Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #1

=about K-01's stabilizer in video mode=

Hi,
I'm interested in k-01 or k-30 but have some questions about its stabilizer (sr).I've read from some reviews and they said that the stabilizer in video mode is only a Digital stabilzer NOT the sensor shift stabilizer.Is that correct?

Thanks....

10-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK there is no digital stabilizer in the K-01. SR is active during video if enabled, and can sometimes even be heard.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sr196 Quote
Is that correct?
It's fun to take the lens off of your camera while it is operating in live mode and watch the sensor move when SR is on.
10-31-2012, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

This is incorrect. Unlike past pentax camera the k-01 and k-30 use digital stabilization instead of mechanical in video mode. I guess the intention for this was to reduce mechanical noise from the mechanical stabilizer (which is not really an issue in the k-5 by the way). However Pentax have managed to seriously cock-up the implementation.

With digital "movie SR" the sensor readout is cropped so that the image can be tracked.

Also, even if "movie SR" is disabled the additional sensor crop remains - permanently reducing the angle of view of all lenses when used in movie mode.

I think the digital image stabilization that is being used is a hardware implementation in the Fujitsu Milbeaut processor which is used in the K-01 - I think the problem with excessive "jello" is because the Milbeaut stabilization feature is design for global shutter CCD sensors in point and shoot cameras. As such it probably does not accommodate rolling shutter delays which exacerbates the jello effect.

This is poor engineering and it's disappointing to see Pentax let this lazy design out the door.

I am surprised this issue has not had much attention as it could be addressed in the future, if given enough whinging by users.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK there is no digital stabilizer in the K-01. SR is active during video if enabled, and can sometimes even be heard.

Last edited by Ayoh; 11-01-2012 at 05:01 AM.
10-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When you pick up a K-01 and it is off, you can feel the sensor moving inside .. it most definitely has mechanical shake reduction and it does work! The recent firmware update helped with this also. For movies best bet is to turn SR off.
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #6

But still,

there is something weird about the stabilization in the K-01 as compared to the K-7 or K-5. To me, the stabilization is unusable in the K-01 in video mode, so I turn it off.... I just have to use a tripod. (and then the video is sweeeeeeet!)
10-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

I had to return my K-01 because of excessive jello/rolling shutter. Basically, if SR is on, you see the jello vividly even just holding the camera in hand. If you turn off the SR, the jello goes away but now you have very jumpy video unless you use a tripod. This is just a mess and Pentax is really hurting it's K-01 sales with this issue. The main reason many of us tried the K-01 was for improved video, but the truth is the K-5 has a LOT less rolling shutter and is usable with SR on.

If Pentax fixed this, I would gladly repurchase the K-01, as I really like the yellow version!
10-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My comments were only in relation to SR in video mode. Of course the mechanical system is still there and used for still photography. However unlike past Pentax cameras it is no longer used in video mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
When you pick up a K-01 and it is off, you can feel the sensor moving inside .. it most definitely has mechanical shake reduction and it does work! The recent firmware update helped with this also. For movies best bet is to turn SR off.

05-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
However unlike past Pentax cameras it is no longer used in video mode.
Are you sure about this? Can you submit some evidence?
PENTAX website implies that the K-01 uses the same sensor-shift
Pentax K-01 - Digital Mirrorless - PENTAX Photo

05-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ayoh got it right

Sensor shift is for stills only.

Just try it.

Switch it on with no lens attached and set the focal length.

In still capture mode you can watch the sensor jumping around.

Try it in movie mode and there's no sensor movement.

There is some noise, but it doesn't move the sensor.

AB
05-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Sensor shift is for stills only.

Just try it.

Switch it on with no lens attached and set the focal length.

In still capture mode you can watch the sensor jumping around.

Try it in movie mode and there's no sensor movement.

There is some noise, but it doesn't move the sensor.

AB
Absolutely. If you are shooting still photos and then hit the red button, you actually see your field of view shrink as the digital shake reduction kicks in. It makes your wide angle lenses not quite so wide in video mode, in particular.
05-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There are conflicting assumptions about this. Many review sites and the PENTAX website as shown, say and/or imply that the same SR system is used for video as well as stills. Now it may be modified use owing to the cropped sensor usage for 1080 or 720p footage, (hence the field-of-view change in video mode referred to above) but SS-SR none-the-less.
I've been trying to find indisputable official evidence one way other to satisfy my curiosity, not even the manual is clear enough.
Certainly, digital SR would be a horrible disappointment and would surely degrade the footage when you absolutely wanted to use SR.
05-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Sledger, the absolute irrefutable evidence is watching the sensor NOT moving with SR activated in movie mode.

I don't think it could be any clearer.

The other evidence is the exceptionally offensive rolling shutter affected video footage.

AB

p.s.

What we could hope for is a firmware update that restores sensor movement SR in movie mode, but I think the chance of that is ~zero.
05-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Some pretty trusted review sites who have tested the K-01 tell me different.
Example:
QuoteQuote:
The K-01's video footage displays some of the most severe rolling shutter artefacts that we've seen for a while, and this clip, shot at the long end of an 18-135mm zoom lens, is distinctly wobbly.
The rolling shutter effect seems to be exacerbated, unfortunately, by the K-01's shake reduction function, which if you remember, works by shifting the sensor in response to camera movement to counteract camera shake. Unfortunately, the movement of the sensor, coupled with the severe rolling shutter effect creates distinctly odd-looking footage, which looks rather as if it has been projected onto jello.
Pentax K-01 Review: Digital Photography Review
05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Some pretty trusted review sites who have tested the K-01 tell me different.
Example:

Pentax K-01 Review: Digital Photography Review
Sp you're saying my actual witnessing of the phenomenon isn't valid?

Plus all the others who have discovered the same, don't know either?

I've actually done the test, but that doesn't account for anything, yet a site that does a review without looking deeper will know better?

I'm wondering if you actually own a K-01.

Cheers

AB