Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
In general, think a strap is more of a hazard than a help. I'll use a Black Rapid strap in certain situations (like when I want to carry two bodies) but 98% of the time I go strapless: the camera is either in hand or in bag.
That's what I do right now. but I think the K01's grip is not really that of a k5/k7 sometimes I'm scared that someone would bump into me and cause me to drop the camera.

10-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
That's what I do right now. but I think the K01's grip is not really that of a k5/k7 sometimes I'm scared that someone would bump into me and cause me to drop the camera.
In that situation a wrist strap can be good. I've been happy with an optech model, with quick releases so that it can be detached from the wrist strap and connected to a neck strap.
10-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the K01's grip is not really that of a k5/k7
Point taken: I can see that the K01 may be a different case.
10-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Agree with dadipentak about the neck strap. I use a Gordy's wrist strap when out walking around. No strap in and around the house or at family gatherings. When hiking I attach a couple of carabiners to each end and hang it from the waist strap of my back pack where it is easy to clip/unclip. Mind you, I only use it with any of the DA limiteds.

10-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for crumpler. But it takes up space.
10-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #21

I use this.
Hakuba Camera Grip LH, Grip/Hand Strap KGP02
10-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Made the hand strap myself

I do not really like neck strap. For my old Pentax 200D I have used this strap:
Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video
but for K-01 I have found it to be cumbersome. Did not find neither in stores nor on-line what I wanted and eventually made it myself using worn out dog leash and strap from old backpack.
Attached Images

10-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I find a large or thick strap to get in the way so I was using a gordy strap, but than every time I left without the camera bag I found myself jumbling things around while holding my camera. So I put on my artisan & artist strap and find it perfect, so when I'm out without a bag and need two hands to maybe eat hotdog or something I can throw it over my shoulder or neck.

10-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
I find a large or thick strap to get in the way so I was using a gordy strap, but than every time I left without the camera bag I found myself jumbling things around while holding my camera. So I put on my artisan & artist strap and find it perfect, so when I'm out without a bag and need two hands to maybe eat hotdog or something I can throw it over my shoulder or neck.

Interesting, the strap is almost half the price of the camera. (The red one) Is it really worth the price?
10-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep the Pentax neck strap on all the time. My K-5's live on a BlackRapid double sling, and if I want a third body for high pressure live music the K-01 sits around my neck, usually with an ultra-wide or fisheye.
10-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Interesting, the strap is almost half the price of the camera. (The red one) Is it really worth the price?
It all depends really, this strap is the same type of strap you will find on a very expensive katana, the quality is beautiful. Really is no different than the knock off versions all over the net like the street strap, besides the fact it's made of real silk and by the same dudes who make em for katanas... But I do find the silk extremely soft but yet really durable without causing irritation to the skin. It's expensive but for me it jumps from one camera to the next, whatever one I'm using the most really, so it gets it's use...
10-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It all depends really, this strap is the same type of strap you will find on a very expensive katana, the quality is beautiful. Really is no different than the knock off versions all over the net like the street strap, besides the fact it's made of real silk and by the same dudes who make em for katanas... But I do find the silk extremely soft but yet really durable without causing irritation to the skin. It's expensive but for me it jumps from one camera to the next, whatever one I'm using the most really, so it gets it's use...
Interesting, and thank you for the honest reply. I heard they're really good, and the technique used on making the strap was the same technique used eras before where the samurais used to walk the land. If I have the money I would get one myself, knowing how the Japanese are proud of their "craft" I know that strap would be an awesome buy.
10-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a hand strap

I use a hand strap. I have never liked a strap behind my neck and always wrapped the strap around my hand and wrist anyway...

This model has an adjustable strap that wraps around the "palm" of your hand. Once adjusted, you can just slide your hand into it. There is another strap that goes around behind your thumb and clicks to lock it in place. Once locked the camera cannot be removed from your hand without unlocking it.

I shot a few pics with my lousy cell phone camera to illustrate.

10-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FarmerJim Quote
I use a hand strap. I have never liked a strap behind my neck and always wrapped the strap around my hand and wrist anyway...

This model has an adjustable strap that wraps around the "palm" of your hand. Once adjusted, you can just slide your hand into it. There is another strap that goes around behind your thumb and clicks to lock it in place. Once locked the camera cannot be removed from your hand without unlocking it.

I shot a few pics with my lousy cell phone camera to illustrate.
Ya I've seen those straps never really liked them, but than I thought they might come in handy for a K-01, you got any pictures of it on a K-01, since the K-01 isn't shaped like your typical camera I find you have to be creative while gripping it.
10-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ya I've seen those straps never really liked them, but than I thought they might come in handy for a K-01, you got any pictures of it on a K-01, since the K-01 isn't shaped like your typical camera I find you have to be creative while gripping it.
Sorry, I don't have a K-01 to test it with. It may work for you, since there is enough play with for me to reach all of the buttons on my K-5. As you can see from the photo, I can open my hand and it stays secure. Hopefully I gave you something to consider, even it I don't have the camera you were asking about.

I was able to "test fit" it at the camera store. Maybe one will let you "try before you buy"?

Good luck.