Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Not sure why I never really considered one of these... because this thing is great! One day I'll actually remove the DA40 and try it on my K-5, but that might be weeks. K-01=Keeper
Same here. I never really thought much about getting one of these. I've tried the Panasonic G series cameras and really like a lot about them but could never get past the noise. I'm really loving this K-01 so far. I took a few night shots and with a little processing in Lightroom I can't believe they were taken at 3200 ISO! Some of the best I've seen and the 40mm lens is great. Very sharp even at 2.8. For me image quality is what matters most and I couldn't be happier. This is one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. It really is a great deal at the price they are going for.

11-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Not sure why I never really considered one of these... because this thing is great! One day I'll actually remove the DA40 and try it on my K-5, but that might be weeks. K-01=Keeper
When it first came out, I posted why this body was not drawing me in. For my eyes, an optical VF is better and my Kx was plenty small.

However, for my wife, it is the opposite. She picks up a DSLR, looks for the LCD screen and gets annoyed finding the live view button. She has a great eye, but not that much interest in manual control. This will be her Xmas present. I expect she will find a mode that matches her P&S and go with it, but now she will have my lenses and a great sensor.

Really, a smaller xs version of the kit lens would be a nice accessory for her.
11-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dvest Quote
I've tried the Panasonic G series cameras and really like a lot about them but could never get past the noise. I'm really loving this K-01 so far. I took a few night shots and with a little processing in Lightroom I can't believe they were taken at 3200 ISO!
My GF2 and Oly 17mm were sold to pay for the K-01, and for me it's clearly a no-regrets trade. My auto-iso range is set to 4000 on the K-5 and K01; NeatImage has received very little use since the sweet-16 sensor came into my life.
11-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, where can I get a 27mm-49mm step-up ring so I can use my CPL? Or 27mm CPL and hood for a decent price?

Difficulty: Can't be ebay. (Need to give GF Christmas present ideas

Charles.

11-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #65
Veteran Member

A quick check at adorama didn't show a 27 to 49 step up ring although someone must sell it. At Adorama you would need go 27 to 37 and 37 to 49.
11-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is, of course, if Adorama ever sends me my camera. Got the bag and memory card last week. Still waiting for the actual camera...

Charles.
11-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine was shipped via UPS on the 15th from B&H, and arrived in NJ on the 16th.
It's still there, according to tracking, but supposed to arrive here tomorrow.
We shall see.
I'm getting antsy to fire that mother up!

11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, me too. Looked at my bank account just now, Adorama charged my account, and I checked my order status online and my K01 is marked as "Packed". Which means it will likely be shipped tomorrow. The spare battery is still backordered though. As long as I have the camera before Saturday morning, I'll be a happy man.

Charles.
11-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #69

I just ordered one, ive been itching to come back to pentax for a long time. When i saw the price drop, i put my sony a580 + lenses on ebay. Im going to have a camera with the same IQ + focus peaking + compact to carry with me everywhere plus $800 left over. NICE!
11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #70
Site Supporter

A couple of weeks ago, I found a yellow one in Australia on special for $399 with 18-55 DAL lens. Black is priced $50 more. At that price it was a bargain and I ordered it online. It was delivered from Perth to Melbourne in 3 working days.
Pentax K-01 Yellow w/ 18-55mm Lens
It takes a bit of getting used to, but so far I am impressed. I will post a more detailed report in near future with some sample photos.
11-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by VladM Quote
A couple of weeks ago, I found a yellow one in Australia on special for $399 with 18-55 DAL lens. Black is priced $50 more. At that price it was a bargain and I ordered it online. It was delivered from Perth to Melbourne in 3 working days.
Pentax K-01 Yellow w/ 18-55mm Lens
It takes a bit of getting used to, but so far I am impressed. I will post a more detailed report in near future with some sample photos.
Would be interested to get your thoughts on how well the 18-55 DAL lens works with the K01 in terms of AF speed & accuracy. I've currently go the 40xs setup and looking to pick up a zoom for it.
11-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #72
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
Would be interested to get your thoughts on how well the 18-55 DAL lens works with the K01 in terms of AF speed & accuracy. I've currently go the 40xs setup and looking to pick up a zoom for it.
I have played a little with the 18-55 but do not intend to keep it - have better lenses. Will put it on the market shortly, along with the K20 and some other lenses (time t be brutal and sell what does not get much use).
From the little use I had with this lens, the AF seems fine, as good as on my K20. The contrast and colours are good, but it need to be stepped down to F8-11 for decent sharpness.
11-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have several zooms. 28-75 Tamron f2.8, 35-70 Pentax F, and the 18-55.

The 35-75 doesn't go wide enough, and the 18-55 doesn't get in close enough. The 28-75 range is great. However, I do find myself grabbing the 18-55 when I go to motorcycle and car shows, or anywhere I'll be photographing buildings. That 18mm wide end is more useful than you'd think under those conditions. It's a good lens. Not a great lens, but you can pick one up used for a good price usually.

That being said, the 35-70 is a HUGE bargain - you can pick one up for $50-$75 off of eBay, and it's a solid performer.

Now, today I just got my camera, and I'm going to charge the battery, load the new BIOS on it, and start shooting. I may even post pictures of all of my lenses mounted onto the sucker.

Charles.
11-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Congrats to everyone whose cameras have come in! My crazy-yellow K-01 arrived today....and the only lens that had arrived so far is my FA100-300 4.7....so I'm shooting indoors at 4.7 at ISO 6400 and driving my family nuts

A word to the wise - the processor on this thing is so effing fast that the firmware update never even got to the "updating" screen like my K-5 used to - it just shut off less than two seconds after the update started. About gave me a heart attack - thought I'd semi-bricked my camera and would be shipping it back for a reset.

Nope - it just really IS that fast.

Having a fantastic time with this little beastie so far. Everyone enjoy your new gear over the holiday!
11-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
A word to the wise - the processor on this thing is so effing fast that the firmware update never even got to the "updating" screen like my K-5 used to - it just shut off less than two seconds after the update started. About gave me a heart attack - thought I'd semi-bricked my camera and would be shipping it back for a reset.

Nope - it just really IS that fast.
I thought the same -- I let it sit for a few more minutes while I worried , but after a few moments of silence it woke up and felt fine!