Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Sigh... so emotional..
QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Sp you're saying my actual witnessing of the phenomenon isn't valid?

Plus all the others who have discovered the same, don't know either?
Have I actually said this, or is this all in your head?

I've actually done the test, but that doesn't account for anything,
But I did not say it didn't account for anything did I? Again, this is in your own head.

yet a site that does a review without looking deeper will know better?
Did you actually read the in depth review at all? I really don't think they just made it up . DPreview is one of the most respected review sites I think.

I'm wondering if you actually own a K-01.
A rather unfriendly comment, AB...
Of course I own one, why on earth would I be interested otherwise?

AB, I am taking into account your comments and the comments of others, but I am not ready to just accept them without further investigation.. This is natural of a curious mind, so please don't judge me simply because I don't roll over and accept what you have said.
I am researching the topic on line at official PENTAX sites, at highly regarded review sites and beyond.
(I think even Adam did his own tests and as seen in post2 above, he makes the comment that it's not digital SR)
I have read the manual and researched the specs. Still I don't have an answer which completely satisfies me, but that's no personal reflection on you..
I'm trying to be objective until I am convinced by more evidence than looking inside the camera with the lens removed.. (Don't you think it's also possible that the mechanism is fully disabled when the camera is in video mode and no lens is detected?)
I am not a camera engineer and with respect, I don't think you are either. Just trying to (calmly) get to the bottom of it, that's all.

Cheers
Steve

05-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well Steve, that's all okay, but you seemed to give no credence at all to what others are saying about the lack of sensor based SR.

And sorry, the SR is not disabled when the lens is removed. I've watched the sensor jump madly around when it's in photo mode and when switched to

video mode, there is no movement.

With the likes of the K-5, K-7, even a K-x I have sitting around, the sensor moves in both modes, but not the K-01!

I don't know how it could be more obvious as to what that means.

I have no intention of offending you personally, but you must understand that you seemed dismissive of my findings.

Please, try the method I explained for yourself.

AB

Last edited by Mutters; 05-16-2013 at 11:52 PM.
05-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

...you seemed to give no credence at all to what others are saying about the lack of sensor based SR.
I have in fact actually stated the opposite for you..
On the other hand you're not actually keen on accepting that others say that there is..
Here's yet another site for you to dismiss if you wish:
QuoteQuote:
And, when you're shooting, that same sensor-shift system also helps with camera shake during still and video recording.
Pentax K-01 Review: Overview
And sorry, the SR is not disabled when the lens is removed. I've watched the sensor jump madly around when it's in photo mode and when switched to
video mode, there is no movement.
No need to apologise, but it would be good to you read my comment correctly and note that I spoke only of 'video mode'. I am fully aware of the movement in stills mode.

With the likes of the K-5, K-7, even a K-x I have sitting around, the sensor moves in both modes, but not the K-01!
The K0-1 is newer technology. I do not assume or expect that newer technology will act in the same way as older technology...

I don't know how it could be more obvious as to what that means.
It is not obvious to me that this means digital stabilisation. It only means you don't see movement in video mode with the lens removed.

I have no intention of offending you personally
Don't worry, I have not taken any offense.

but you must understand that you seemed dismissive of my findings.
I have not once dismissed your findings, how could I? I'm not convinced yet I simply have offered some conflicting reports for consideration.
Again, please don't expect me to roll over and accept your comments simply because you are convinced they are the only truth.

Please, try the method I explained for yourself.
Why do you assume that I have not? Is it because that I still do not agree with your own conclusions?

Let's agree to disagree or something for the moment before the mods get twitchy, okay?

Cheers
Steve
05-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

there is even a slight crop in video mode to allow for digital stabilisation.
the SR is horrible this way. really unfortunate decision.

05-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dear Steve

I'm not worried about the mods. We're not doing anything wrong. It's a healthy debate.

Now, if the SR turns itself off because it detects no lens, then it means all those M lenses are not recipients of Pentax's SR system in video mode.

That's not the case.

And turn itself off only in video mode, while happily flapping around otherwise? Surely not.

There are so many things pointing to digital SR

- the really bad rolling shutter, unwitnessed in previous models with video capability (don't know about the K-30)

- as pointed out above and elsewhere, the "cropped" sensor on instigation of video mode. Again, not a property of previous models.

- the fact that the sensor doesn't move during video mode, which also goes against the grain of previous models, and their superior mitigation of rolling shutter.

Plus, there's no way all those respected sites get it right every time.

Cheers

AB
05-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #21
ghl

From Imaging Resource:

"Although the Pentax K-01's incorporates a sensor shift-type image stabilization system, this is disabled during video recording, in favor of what Pentax calls 'Movie SR'; in essence, digital image stabilization. Unlike a mechanical system, this allows completely silent operation, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. The system works by creating the video feed from a 'window' of pixels in one particular location on the sensor, with the location of the window moved around the sensor as needed to correct for motion. For this system to function, you need to leave a band of "spare" pixels around the periphery of the sensor, and in the process, the K-01 effectively increases the effective focal length crop significantly. While for telephoto videos this may in fact be desirable, it means that if you want the widest possible field of view, you'll want to disable image stabilization.
Note that even if you disable Movie SR, you don't recoup the wide-angle capabilities. The crop is increased at all times when in movie mode."

Pentax K-01 Compact System Camera Video - Review
08-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Switched from pro Nikon shooter back in 1989 after experiencing the Pentax look shooting with the "35-105 f3.5 A" and never looked back. Recently I got a K-01 strictly for film making so SR and AF are of no use to me anyway and I am very pleased with the film look over Nikon or Canon.
The only thing I would like to see fixed on this little gem, is a hack to disable the sensor crop in film mode.
FYI Focus peaking basically only works (and badly) on telephoto lenses. Solution: Turn off AF and press OK to enable focus zoom and roll value wheel to select 2, 4, or 6 power and even use cursor to move around for off center focusing. "Happy focusing" I gotta go find a hack to disable the sensor crop in film mode.

08-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #23
Banned

The SR on movie is a digital one. The sensor does not move. The physical SR is only for stills.

The size off the area used for movie is a little bit smaller. Your crop-factor to FF is then (around) 1.7x so you lose some of your wide-angle option, but offcourse gaine some extra tele-length.
08-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MrStupid Quote
FYI Focus peaking basically only works (and badly) on telephoto lenses. Solution: Turn off AF and press OK to enable focus zoom and roll value wheel to select 2, 4, or 6 power and even use cursor to move around for off center focusing. "Happy focusing" I gotta go find a hack to disable the sensor crop in film mode.
The focus peaking also works very well with fast lenses at close distance.
08-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Didn't we already do this conversation?