Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What strap do you use?

Just wondering what the K01 users use, did you guys get an after market strap? or just the freebie? Is it a hand strap? or a neck strap?
I'm not using any strap right now on my k01, and I'm thinking of getting it an after market strap. Any suggestions?

10-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Used to use the Pentax one. I like to have the camera across my neck/shoulder line and running around my body when i walk and then just pull it in front of me to take a pic. Kind of like that Rapid style, but without the camera actually "moving" across the strap. The one that came with the camera was just too short for that. I also I dont like clips as I feel they may accidentally unclip one day and the camera could meet the ground. So, I bought:

Amazon.com: Crumpler Industry Disgrace Camera Strap IDE001-T01000 - Beech: Camera & Photo

I was super pleased. Not only it is long enough but also well padded. I can have K-7 + 50-135 around my neck for hours and not feel a thing. It is a bit spaceous (all the padding) though. This might be a problem if you wanna keep volume to a minimum w K-01.
10-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

When it comes to digital straps I'm a Tamrac N46 fan. I've got two of them, bought them on sale and I really like them. More importantly I trust them. I don't feel like I'm going to lose a camera just because my straps have a quick release system. They're not quite as wide as I'd like but for modern straps they're fairly comfortable though I always put a fleece cover on mine to keep the strap from making marks on my neck. I tend to get seat belt type welts from just about anything that touches my bare neck. My skin is pretty sensitive doesn't like the modern plastic canvas strap material much.

I actually prefer an old fashioned real canvas or hippie strap that's long enough to wear bandolier style. My favorite straps are not my modern ones. I really like my vintage straps, any thick, wide, strap that's old, soft, and sturdy. I actually kind of covet one of those old canvas rainbow straps but I've not yet found one used that wasn't attached to an expensive camera I have no particular use for...
10-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Banned

I just use the freebee on my K-01. I mostley use the short lenses, so no weight hanging.

10-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #5

I have tried a few straps. I started with the with the good old pentax strap. Then went to the super padded/wide optech strap. Then started to use just a optech wrist lanyard, which is still in my arsenal. I then made the switch to a blackrapid strap. I really prefer this style of strap. It gets the camera down on your hip out of the way, and allows you to quickly access it when needed. This past year I made yet another switch to the luma labs cinch strap Luma Labs — Cinch It is very similar to the black rapid, but has a couple key improvements. The cinch is a lot less bulky. I always found myself with a big sweat stain on my shoulder with the black rapid. It was also difficult sometimes to find a spot in my camera bag while attached. The cinch is just as comfortable without the bulk. The cinch also has one key feature.....It can cinch! The strap allows you to tighten it up against your body, getting it even further out of the way. It also secures it a lot more. So when your climbing to get that perfect shot you don't have to worry about your camera swinging around and banging into something. The one thing I do miss about the black rapid is the quick release clip. It did add to the bulk, but was nice from switching from camera to tripod collar depending on the lens. All this said I still use my optech wrist lanyard or nothing when I'm shooting a gig. I feel straps get in the way when your hands never leave camera. Straps are better for personal/travel shoots.

Last edited by scunning14; 10-23-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: spelling
10-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I use the Pentax strap that came with the camera. Mostly shooting with primes or short zooms so not too nose heavy.
10-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax neck strap was just a little too short for manual focusing - something to do with eyes and birthdays, probably. I find that I "one-hand" a lot more with the K-01, so I'm using a wrist lanyard from a point-n-shoot. (I could just pretend I'm Kai from Digital Rev and do without, but I like the added security.) The only problem: I've always kept lens caps, spare lenses, etc., in my right pockets. That doesn't work when you've got a little brick tied to your right hand. I've had to shift things around.

10-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Lowepro Speedster. It has two clips on either side that allows you to quickly release the camera from the strap. Very useful when using the camera on a tripod, and you don't want the strap to swing or you don't want to bother tying the strap to the tripod.

Only got it because my original strap that came with the k-x was fraying pretty bad (I'm abusive to the camera)
10-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I use a BlackRapid strap (RS-4, I think) that is intended to just go over one shoulder. It has a threaded fitting that screws into the tripod socket of the camera. The camera rests comfortably on my right hip (usually) and can be pulled up quickly when you need it (I usually keep my right hand on it when I walk). It doesn't bang on my chest when I walk, which was what I didn't like about the original strap. It doesn't work quite as well if you're on a bicycle or a kayak or something like that but for walking around I think it's great.
10-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #10

I used to use the freebie strap, but found that it irritated my neck, so I took it off and have been going strapless ever since. No regrets.
10-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I had picked up a used blue OpTech strap at a camera show and had been using that on my yellow K-01. But the other day, the plastic in one of the buckles started breaking up! I've been using OpTech straps for years and never had any problems with their materials. I'm just glad it didn't break and drop my camera. So, for now, I've been using the strap that came with the camera. However, I picked up a military strap at an army surplus store and I've been thinking about using that instead. Haven't quite decided.
10-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #12

since 'when' i use it is mostly for street shooting (for now) I use a cell-phone wrist strap that came with a Samsung I have to make it look more like a toy camera and not attract attention
10-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #13

I started using the strap included with my K-01 by putting it around my neck, pushing the camera out in front of me until the strap was tight, and bracing my elbows against my body, but with my glasses the LCD screen was just a little too close for good focusing. By switching to my old K200D strap, which is a little longer, I got the camera just those few more millimeters from my eyes that I needed to be able to focus well.
10-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Intresting! Let's keep it coming guys.
10-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimntonik Quote
strapless
In general, think a strap is more of a hazard than a help. I'll use a Black Rapid strap in certain situations (like when I want to carry two bodies) but 98% of the time I go strapless: the camera is either in hand or in bag.