Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #16

Sergio,
A majority of our clients require shooting "on the fly" for location shoots...and scripts are often written after the fact, so it can be difficult to actually plan a shot.
We shoot with the fastest lenses we have, so the depth of field can be quite narrow. With practice, you can follow focus manually with some pretty good results.We always use tripods with the K-01 (because the digital shake reduction used in video mode makes a lot of footage unusable) and to me, helps a bit to keep "focused" on the focusing.

02-21-2013, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
I just finished testing my K-5 video vs my new K-01. Much to my dismay, using SR on both, the K-5 has MUCH, I repeat, MUCH less rolling shutter problem than the K-01. It is really noticable, and the reason I am returning my K-01. Basically, on the K-01, you have to:

- Turn off SR to avoid the rolling shutter, which in turn produces shaky videos unless you use a tripod all the time, which for most folks is a deal breaker. You can keep SR on with the K-5...I have shot pretty steady K-5 videos from a moving train for example.
- Use fixed aperature (not program) video mode, because on the K-01 (not the K-5), any aperature changes are loudly picked up on the audio by the mics near the front of the lens mount. Therefore, you can't use the red button for quick videos, since the videos must use program mode with the red button. Ugh.
- K-5 videos have better, lower contrast and better color, IMO
- Movie AF on K-01 is too slow to really use...manual is better, not as noisy as well
- K-5 optical viewfinder is often better to use is sunny conditions for video as well
- Only downside to K-5 video is size of files, which can be converted maintaining quality to mov..but takes time

So basically, the K-01 is NOT a better video camera than the K-5. Pentax really messed this up on the K-01, and some of these traits may be on the new K-30 as well. I think a lot of camera reviewers are really lousy at testing cameras, as these issues are obvious when using the K-01 for a day or more.
You are the first person ever to use the K-5 optical viewfinder when shooting video .
02-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
- K-5 optical viewfinder is often better to use is sunny conditions for video as well
Not sure how it's even possible to use the OVF on the K-5 for video when the mirror is UP.

@rdj92807 I have only used the K-01 for test footage as I have an excellent HD Camcorder for higher end video, but l agree with others that you should keep the SR off and use a tripod, monopod or the strap around you neck under tension as you hold the camera in front of you.
Also, like any camera that shoots video - it's best to let the subjects do all the movement while you keep the camera still. Shoot in 'clips' rather than moving around all over the place.

With all this in mind and choosing the best settings for each new condition, I've found the K-01 to produce acceptable video.