Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The bad little Me on one shoulder says, "Go ahead... Do it... You know you want to".

The good little Me on the other shoulder looks up from typing "auto-takumar 55" into ebay's search box for the nth time this week and says, "I'm sorry - I wasn't listening. What?"

11-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know what has sold me on it... the fact that I cant google image search and find any yellow ones with stupid old M42 glass hanging of it. Its like the yellow ones are just simply too good for such a treatment. Well.. I think it's up to me to cut this little puppy down to size.

That's just a stupid excuse... and I'm saving for a holiday.

Oh heaven forbid if the girlfriend finds out. I suppose I could just put it on the shelf next to the Pentacon's.. maybe up the back... Under the Brownie..

Ok here's how this is going to go down. You don't tell my wife, I won't tell your wife... Reads... errr may have just purchased the Yellow, 40mm with the Adorama kit. ...

How the hell do I think I can hide a bright shiny yellow camera from her? :S ... I suppose if i keep it from her for 6months I can then claim I've had it for ages.. I feel like I'm having an affair

More importantly, how do I break this to the K10. No ... She'll understand, this is just a "different" camera. I just like it differently from you, not better, not worse...

I'm in serious sh** now guys.

Last edited by tromboads; 11-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.
11-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #18

Oooh, yeah! That yellow Yashica finder lens would look great on top of a yellow K-01 with a yellow 40. Send pictures.
11-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
errr may have just purchased the Yellow, 40mm with the Adorama kit. ...
Welcome to the cult! Please stop by Clothing Issue for your saffron robe, begging bowl, and ironic hipster t-shirt.

You could tell your gf "it was on sale", but that excuse only seems to work in the other direction.

The K10D is easier to deal with - it will just see the K-01 as its brilliant / mentally challenged younger sibling and love it for who it is. The only time I have to break up fights among my Pentaxes is when there's only one set of charged batteries.

It looks like Adorama has sold at least a dozen K-01 bundles since last night - including all the yellow ones. The cult is growing! Kidding aside, I really do enjoy my K-01. I wouldn't want it to be my only camera (too used to SLRs/dSLRs), but its differentness has pushed me to do new things, and that's good. It's even responsible for me actually participating here on the Pentax Forums after years of lurking (whether that is a mark for or against the K-01 is yet to be seen.)

11-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Dam you likeminded pentaxians. Mine is on backorder :P

and yes. if that little box got you here chatting away its been good :P
11-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I don't know what's happening but. I love my k01!! I haven't touched the k7 in a very long time XD! enjoy!
11-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dam you likeminded pentaxians. Mine is on backorder :P

and yes. if that little box got you here chatting away its been good :P
Now, if you had ordered it back when we started turning you to the Dark Side... (You would have paid more. Never mind.)

IIRC, Thursday night, Adorama/Amazon was showing 14 black / 5 yellow / 4 white just-body bundles in stock (I was just looking, honest!). The numbers are now 6-0-1. Dunno how many are backordered, and that doesn't touch other sellers/bundles with lenses, but it certainly has drawn some attention. Including the haters, apparently - that's the sort what kept me lurking for all those years. Now I'm thinking about getting a BumbleBee, just for spite...

11-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Now, if you had ordered it back when we started turning you to the Dark Side... (You would have paid more. Never mind.)

IIRC, Thursday night, Adorama/Amazon was showing 14 black / 5 yellow / 4 white just-body bundles in stock (I was just looking, honest!). The numbers are now 6-0-1. Dunno how many are backordered, and that doesn't touch other sellers/bundles with lenses, but it certainly has drawn some attention. Including the haters, apparently - that's the sort what kept me lurking for all those years. Now I'm thinking about getting a BumbleBee, just for spite...

That's taking lurking to a whole new level. Well done lol and how surprising that they sell in similar numbes.
11-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's taking lurking to a whole new level. Well done lol
I always was an over-achiever.

Dragging this thread back to the original topic (sort of), here's a shot I did with the "taped" M28/2.8 set to hyperfocal (15ft/5m @ f/8). I didn't use the Tele-Wide finder, but the train was already moving, and there wasn't time to really set up a shot, so I just clicked. Time to focus: 0.

BY "taped", I mean I've got a bit of celophane tape on the lens mount so that the K-01 treats it like an M42 screwmount lens. With Manual mode and Auto-ISO, the camera continuously meters and sets the ISO and shutter speed to a useable combo. It was slightly overexposed (no time for a test shot & chimping); I pulled it down in Post.

Last edited by THoog; 11-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.
11-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Interesting... i wouldn't have though there would be any need in "taping" the m glass, as well, there are no terminals :P

In my experience the Tak and M, K and misc sh1t I have all work as you describe on my K10d. Are you indicating that when the body terminals have some metal to be in contact with, you loose that auto functionality??
11-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, if it gets contact on one of the pins (I think it's #7), it holds the aperture on a K-mount lens wide open until the shutter fires, no matter what the aperture ring says. It's like the 'auto' pin on later M42s - same purpose, to have enough light for focusing. By tricking the camera, I don't have to use the hard-to-reach green button (unless I turn off auto-ISO). This is one of the things I love about the K-01 - it's got enough brains that I can be as dumb as I want.
11-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Back to the tele/wide finders. I have one similar to that pictured in the OP that I use on my FSU rangefinder cameras. The wide works well for 35mm lens on 35mm film and the tele is about the same as a 85mm. So, figure about the same as a 24mm and 55mm on the K-01.

Steve
11-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Back to the tele/wide finders. I have one similar to that pictured in the OP that I use on my FSU rangefinder cameras. The wide works well for 35mm lens on 35mm film and the tele is about the same as a 85mm. So, figure about the same as a 24mm and 55mm on the K-01.
That corresponds with what I have seen. For the tele-wide finders (that is, a single finder with two sets of guide lines in the view, as opposed to a finder dedicated to one lens or a "universal" type, with multiple optics), there seem to be three main types available

Tele-Wide Japan - black, three chrome bands, yellow reflective coating on optic. Available with Yashica and Lentar conversion lens pairs, probably others. Looks like a LOT of these were made.

Kaligar - brushed aluminum body (although I think I've seen one in black), orange reflective coating on optic. Available with both square and rectangular guides in the finder, depending on which camera it was intended for.

Petri - flared shape to black body. Only rectangular guides (I think), since it was intended for Petri cameras. It seems like a lot of the Petri lens kits available are missing their finder - either left on the camera or already scavenged for other use.
11-04-2012, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being a hardcore Pentaxian and a Leica shooter, I use this.
Attached Images

11-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Being a hardcore Pentaxian and a Leica shooter, I use this.
Very nice!