Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I thought the same -- I let it sit for a few more minutes while I worried , but after a few moments of silence it woke up and felt fine!
Mine didn't wake back up, it just went black for a period of time and I freaked a bit.
I turned it off, and when turned back on it showed the new firmware was loaded.

11-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mine didn't wake back up, it just went black for a period of time and I freaked a bit.
I turned it off, and when turned back on it showed the new firmware was loaded.
Yup, exactly what mine did :P
11-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Ha, same here. I left it alone for a while after the update so that I was certain it was really actually done. I felt like a gambler for a while - the rush of "did I just lose it?" but then "nope, its a winner!"
11-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax USA website and the Readme.txt file say the camera will shut itself off after the update so I wasn't at all concerned - but I WAS surprised at how quickly the update processed.

11-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Wow seems the new price for the K-01 really hit the sweet spot for a lot of folks. It's a great camera and I'm glad more folks are finding out about it. Maybe this shows that there is a space for this type of camera in the Pentax product line and newer models will follow up (with better initial prices) to succeeded the K-01.
11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mine came today (well, Friday, but I opened it today). I bought this for my wife, because she loves to shoot with a screen; however, so far it is fun for me, too. She loved it, too, but I'm the one playing with it. Oh well.
11-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Mine came today (well, Friday, but I opened it today). I bought this for my wife, because she loves to shoot with a screen; however, so far it is fun for me, too. She loved it, too, but I'm the one playing with it. Oh well.
It really is a FUN little camera, isn't it. I don't feel like I'm shooting with a DSLR, but I'm getting the files I want as if I were....which is fun in one way and kind of a weird way to be taking photos in another :P

I'm enjoying the zany yellow, too
11-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
It really is a FUN little camera, isn't it. I don't feel like I'm shooting with a DSLR, but I'm getting the files I want as if I were....which is fun in one way and kind of a weird way to be taking photos in another :P

I'm enjoying the zany yellow, too
I got the basic, inconspicuous, black. It blends with the lenses. I'm still learning focus peaking and face recognition, and taking photos of whatever is in the room. It will be nice to get it out on some real subject.

11-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got the basic, inconspicuous, black.
I've been referring to it as "Classic Black", but after this weekend, it might be more appropriate to call it "Black Friday".
11-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #85
Pentaxian

I'm loving the focus peaking for manual focus! What a fun new toy, I still can't stop playing with it.
11-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I've been referring to it as "Classic Black", but after this weekend, it might be more appropriate to call it "Black Friday".
LOL - nice! "Black Friday" black

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I'm loving the focus peaking for manual focus! What a fun new toy, I still can't stop playing with it.

TELL ME ABOUT IT! Where has focus peaking been all my life? I LOVE this thing! I have a weird visual processing thing that makes manual focus very very difficult - focus peaking makes it so completely do-able. Just simple! My only desire for focus peaking is that on the next firmware upgrade, Pentax gives the option to change the *color* - having it be white is not useful in several different kinds of lighting.
11-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The basic black reminds me very much of my old K1000. I'm loving my K-01 now. Haven't taken anything exceptional yet, but I'm enjoying the camera very much.

I *almost* wish I had just gotten the body, and had skipped the 40mm lens. My Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 feels like it was made for this camera. Perfect balance, amazingly sharp photos and no front focusing problems like on my K-x. I'm enjoying the feel of the camera - it's a lot heftier than I expected, so the Tamron lens feels at home attached to it. Best part is, even my girlfriend can operate the camera without needing a tutorial. Which means, every now and then there's actually a photo of me

Don't get me wrong, I still like that 40mm XS lens, it makes the camera pocketable (jacket pocket of course), and I do like shooting primes. the XS seems to backfocus quite a bit on my Kx though.

Charles.
11-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
LOL - nice! "Black Friday" black

TELL ME ABOUT IT! Where has focus peaking been all my life? I LOVE this thing! I have a weird visual processing thing that makes manual focus very very difficult - focus peaking makes it so completely do-able. Just simple! My only desire for focus peaking is that on the next firmware upgrade, Pentax gives the option to change the *color* - having it be white is not useful in several different kinds of lighting.
I agree that the white outline of the actual subject in focus is a much better visual cue than the little octagon thingie.

OTOH, for manual focus it still seems to me that the outline stays visible longer (for more of a turn of the focus ring) than the point of optimum focus. This was the same issue I always had with AF confirm on manual focus. Perhaps with time I will see subtle differences to indicate more closely the precise point of focus.

It is hard to put this thing down, though.
11-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that the white outline of the actual subject in focus is a much better visual cue than the little octagon thingie.

OTOH, for manual focus it still seems to me that the outline stays visible longer (for more of a turn of the focus ring) than the point of optimum focus. This was the same issue I always had with AF confirm on manual focus. Perhaps with time I will see subtle differences to indicate more closely the precise point of focus.
I think of it less as the point of optimum focus and more showing the depth of field, or if not DoF, a zone of 'acceptably sharp'. Point it at darker carpet with some tecture, and you can make the zone slither across the floor. So if I'm really loooking for a tight focus on something, I don't approach focusing as "there's the white edge, it's in focus" so much as finding the range where what I want has a white edge, then splitting the difference. Zooming in with the OK button can help for finer control.

It is hard to put this thing down, though.
I have that problem, too, but that's because I use a wrist strap.
11-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been using peaking either with fast lenses, or my mirror lens which has a very narrow depth of field. So, it's easier to focus because the zone in which the peaking happens is so small. I can see it being more difficult with a slower lens. I just adjust halfway between when the peaking starts to fade, and usually that's when the peaking is the brightest/most pronounced.

Charles.