be happy with an extra $200-300. But since you already have the K-5 and all the lenses you need for the type of photography that you do, what's the net gain? Only you can answer that. At the end of the day, I'd keep the K-5. Let it be your "work horse" until such a time that the extra $$ gained by selling it would justify an extra outlay of cash.

One other consideration would be, talk to your accountant and/or insurance agent. What you have written above leads me to think that your concern over buying new equipment may be tied into your photography business. If this is the case, these people should be able to guide you into a proper business decision, and not a gut-level reaction based upon the latest depreciation of camera bodies.

Best regards,
Wayne
11-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cameras will come and go. The K-5 has no Pentax rival but if you intend to make the money back and reinvest it into a camera again, I'd go with a K-5 II.

11-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd like to thank everyone for their input. My need for extra cash was urgent though so I wound up selling the K-5 Silver along with the silver 40mm xs lens for $1200. It was absolutely heartbreaking to see the thing go but at least the guy who bought it is someone who will really enjoy it. Then I bought the K-01 from adorama which came with the black 40mm xs lens and a bunch of other random stuff for $446, and actually for my line of work this works perfectly! I was quite surprised just how much of a joy it is to use. I will definitely miss my K-5 Silver and by no means does the autofocus in the K-01 compare to it but for what I do and for the situation i was in this truly was the best move. Perhaps next year I'll get a K-5 II or maybe wait to see if they make a silver K-5 II haha.
11-09-2012, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
I was quite surprised just how much of a joy it is to use.
Yep, this is one of the perks of the K-01 - its a good camera, but its much more chill than a DSLR. I am glad it is working out for you. There is always time to get another camera later
11-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done. That worked out well and the K-01 is almost as good as you'll get for an APS-C platform.
11-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
WMW

I'm pleased to read that you got the financed sorted, but empathize with having to sell a beloved camera. At least you were able to pick up a very capable camera for your needs.
11-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Very glad you got such a good deal on the K-01. That kit from Adorama was a solid deal IMHO.
11-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Banned

enjoy your new camera, and it looks like you got a good deal in the end.