Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Peaking is a nice confirmation that you are in the ball park, but it is no substitute for manually seeing the focus point. To me, it shares this function with using other AF indicators as confirmation. I haven't shot enough with focus peaking to know how the outlines compare to my perception of depth of field, but the octagon indicator would stay on past the depth of field as my eye perceived it.

11-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My eye can't perceive correct focus, so the peaking is my only hope, and it works wonders.

Charles.
11-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #93

Wow, it feels great to have read every post in this thread and experience a dejavu of emotions that went through my mind while I was looking for a DSLR, and how I finally narrowed down to the Pentax-K01, & the same feelings of "THAT FIRMWARE UPDATE WAS FAAAAAST"

The very first picture I took with the Camera? A stunning portrait image, which I shall try to post later on in the thread. I'm new into serious photography and the K-01 is a great companion!!

Regards,
Vishnu
11-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I probably would have been disappointed had I paid $700 for this camera, to be honest. The focusing isn't fast enough to be a $700 camera, and the low light performance is iffy with anythign but a fast lens. But at $330 or $450 with a lens, I am loving every second of ownership :P

Charles.

11-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Focus peaking has brought new life to the Rok 85 f1.4 lens we bought. We both have calibrated Katzeye split/microprism screens in our k5 and k5IIs with the Pentax magnified eyecup and still miss a good 40% of the focus point at 20 feet or less with f1.4 and f2. Really frustrating and we were thinking of selling the lens. Got the yellow Ko1 yesterday and shot about 50 shots with that lens and nailed every one with the peaking, and quick focus too! Great for use during a wedding we think, will try next time.

D&K
11-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #96

David,
That's a great use case scenario for focus peaking! I'm just curious, wouldn't it be ready for a decent developer/coder to change the color of peaking?
11-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ugh, ever since the price drop I've been struggling to not buy one (self control!). I figured once the cyber weekend had passed, the price would shoot back up and the feeling of want would pass.

And then lo and behold they've decided to keep it at the low price . I am slowly cracking . . .

11-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So hey... I just had a thought. This is CDAF focusing only... does that mean I can get away with using my old PL (not C-PL) filter that I used to use on my K1000? I've got them in a few more sizes, and they're old and were cheap -- but far better quality than the crap chinese stuff on ebay these days.

Charles.
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Cracked

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Ugh, ever since the price drop I've been struggling to not buy one (self control!). I figured once the cyber weekend had passed, the price would shoot back up and the feeling of want would pass.

And then lo and behold they've decided to keep it at the low price . I am slowly cracking . . .
Going on the theory that one can never have too many cameras, I cracked at the $316 price and now have a bright yellow friend following me around everywhere.

The body is just a bit chunkier than I had imagined, and I know people love or hate the design, but to me there is something cool and different about it, along the lines of new/old VW beetle, new/old Camaro and new/old Cooper. There is a term in the hotrod world called resto-mod, but the K01 is more like retro-mod.

I already own the 40ltd pancake and the DA15 among many other lenses, but I'm thinking the DA21 would be the perfect walk-around lens if I had to choose just one.

This certainly isn't the camera for all purposes, but my plans are to have it with me almost all the time which will allow me to shoot more at times where I would probably not have dragged along one of my K5s.

Time will tell how well it will play this role.

Off to procure or trade for a DA21 and also some sort of wrap/cover.

I still have not figured out where to go to get my secret K01 cult ring? Also, do we have a handshake or other cult greeting?

Ray
11-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote

I still have not figured out where to go to get my secret K01 cult ring? Also, do we have a handshake or other cult greeting?

Ray
no ring but your robe should be in the mail about a month after your purchase, and on every other pentax day we sacrifice a virgin canikon user to the pentax gods in hopes that he will some day manifest those lenses that protrude into the camera into our mortal realm... this will be held at any of your local costcos that sell pentax gear you should get a flyer in the mail...
05-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #101

One of the more recent pictures taken with old manual lenses, using focus peaking!

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/22734956@N08/16878109614/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/22734956@N08/17498530222/

I've a few more pictures I'm working on and haven't updated. So many things to do ! :-)

Regards ,
Vishnu
05-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Careful, don't call the K-01 a dog or a dud unless you want lectures on why its such an amazing camera.
Careful, don't call anyone's anything a dud, no one made you the arbitrator of dudness.

It's terrible when people even have to defend their choice of camera. That's what is wrong in this train of thought. There are so many people who think they know so much about cameras, they can decide what's right for everyone and let everyone know when they think other folks made the wrong choice.

There's dud cameras, and there's dud people. If dudness is going to be your passion.. odds are......