Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

M&K lenses on K-01 issues

So, I found some neat M & K mount lenses and after reviewing several threads hear, I need to sort things out in a summarized single post
(just to know whether to tell the guy to cut the price in half or sod off!)

I'll add what I know of, please add any issues you know of (and their solution) or feel free to correct me

So:
  • Issue
  • How to deal with it

Stopping down using aperture ring
  • Use camera in M mode, set Green Button to (Tv Shift). Focus, Set aperture, Press GB, SHOOT
    (Can only stop down aperture in M mode)

Possible blur, inability to focus, when lens wide open (max aperture)
(this is important as i plan to use f1.4 lenses wide open!)
  • ?? (does it exist?, If so, any way to solve it?)

10-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here you go:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

With no VF, shooting wide open is assisted on K-01 with focus peaking as far as I understand, it should actually make the job easier.

As I have read the article linked above, you will find M mode is the way to go. Understanding the exposure triangle will be of benefit. For example I have a K300mm f4.0 that often has me adjusting ISO to bump up my shutter speed. This may speak to blurr concerns - in manual mode, its best to keep to 1/FL as a bare minimum for shutter speeds.

Also, its often spoken about how the exposures may come up dark, or light for what ever reason... The exposure calculated using manual glass will be determined by what you point it at while pressing the green button. If you are spot metering it will affect the exposure dramatically.

Finally, you can find a set of fully manual extension tubes for ~ $25-50 - snatch them up, once you get used to shooting manual glass, you will find these manual extension tubes open up a new world of macro shooting.

10-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
Possible blur, inability to focus, when lens wide open (max aperture)
(this is important as i plan to use f1.4 lenses wide open!)
  • ?? (does it exist?, If so, any way to solve it?)
The problem was that the lens was soft wide open, not that the K-01 was somehow blurring the image. All Pentax dSLRs (not just the K-01) will leave the aperture wide open on K- and M- lenses in Av mode, and in M mode will hold it open for focusing until the shutter is actuated. If the lens is very soft, this could make focusing difficult, which would also be true for any other camera.
10-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
Wow, they weren't kidding about how helpful the community here is

Thanks a million guys looks like the guy will have to cut the price to half or play hard to get (and fail!)

10-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
One question though, THoog; Is it possible that a software (or hardware) mod that could make manual K & M lenses act as M42 in regards to stopping down just through the aperture ring (not needing to calculate the shutter speed) ?
10-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
One question though, THoog; Is it possible that a software (or hardware) mod that could make manual K & M lenses act as M42 in regards to stopping down just through the aperture ring (not needing to calculate the shutter speed) ?
I talked about that in the 'Blurry images' thread. You can put some tape on the lens mount so that the camera can't detect that there is a K-mount lens present. However, in low light, you will have less light to work with for focusing and composing.
Making an M lens automatic, sort of. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Historically, going back to the 1950s, a big challenge for camera designers was avoiding focusing through a dark viewfinder when the lens was stopped down. The M42 lenses had preset apertures and then "auto" mode - just a button that held the iris open until the shutter fired. K-mount replaced the button with a lever. It may seem counter-intuitive that the camera holds the aperture wide open as much as possible or that it treats different types of manual lenses differently. From an old geezer's point-of-view, the K-01 is behaving like every Pentax SLR going back to the K1000, and it's trying to make the most of the capabilities of the lens.

Last edited by THoog; 10-22-2012 at 12:38 PM.
10-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
Very helpful
Thanks a ton

If you know of any other issues, please let me know