Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
But... LaurenOE said K-01 owners weren't a vocal bunch!

Although 'dud' is sadly true - sometimes a design takes off, sometimes it doesn't - I don't think 'dog' is fair. (Is this the "lecture"?) It does what it does pretty well. If it had its various quirks AND took lousy pictures, then I'd call it a dog. In some ways, I view it as a logical successor to the K-x - small, good IQ, some nice features, and one or two omissions that just don't make sense.
Well...I just bought a Q with the 5-15mm and Q to K adapter from Adorama...so I guess I just weighed in on the two awesome deals going on.

Metal body of the Q, the updated firmware with focus peaking and a true Pentax adapter pushed me over the "edge".

11-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was considering a Q too... still am honestly. Can never have too many cameras! Unfortunately, too little money is the curse...

Charles
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well...I just bought a Q with the 5-15mm and Q to K adapter from Adorama...so I guess I just weighed in on the two awesome deals going on.

Metal body of the Q, the updated firmware with focus peaking and a true Pentax adapter pushed me over the "edge".

Lauren - I'd love to hear your impressions of the official Pentax adapter for the Q.
11-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I know that this deal has prevented at least one forum member form jumping ship, so it's definitely a great move by Pentax!

I don't think that Pentax considers this camera a failure, but it certainly hasn't generated the amount of interest that they had expected. The design is probably mostly to blame, but it's hard to say
That is one way to look at it, but I see it a bit differently. In the short run, it certainly will sell out camera stock more quickly. In the long run, though, it signals bargain basement and then conditions buyers down the road to be far more hesitant and suspicious of pricing. It is one thing to gradually reduce price as a matter of product cycle, and quite another to send this kind of message about a new (or perhaps ill-fated) line by wholesale dumping.

We know it is a good, well-made camera with marked flaws that are not a major issue for a fairly narrow range of typically advanced users - most of whom have other bodies that cover the unmet needs. Hardly anyone who is a casual-yet-interested observer of the camera will come to a favorable conclusion about the camera now. I am trying to figure out how the Pentax marketing gurus could have done a worse job on this camera.

11-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Lauren - I'd love to hear your impressions of the official Pentax adapter for the Q.
If Pentax would have updated the firmware of the K-01 to include HDMI-out while videoing, then I would have gone that route and used the K-01 as my secondary video platform.

I will definitely report back about the Q adapter when it is released.

As for the Q?

Just don't look up my old posts where I made fun/mocked the Q. Ugh. I was one of the more "vocal" critics of it.

Crow anyone?

11-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
If Pentax would have updated the firmware of the K-01 to include HDMI-out while videoing, then I would have gone that route and used the K-01 as my secondary video platform.

I will definitely report back about the Q adapter when it is released.

As for the Q?

Just don't look up my old posts where I made fun/mocked the Q. Ugh. I was one of the more "vocal" critics of it.

Crow anyone?

I look forward to your 'frank' assessment of the adapter. As for earlier comments, consistency is the mark of small minds.... Seriously, the firmware update for the Q makes it a MUCH more useful platform IMHO - at least that is my story and I am sticking to it.
11-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
WMW

Production ceases on K-01

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Wow, that is some deal. I was looking at it near $700 a while back. Why the drop? Is Pentax stopping production? Amazing price!
Yes, Ilovemy pentax, production on the K-01, K-5, K-5 Limited, and Pentax Q have ceased. All good things must come to an end. It just goes to show that a bit of patience can yield substantial financial savings if we are willing to wait. I'm glad I did. The K-01 body for less than $350 USD is a stellar deal. At this price it makes me wonder what the mark-up is on photo gear?!! I doubt that Ricoh/Pentax are losing dollars by offering the body or lens kits at less-than-retail.

11-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I might have to buy one of these just because it's too good of a deal. And in a way I can make money doing it since I hesitate to sell my backup (K200D) and I honestly prefer my A50f1.7 to my DA40. I could really use a more compact body to go with my K5 while still allowing me to use my DA15.
11-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by WMW Quote
Yes, Ilovemy pentax, production on the K-01, K-5, K-5 Limited, and Pentax Q have ceased. All good things must come to an end. It just goes to show that a bit of patience can yield substantial financial savings if we are willing to wait. I'm glad I did. The K-01 body for less than $350 USD is a stellar deal. At this price it makes me wonder what the mark-up is on photo gear?!! I doubt that Ricoh/Pentax are losing dollars by offering the body or lens kits at less-than-retail.
Pentax is cutting all those cams out? Is Pentax turning into Kodak? That is a wide cut in products. Was also thinking about the Q. Are they replacing Q with a Q2?
11-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Pentax is cutting all those cams out? Is Pentax turning into Kodak? That is a wide cut in products. Was also thinking about the Q. Are they replacing Q with a Q2?
The K-5 is out of production but the K-5 II and IIs are its replacements.

The K-01 was an experiment that failed.

The Q has been replaced by the Q10 (in a wide range of colors in Japan and 3 in the US) with a very serious update to the firmware for all original Q owners.

Electronics move forward at a steady pace. The K-5 is 2 years old. The Q nearly 18 months old and its replacement was announced in September. No surprises here, with the possible exception for some zealous fans of the K-01. But if you want a K-01 they are on a Fire Sale at Adorama and B&H with $450 getting you the camera, 40XS lens, 16gb SanDisk card, extra battery, SD card case, and Pentax camera bag.

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-03-2012 at 06:30 PM.
11-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

There is already a Q10 available now, its the successor to the Q. It is slightly different but also kind of not. Pentax is now also making K-5II and K-5IIs.
With Q10, K-5II, K-5IIs, and K-30 I think the company is still okay. They are probably working on unannounced things as well. However, if you want a mirrorless K-mount camera, the K-01 might be your last chance for a while.
11-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMW Quote
this is nonsense. The K-5's were replaced with more advanced K-5's as well as the Q. And you're just speculating that the K-01 has ceased production. It could be argued that this is the correct price point the camera and it wouldn't be shocking if it's still profitable considering how much content has been removed from the K30 and K5. It's a disappointment perhaps but at $350 it's a pretty awesome entry level camera with the K5 sensor.
11-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just bought the yellow for the hell of it from Crutchfield. Adorama and BH were sold out.
11-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #29
Forum Member

I purchased the K-01 last night from buydig for 391.95. It included both the 18-55 and 50-200 lens. Could not resist at that price...
11-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigCTM Quote
I purchased the K-01 last night from buydig for 391.95. It included both the 18-55 and 50-200 lens. Could not resist at that price...
Very nice deal. Enjoy your new camera.