Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay, now I just can't NOT buy one

$447 at Adorama for a K-01 w/40mm XS, a 16GB memory card, an extra battery, and a case. Payday cannot get here soon enough!

I was going to hold off and get a K-30, but this price is just too good, and for a camera I'll be more likely to take with me at that.

Charles.

11-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #2

Wow, that is some deal. I was looking at it near $700 a while back. Why the drop? Is Pentax stopping production? Amazing price!
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Why the drop? Is Pentax stopping production?
I have three theories, none of them any more valid than the other:
1) They are making room for the next model. Based on the little information I've seen, this doesn't seem likely, but you never know.
2) They are giving up on the K-01.
3) The instant rebate in September bumped sales (it pushed me over the brink), so they are going further with that approach to "prime the pump".

Last edited by THoog; 11-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.
11-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have three theories, none of them any more valid than the other:
1) They are making room for the next model. Based on the little information I've seen, this doesn't seem likely, but you never know.
2) They are giving up on the K-01.
3) The rebate in September bumped sales (it pushed me over the brink), so they are going further with that approach.
I think "2" is the most likely scenario...unless the K-02, comes with the ability to output HDMI video while recording and some kind of OVF/EVF. In addition, do away with the flimsy rubber door, traffic light buttons, dedicated HDR mode - and a few other things. Basically go back to the drawing board with a MILC that accepts native K lenses.

While the K-01 folks exist, they are not a vocal group and the K-01 has hardly gotten people into Pentax like the K5 and K30 - and dare I say it - the Q.

The Q attracts far more hipsters than a "designed" K-01 by Marc Newsom.

11-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think i will let some micro43 gear go for this, as you say quite the bargain. My gf2 was mostly for video so why not a k-01 instead?
11-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

See this thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/203960-k-01-346-adorama-new.html
Also, it might be that Pentax gave up on this line and is now just trying to sell as many as possible in order to at least get people to buy lenses for them and maybe get some brand followers. Because at this price, it really is super cheap. I mean, used K-r's go for more than that, and at least when it comes to IQ, the K-01 is better.
11-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Banned

Thinking about gifting one to a friend that helped me out through a move...

11-02-2012, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Careful, don't call the K-01 a dog or a dud unless you want lectures on why its such an amazing camera.
11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Careful, don't call the K-01 a dog or a dud unless you want lectures on why its such an amazing camera.
LOL. Warning noted.
11-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
I too am thinking on getting a K-01, though I already have a K5 and just recently bought a Q. I like the Q a lot but it does have its limitations and the K-01 looks like a tempting in between size. So I could have Papa Cam, Mama Cam, and Baby Cam.
With the Q going for $299 with 8.5mm lens from Frys and The K-01 for $450 with extra battery and 40XS its a tough time to be a Pentaxian Seriously, if I didn't have a 40Ltd then the $450 for the K-01, Di90 battery, case, 16gb SanDisk SD card, and 40XS would be calling to me. But I do have the 40Ltd so the Q is actually more attractive because of its size and crop factor for those telephoto lenses. Add the new firmware update that seems to be an amazing step up and its looking like a very nice option.
11-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I know that this deal has prevented at least one forum member form jumping ship, so it's definitely a great move by Pentax!

I don't think that Pentax considers this camera a failure, but it certainly hasn't generated the amount of interest that they had expected. The design is probably mostly to blame, but it's hard to say

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I know that this deal has prevented at least one forum member form jumping ship, so it's definitely a great move by Pentax!

I don't think that Pentax considers this camera a failure, but it certainly hasn't generated the amount of interest that they had expected. The design is probably mostly to blame, but it's hard to say
At this price it is attractive, genuinely. I handled the 40XS and that is why I own the 40Ltd - I just couldn't deal with how flimsy it felt and the (what is it?) 23mm accessories. If you buy the bundle and sell off the bag and camera you end up with a lens that is optically solid, a genuine Di90 battery, and a great SD card all for very little. IF you can sell the K-01....
11-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's attractive even for those that don't have an Pentax lenses yet- think about it. For $400, (K-01 plus an older manual prime) you can get the same IQ that you'd need to pay at least twice as much for in a DSLR or competitor's mirrorless.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
But... LaurenOE said K-01 owners weren't a vocal bunch!

Although 'dud' is sadly true - sometimes a design takes off, sometimes it doesn't - I don't think 'dog' is fair. (Is this the "lecture"?) It does what it does pretty well. If it had its various quirks AND took lousy pictures, then I'd call it a dog. In some ways, I view it as a logical successor to the K-x - small, good IQ, some nice features, and one or two omissions that just don't make sense.
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I've got a K-x now, and to be honest I've loved the K-01 design for quite a while, but just couldn't justify the cost when the K-30 wasn't too much more. Now the K-30 is like double the price, and the K-01 has the 40mm pancake I've been lusting after since it was announced... it's just a no-brainer at this point. I'm looking forward to the smaller form factor... it'll be like shooting with a K1000 again. If only I could get black and silver in the States...

Charles.